1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Star Trek Ponies

Discussion in 'Crafts and Cooking' started by Addy, 17 August 2014.

1. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Okay, so this is really really random. ^_^

I'm quite the Trekkie, and have a Starfleet uniform that I sometimes wear. Not to conventions or anything, just to the shops.

[​IMG]
    (If anyone asks, I just say that we don't have Frazzles and Cherry Tango in the 24th century)

To make the illusion complete, I have a toy Tricorder that was made circa 1994 that I carry around. It has a little glass slide in it to simulate the medical scan data readout. So while playing pretend and pointing it at my ponies, I thought I'd be a man of action and replace the transparency.

[​IMG]

I made it at 850dpi, so while it's beautifully detailed, it's soooooo tiny! However, if you have good eyes, it is perfectly legible. :p (I took a close-up shot with my camera, but it looked rubbish) It lights up, too, but just as the original slide did, it looks rather washed out and yellow because of the incandescent light bulb (even with a diffuser).

[​IMG]

I'm working on upgrading my toy Tricorder to make it actually work. First of all, I'll add an actual LCD screen, then wireless data storage, and whatever else I can fit into the case. In the meantime I'm quite happy with how this turned out!

That is all.

Silvermoon, Kim, Misuzu and 4 others like this.
  2. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Shouldn't the undershirt be gray?
    Anyway, I do like the slide (though I'm a bit confused as to how you got that into a thing from the 90s). And I do like how the LCARS was done well.
    All I can say is well done!

3. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

My good man, you really think I'd go to that much effort to make a uniform and not know what colour it's supposed to be!? :p Hehehe! The camera shows it to be a different shade of blue than it really is, although in truth it's very vibrant because it's freshly dyed. It'll be a little more muted after some washes.

Anyway - you said LCARS so you must know your onions. ;) It was pretty difficult to actually replace the slide - as I sat there with a screwdriver in my mouth and an exploded mess of screws and wires on the table, I felt like a proper techie trekkie. Anyone observing would've thought I knew what I was doing.

Thanks for the kind words, my friend. :)

4. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I once took apart a cheaply made Star Trek reboot type 2 phaser and, well, I had limited success. I will say one thing though, its film accurate in molding. If I had access to metallic paint, I would do it up.

5. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

That's the one with the rotating middle, right? :) I'm not that fond of the reboots, if I'm honest. I don't hate them or anything, I just prefer the pompous and moralising TV show, hehehe!

Metallic paint is tricky. Most of the stuff they sell is rubbish, or can't handle being touched. For something like a phaser, I'd say use Tamiya chrome silver. You can get it in a little pot for like £1.50 from most places, although I'm guessing maybe you don't have access to most places, or else you'd get it. :p

A lot of toys and things (like the phaser) are vacuum plated with vapourised aluminum, that's how they get so shiny. That's a proper industrial process, though. :(

6. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

It has the rotating middle in the films. Not in the thing I have...

The only metallic paint I would know might work is the stuff they use for table top gaming. It won't rub off with hands and what not.

Anyway, I'm am slightly more interested in making Star Trek props that are show/film accurate than I am in MLP merch (other than the odd blind bag, the mandatory Rarity brushie, and IDW comics).

7. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Indeed we are kindred spirits, Mr. Vaska. :D

I made a Mobile Emitter (the Doc's from Voyager) the other day - it came out rather fantastic if I do say so myself. An optical mouse paid the ultimate price so that I could have a circuitboard to go inside, hehe!

I make quite a few props and models and things. Almost all of my MLP stuff is made by me, the official toys are usually pretty dismal!

8. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Perhaps we are.
    I've noticed a lot of decent genuine licensed props. QMx do decent badges but also some very expensive reboot props...
    Anyway, I don't think I could make my own stuff, I don't really have the materials or the tools for it...

9. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

I wore a cheap knock-off badge for ages, then I eventually got a Qmx. So shiny, so heavy. :D I'm working on a way to have it make "the sound" when it's touched. Made of metal, it should conduct a current across the surface, so I can work with that.

As for materials and tools, it's the bane of my life. I have all these ideas, but stuff is so expensive I just can't afford to do as much as I want. But then, you'd be amazed what you can do with plywood, sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease! We learn by trying, so better to botch a project than to never try.

10. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

If I could sew, (which I used to be able to), then I'd probably order one of those patterns for an Enterprise jumpsuit. Get replica badges and find some place for pips and what not. But I'm not as resourceful as I'd like to be.

11. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

I found some metal buttons that were just the right size and shape to use as pips. My sewing skills are really poor (although I do have a sewing machine - it was broken and given to me for free, so I fixed it) - I had some help with the jacket, but everything else was modified and dyed clothes. Limitation is the father of innovation, as they say.

Go for it, Vaska. Post pics here if you do make one. :D I wish you luck, in costume making and licking your own nose.

12. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

Awesome work!!

I have that very same tricorder (it's in a cupboard in my kitchen at the moment with my First Contact phaser ;)I never got round to doing a Star Trek costume though) I used to have an awesome commbadge which attached magnetically to a soundboard to make the noise, but the paint rubbed off the badge then I lost the sound board :( I did get an email from Forbidden Planet a while back with details that something similar is being released later in the year. As for the pips, if you're feeling particularly rich, Anovos are selling captain and commander pips (with Lt.Cmdr up for pre-order)

13. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Thanks, Max!

Oooh, that badge from FP looks awesome! Too good to be true, almost. It's plastic, but I don't mind. The metal badges are so heavy, and I'm always afraid of mine falling off.

The pips look good, too! I just wear two, as I'm going for the Chief Medical Officer look. Specifically Bashir. :D Although I do have my emitter so I can cosplay as the EMH when I feel like it.

:p

14. Kino_Hamanka

Kino_Hamanka I am cuddly, cute and squishy...also chubby :3

You look like the Doctor in DSN (Christ) what was his name again...

15. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

You mean Julian Bashir? :D You reckon I look like him...? Or is it just the uniform? I'd take the former as a compliment, I suppose!

16. BRJ

BRJ The King benieth the Dome

I have a feeling @Dax would really like this thread. XD

Dax likes this.
  17. Kino_Hamanka

Kino_Hamanka I am cuddly, cute and squishy...also chubby :3

I reckon you do your holding that sort of pose the hair could be slightly darker and brushed the same way but close enough.

Addy likes this.
  18. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Posting this mostly as I think this is the best place to post it, and secondly this might be the best place to get some advice. (This might become a general Star Trek arts and crafts thread).

Anyway as I mentioned, I have a Type 2 phaser (2009 Reboot Series) by Rubie's. It looks rather off, but looks the part (just about). Moulding was quite decent, but on further inspection, it's not the best. Anyway looking at the genuine props used in the film, and competing licenced products by QMx and Playmates, I'd like to repaint the phaser to look more like the proper thing. Here's a link to some of the stuff that I'd like my phaser to look like: http://1drv.ms/1rNM1cs

Here's what I have: http://1drv.ms/1uNAX45

Any advice? I've talked to a friend of mine who plays Warhammer 40K and what he does for painting his things... And I know a guy who's painted a toy gun (leaving an orange tip as required) to look realistic enough to cosplay as a Battlefield soldier...

19. Addy

Addy The Last Crusader

Haha! I'm really quite flattered...!

Vaska, looks to me like your toy is cast in part in paint-repellent plastic. The orange bits. While not impossible to paint, it's troublesome.

Plastikote do a very good silver, but it'll rub off on your hands. Tamiya chrome silver is adequate, but nowhere near real chrome. You have to brush that one on. It dries quick, though!

For spraying, I'd take the phaser apart and stick the pieces on little stilts to a bit of board, or hang them from the washing line. Then you can get all around them with the spray, and put it back together. It's easier this way - if you try and paint it whole, parts will cast shadows and you'll end up with white or orange showing through.

20. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Would primer not solve the issue of the orange bits? From my friend, who's into 40K, they cover everything in primer before they do anything with colour paints. Also is sanding down the poor molding marks a viable option?