1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Star Trek: Discovery

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Cloudane, 24 July 2016.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

So this is a thing now and it's coming January. Excited?

I'm a bit disappointed that it appears to be TOS era (going by ship style, logo, font style etc), being one of the many longstanding fans who's been crying out for a post-Voyager continuation, on the other hand I like how they've been saying it'll be designed to be progressive. We live in a world right now where progressive is seen as bad, but if any entertainment can pull it off, this can. Basically, I'm cautiously hyped...

2. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

Can't say I'm a big fan of the ship design, even the NX style looked better and that was set before the TOS era. This looks like some sort of Klingon hybrid....will still watch it though :p

Also TOS, TNG, DS9 and now Star Trek Discovery................hmm

#2 MCtoastie, 25 July 2016
    Last edited: 25 July 2016
    Cloudane likes this.
  3. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I'm not sure. I think they're going by a reboot era look for their ship, font and graphics. I think this could be a reboot timeline series (because it's current), but TBH, there's literally nothing here to say about this.
    If this is Prime timeline set, then I could imagine it being at some point between Nemesis and the non-canon STO.

4. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

As I understand it, the new series will be taking place in the 'prime' timeline at some point between the end of Enterprise and the start of the original series, at some point in the early federation. The registration of the ship, NCC-1031, seems to be the biggest hint at the show taking place pre-original series.

As to the ship itself, I'm not a huge fan of the design, so I hope it gets some refinement before the show starts. That said, I am looking forward to the show, there hasn't been any new TV Star Trek for years now, so it's about time it made a come back. Bryan Fuller is a HUGE Trek nerd and has written episodes for previous series, so he knows his stuff, give me confidence that it'll be pretty good.

MCtoastie likes this.
  5. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Do we have a source for this?

6. Max Apogee

Speculation mostly. Fuller did an interview with ain't it cool news where he said that there was a clue to when the show is being set in the comic con clip and that the registration number of the ship had something to do with it (or words to that effect). I'm at work right now, but I'll try to dig out the article when I get home.

7. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Because I don't know if people have seen it yet, and I don't know if it counts as a spoiler I thought this TV series has continuity from Star Trek Beyond. In other words, I think it's reboot timeline, and there's a reason why I think it's the case.
    So:
    The Enterprise gets dispatched to visit the planet where Krall is, and the journey is through a nebula of some kind. The Commodore says that only one other ship is more advanced than the Enterprise, and that ship is still under construction. Now, considering that Discovery was announced around the same time as Beyond's release, then I would say that it'd be logical to set the two beside each other.

From a production stand point, having it in the reboot timeline makes sence also, because they don't have to explain to viewers that this is somehow not in the same timeline or that the reboot series has little to do with this. I'd say that the reboots have drawn in a new audience, a lot of whom are not familiar with anything else in Star Trek, and more who are probably only familiar with the widely available Original Series. Post Voyager is interesting as that's also post Nemesis, and post Enterprise is weird because as far as I know, there's no solid canon in place other than what's briefly mentioned in Beyond and the Kelvin and the 2009 reboot.

8. Max Apogee

Right, home from work now :D

First up, here's the AICN article with the Fuller interview. What he actually said was:
    And it seems that a lot of people have taken that to mean that because the ship has a lower registration number than the Enterprise (NCC-1701) it'll be set pre Kirk. As an aside, the interview also mentions that there might be a link to Section 31 in the series ...

Honestly, I'd love to see a post DS9/Voyager show, Deep Space Nine, especially, left so many doors open for potential follow ups. That said, we've never seen the early days of the Federation. We saw the early days of Starfleet in Enterprise, but that was before the founding of the Federation, so there's definitely some potential for good story telling with that setting.

As to what universe it'll be set in. Fuller, in the Star Trek panel at SDCC, said explicitly that it'll be set in the prime universe. Io9 wrote a short report about the panel. I could be mistaken, so don't hold me to this, but I think there may be some rights issues that prevent them from setting it in the Kelvin timeline. Discovery is being produced by CBS (as far as I'm aware) while the films are being produced by Bad Robot, and JJ Abrams has nothing to do with the new TV show. The way I see it is similar to the DC properties, the DC films are separate to their TV shows, being produced by different production companies and sharing no continuity.
    With regards to the ship that Commodore Paris mentioned, the impression I got was that that was the Enterprise-A we saw at the end of the film (which I'm super excited to see more of in the next film (so long as it doesn't go the Star Trek 5 route *shudder*)).
    Certainly it would be logical to set the film series and the new TV series along side one another (even if they are set in different time periods), especially when it comes to enticing new viewers who may not have seen Star Trek on the TV before. But the entertainment industry is a complicated business, and a lot of the time these pesky rights issues (assuming that is the reason for it being set in the prime universe) get in the way of producers doing what might be best for the properties they're producing *cough*Fantastic 4*cough*

MCtoastie likes this.
  9. Cloudane

Me too... unfortunately until TV and film makers get over this (now decades long) fetish for prequels and remakes it's the sort of thing that doesn't seem very likely to happen :(

So far it's looking like "Enterprise done right", which has a lot of promise. Of course, we thought Enterprise had a lot of promise at the time too :p But I think that was mostly a case of Rick Berman and co running out of steam, along with it being a network-driven show where afaik the network was steering it quite a bit. Shows always seem to be at their best when the makers themselves are calling the shots (this can be argued for MLP as well, it tends to be at its lower points when it's more obvious Hasbro brand is sticking its oar in a bit deeper - the toy castle replacing the golden oak etc)

MCtoastie likes this.
  10. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain, why is he climbing a mountain?

I could have sworn she was referring to a tottaly different vessel, but I don't know if it was totally made clear.

To be honest, I quite liked Enterprise, and as such I am a pariah among Star Trek fans for saying Enterprise was my favourite series. It's one of the reaons why I liked Beyond so much (but that's as much as I'm going to say there). As a result, if they go for a post-Enterprise, pre-Kelvin era, I will be there to scrutinise it. Also, if they can't get Scott Bakula to appear as Admiral Archer, then I'll be dissapointed.

MCtoastie and Cloudane like this.
  11. Max Apogee

Just as long as there's no campfire singing, we should be all good, LOL! :D
    About the ship, though, it wasn't made very clear and like I said, that was just the impression I got from it. I could be wrong ...
    Star Trek has always had a tradition of having a character from the previous series cameo in the first episode of a new series - McCoy was in the first episode of TNG, Picard was in the first episode of DS9 and Quark was in the first episode of Voyager. Enterprise is a bit of an anomaly since it was set before all the other series, but they did manage to get James Cromwell's Zephram Cochran in the first episode, so I guess the tradition still stands ... sort of. I'd say there's a good chance that someone from Enterprise might show up.

12. MCtoastie

Me too TBH :D

13. Cloudane

I didn't dislike Enterprise, it had some good episodes. Didn't really like the Xindi arc though, and Archer was insufferably hot headed enough already :p Throw in the post-9/11 ANGRY EAGLE sort of stuff (it was just after, so they were cramming analogies in) and in some parts of it I outright disliked him..

14. MCtoastie

It's been "long time" :p.... (sorry) since I've seen it and really only remember the mirror universe episode and the one on that desert planet with ether the engineer or tactical officer and an alien :confused: but I remember watching quite a few, I don't know if I seen them all though. Anyways I didn't think it was too bad, I'll still give this one a shot even if the ship does look like a flying dorito :p

Cloudane likes this.
  15. Mare Serenitis

Mare Serenitis Night time is the right time.

The first couple of seasons were great. But after the temporal thing got introduced it just went to pieces, and was really hard to not either laugh or cringe.

I'd like to see Axanar picked up and properly funded. That would be nice.

16. Cloudane

Um, bump?

Good start so far I thought. Felt a lot more "Trek" to me than the movies, and sets the foundations well for the series. I detected a few subtle allegories to contemporary issues which is WAY better than slapping us in the face with them, in fact they were subtle enough that I'm not too sure they were intended that way.
    Burnham having been caught up in a terrorist attack that killed their* parents becomes sort of a racist of fear, reminding me a little of how some in the western countries have reacted to terrorism. And her "just fire at them, it's the only thing they understand" vs the captain's "no we don't fire first" reminds me of a lot of the arguments I've seen in reddit threads about North Korea, though this'll have been written before that escalated quite so much and was probably just more meant as generic racism.

*The character's name is Michael but is female of appearance/actress and I didn't catch a pronoun so not really sure here

Quite unusual in that it seems to be like a 2 episode prologue.

Fancy killing off Yeoh's character though! I immediately loved her as Captain and the chemistry she had with Burnham, and she was a very "Star Trek" choice for a captain in the present year. It's rather disappointing that such a great team (along with the ever cautious Saru) who felt immediately "Kirk Bones and Spock" without being actual clones of Kirk Bones and Spock, should get split up so soon. I hope the fact they didn't retrieve the Captain's body means we've not seen the last of her yet.

One thought I had was a similarity to how the war just before Babylon 5 started, but that was more of a tragic misunderstanding whilst with the Klingons the ball was already rolling and the killing of the warrior was just one of those "sparks to cause a war" - so perhaps more similar to how WW1 started.

Looking forward to seeing the actual Discovery soon!

Hopefully they can fix the camera angles, I don't need to feel like we're swooping around the ship like one of Odo's bird transformations all the time :p

And going to need to get some sunglasses for when the Blingons come on screen!

MCtoastie likes this.
  17. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Being the weirdo whose favourite series is Enterprise, I have to say that I'm generally confused as to which part of the timeline this is quite filling in. Sure, I know it's some time before the events of TOS, but I'm still confused as to a lot of the nature of the series.

I think there's going to be a lot of retconning reguarding both the Klingons, and also why they went to being hostile again after Enterprise. I doubt many people are going to bother with spoilers for a series that's probably about 10 years old, but in Enterprise, after a retrovirus which was used for genetic modification went out, the Klingons were infected with another retrovirus which, while removing their ridges and making them look more human (explaining the TOS appearance and making that canon), and actually making them more tame(?) at least in comparison to who they were, at the loss of their strong feelings of honour.

That said, I still think that there were some mistakes in Discovery's opening episodes, I won't go into detail, but in brief, the fact that the series seems out of place in the timeline is what concerns me.

I think it's hard to put it into words, mostly as I don't know what to say just yet. It doesn't even seem as if the epilogue is over, it's still going!

18. Steamworks

Steamworks Well-Known Pony

As far as when the series is, last I heard, it's set around 10 years before Kirk took over the Enterprise, and it's supposed to be set in the Prime universe, but I've heard some promo stuff mixed it all up into a "Who knows?" type deal.

19. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Why do the Klingons look like Orcs? Other than that it was OK, if not a little boring and slow paced in parts.

20. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Star Trek is instrinsically a talky programme. Indeed, I once heard it being described as a sci-fi drama. While that's maybe hyperbole, slow paced television is what Star Trek is always supposed to be. I remember that someone previously said that Star Wars was about ships shooting each other, things blowing up and action. Star Trek was about the decision process and delving into the thought process before a captain and their crew takes the decision to open fire, and afterwards the thoughts and feelings afterwards.

Essentially, Star Trek is a very human series by what it is, and while I get that inconsistant pace can make the programme seem a bit... off (I also think that the pacing wasn't consistant), the nature of Star Trek isn't like that in the films (especially the 2009 series of films). I get that Discovery might be trying a different approach, but seeing that many (now considered good Star Treks) like Deep Space Nine and Enterprise was so focussed on the crew members and their ability to deal with the events in their lives, was what drove interest.

We'll see, but I feel like Discovery has yet to proove it can do this, and I will give it the time to do so, but until then, I'm still lukewarm.