1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by WelshPony, 28 March 2015.

?

Your Favourite Gem?

1. Steven

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Garnet

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Amethyst

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. Pearl

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

The show's back on the screens today, but this was one of the leaked episodes from a couple of months ago. Still, nobody's talked about it and it is a new episode, so the spoiler's up just to be safe:

Sort of a chilled out episode, but one that makes me smile the entire time. It's nice to be back in the temple after so much time in the barn. Really makes me wonder how Peri and Lapis are getting along back there. I loved Steven's reaction to being back home too, especially with television. "We've got some catching up to do." How many of us have come back from holiday knowing there's some television shows we know we're behind on? Thanks to the internet and modern phones, I guess that feeling is kind of gone nowadays, but it doesn't get to Steven at all.

Looking back on it, isn't Steven's floating ability something that almost every kid wants? Admittedly, if this had happened when I was a kid, I'd be freaking out, but I liked that Steven remained calm, even after discovering he was kind of stuck in the air. The Gems spending time with him all night until he came down was really sweet, even if Garnet resorted to theft to keep in touch with him (poor Kofi, his phone bill can't be looking good after that... or his car, assuming those noises were accurate).

The entire time I first watched the episode, I was thinking, "it's his emotions, isn't it?," and I wasn't wrong. Good to know the writers anticipated this with, "Just like all my stupid powers." Potentially self-aware writing staff, but whatever, it works and it got a chuckle of me.

"By now, Steven will have figured out his power is tied to his emotions and will be floating down to the ground ready to give us a big hug."

THUMP!

"... Close enough."

Great episode, and a good return for our beloved space rocks.

2. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Well those were some nice, simple little episodes to kick off the event. It's really good to be back in Beach City again - the barn arc was great but we were needing to balance out the magic with the mundane.

Steven Floats was cute, not very much happened but we got an interesting new power and some wonderful character moments, especially from Garnet. Although the whole time I was wondering why they didn't just use Amethyst's whip to pull him down somehow. Loved the imagine spots, esp Sadie's little Hamlet moment. :D And "oh jeez, those feelings are complicated" - can we have another ep revolving around Rose soon? I've heard that Steven's going to have a song about her at some point, but I'm not sure if that came from an official source or if it's just a rumour.

Drop Beat Dad... I liked it, but I think maybe it was a bit of an ambitious topic to tackle in an 11-minute episode. They don't have time to go into all the issues and feelings surrounding parental abandonment and reunion, so Sour Cream ends up looking awfully passive and a bit naive. He surely knows his dad is a slimeball, but is just blindly accepting all this stuff and "help" from him without any question? Hrm. I guess the ending was nice though, and we got the next episode set up a bit.

I'dLikeToBeATree likes this.
  3. I'dLikeToBeATree

I'dLikeToBeATree Crystal Gem Pony

Steven's back, ALRIGHT~!! *^* I'd already seen Steven Floats from the leak, but I rewatched it with the latest episode and they were two cute little eps - it's nice to be back in Beach City! c:

I just got back from holiday so Steven's reaction to being home was very relatable - "hello TV, we've got some catching up to do!" indeed :p (although also in my case, "hello work" ;~; )

I think Amethyst had the best lines in this ep: "Wait, can Steven fly? Oh yeah, I think I remember that...Nope, I was thinking of Lapis!" And also:

Garnet: Rose could regulate the speed of her descent.
    Amethyst: Yeah, and she could control how fast she fell!
    Garnet: ...I just said that.

Steven's death-fantasy thing was also amusing and shows how well he knows everyone in Beach City - especially "Lars will embezzle one, and Onion will buy one...and take it for granted."

"It's tied to my emotions - just like ALL my stupid powers!!" - how very meta :p It's cool that Steven is still learning about his powers though, and like @Thorn said the Gems staying with him was really sweet although I was kind of wondering why they couldn't just grab him and pull him down, but maybe that wouldn't have work considering an entire boat didn't either XD

And then Drop Beat Dad was a blast from the past~ was it confirmed before that Marty was Sour Cream's dad, or just a popular/accepted theory? I can't remember but anyway, I think Marty is now officially the WORST SU character / only one I actually dislike.

D'aww, Steven being protective of Greg and offering to beat up Marty for him <3

"What is this, a concert for ANTS?" - okay, I LOLed XD best reference.

The relationship between Sour Cream and Yellowtail was really nice - loved SC yelling at Marty in Yellowtail's language(?), and then Yellowtail bringing back his old gear. It was really sweet and ties in well with one of SU's overall ~themes about family of all kinds, and it being not necessarily about biological family but who's there for you, even if you don't understand each other all the time. Or something like that, idk, I liked it anyway X3

Of COURSE Onion likes the Guacola abomination thing. Of course he would.

But dat ending doe!!! :OO next ep can't come soon enough! Luckily it's tonight(/tomorrow depending on when I get to watch it) :p I can't wait to see what happens next~

Thorn likes this.
  4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

I think it was at least strongly implied in "Onion Friend", when Ames and Vidalia are talking.

5. Thorn

Finally got to watch Drop Beat Dad (having no internet all day is SO FUN...)

I honestly never put two and two together that Marty and Sour Cream were related, but if the implications were there, I guess I just missed it. Also great to have a Sour Cream episode. Dude deserves it. Also, is this the first Gem-less episode? I mean, Steven was there of course, but the others were nowhere to be seen. Has this happened before? I legit can't remember.

"What is this, a concert for ants?" Never thought I'd hear a Zoolander reference on a Cartoon Network show. I can tell @I'dLikeToBeATree already has, but you guys ever seen Zoolander? It's great. But like she said, Marty is easily my least favourite character now, though that is technically what the script was going for. Also, good lord, you can see he hasn't aged well.

But Star Child finally gets to shine. Seriously, ten million dollars?! After how Marty treated him before, I look forward to seeing Greg splurge.

6. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Was thinking about this earlier - I really hope he doesn't. From what we've seen of Greg over the years, he doesn't seem the type to fritter away money on a binge when he could be using it to long-term positive effect - keeping It's A Wash going, finding himself somewhere to live that's not a 20-year-old van, supporting Steven, and so on. I get that the writers might not want to shake up the status quo too majorly, but having him just lose or waste that amount of money would be majorly out of character, and I'll kind of think less of the show if that happens.

Thorn likes this.
  7. Thorn

Thoughts on Musical Feels: The Episode:

I'm still not sure why they continue to call it Empire City and not just straight-up New York. I mean, they mention Brooklyn so... eh, I'm probably the only one bothered by that.

But I think this was a good time for Greg and Pearl to finally talk things out about Rose. There was always an awkward dynamic between them and Steven pointing out Rose's gem in this ep certainly didn't help. All the songs were on point but Pearl's solo was easily my favourite, even if it did hit a bit close to home with the whole, "Why can't I get over it?" line. I'm with you there, Pearl.

I'm sure at the end of this, there might be a bit of Greg/Pearl shipping, but I think it's established that they, at the very least, respect each other and have gotten over the past. This is was a really good episode and one that I'm sure I'll be rewatching quite a bit.

8. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

It's an alternate Earth, that's what it's called there. The Delmarva Peninsula is its own state, Pennsylvania is now Keystone, there's a giant hole in the middle of Russia, NY is Empire State, and NYC is Empire City.

9. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

Not sure what I think of the Greg and Pearl ships. I mean, really, think about it

10. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Any Pearl ships other than Pearl/Rose are a bit... weird, I think. Rose was Pearl's everything, nobody else can even come close.

11. Bexy164

Pearl and Amethyst makes a bit of sense though. They have basically flirted before

12. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Yeah, I kind of like Pearlmythest too, but like... not as a serious thing - I like the idea of them offering comfort and support to each other and something that could become a relationship, but I don't think either of them are quite in a place yet where that relationship can actualize. Again, there's the memory of Rose in the way (neither of them are over that, see "Maximum Capacity") plus Amethyst has all of her issues around being "defective". If we ever get a flashforward ep to when Steven is an adult (which I'd really like), it might be nice to see them together, but I don't see it happening in the show's present day.

13. Bexy164

Pearlmethyst is a ship I support, obviously, however then there is also Amedot which I also support but that kinda of conflicts with Pearlmethyst

14. I'dLikeToBeATree

Pearlmethyst is one of my favourite SU ships! <3 Though I agree that it'll be a long time before Pearl's ready to even consider a relationship with anyone else, but Gems are basically immortal, they've got time :p I just really like their dynamic, how they started off always fighting/opposites but they've come to understand/support each other more and have more in common than it seems. (I like Amedot too though - multishipping ftw XD)

Anyway - Mr Greg was amazing, but ouch, the feels ;~; (apologies in advance for the textwall, I just have a lot of feelings ^^;; )

Nice to hear the Like a Comet song again, even as a burger jingle :p I’m happy for Greg though, dude definitely deserves a break! I agree with @Cendaquenta that I’m glad they didn’t have him splurge/lose it all in some stupid way, it would definitely have felt OOC. And yay, Universe father/son duet <3 “And let’s bring Pearl!”…”Wait, what?”

Honestly, a Pearl & Greg bonding moment/episode is something I’ve wanted for a long time and I think they pulled it off so well, and even through such catchy songs! And Pearl can really rock a tuxedo~ but then that moment, when she’s just finally starting to relax and enjoy herself and then “NO!!” - so awkward and painful to watch >.< You can see she’s developed since the flashback eps, when she was actively hostile to Greg - she at least tries to tolerate him these days, for Steven’s sake, but right then it’s just too much (maybe because dancing reminds her of Rose?).

And then there’s that song - so beautiful, but so sad ;___; Deedee Magno Hall has such a gorgeous voice, and the visuals, Pearl looking up and seeing her and Rose in the sky…”It’s over, isn’t it, why can’t I move on?” ouch, my poor heart </3 When you think about it, Pearl was with Rose for thousands of years, and she’s been gone 14 - that’s literally no time at all to her, and she’s been through so much, trying to figure out her place in the world without Rose while dealing with the whole Steven situation. And she has moved on in lots of ways - she’s come so far since the start of the show and proved how strong (in the real way) she is, even if she can’t see it, for Steven and the other Gems and everyone, but naturally, being alone with Greg and Steven just brings it all back.

I also really, really loved when Pearl was like “I shouldn’t have come” and Steven says “no, this is exactly why I wanted you to come” - and you realise then how perceptive he is, at first he seems all naive and oblivious to the tension between Pearl and Greg, but he’s not at all - he just wants them to work it out, because as the song says, they both love him and he loves both of them! (Which also makes me wonder how Rose felt about it all - like, it’s hard to believe she didn’t know, but did she ever talk about it to Greg and/or Pearl? Somehow, I feel like she didn’t)

But yeah anyway - it’s such a great and bittersweet moment when they finally do talk about Rose, and Greg’s like “I would’ve hated me too” and Pearl says “I didn’t hate you…” - which sorta seems like a lie, definitely at first at least XD but the thing is, it was never about Greg as a person, just the fact that he “won” and, from Pearl’s POV, took Rose away from her (for good, even) - but I also feel like as they’ve had to spend more time together for Steven’s sake, she’s come to realise that Greg is a good person, he loves Steven and he loved Rose just like she did - and it wasn’t his fault that Rose fell in love with him, there wasn’t anything either of them could do about it. I also liked Greg saying “I knew how you felt about her” (well, she wasn’t exactly subtle :p) and implying that he doesn’t blame Pearl either, even though she was pretty horrible to him - he understands it was difficult for her and he also wants them to be friends. And it just made me so happy to see them dancing, and then talking in the van - as Steven says, they DO have a lot in common, and I hope maybe it helps both of them to feel a little less lonely <3

The reprise of the song at the beginning was adorable and a perfect ending - once again, I’m amazed how well this show conveys such complicated characters and relationships in the space of 10 minutes, AND through a musical episode! Hands down my favourite of S3 so far c:

Bexy164 and Thorn like this.
  15. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

There seems to be debate in the fandom as to whether that was just a visual metaphor or Pearl being able to actually make pictures in the clouds with her powers. If the latter, I'm imagining every single citizen of Empire State looking up and being very confused. XD

I'dLikeToBeATree, Bexy164 and Thorn like this.
  16. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

"Just a few things, like 'Hi, how are ya?', 'Where's the bathroom?' and... 'I'm sorry'."

;_;

Centipeedle is seriously the most tragic character on this show. I'm sad we didn't at least get to find out what her real name was.
    Also um, THE DIAMONDS NUKED EARTH. Guessing that explains the big ol' hole in Russia.

I'dLikeToBeATree, Bexy164 and Thorn like this.
  17. Thorn

Season 3 so far has had a lot of filler, I've noticed. Not that they've been bad episodes, mind.

18. I'dLikeToBeATree

So many episodes to catch up on! Not really a bad problem to have tbh XD (I'm only gonna spoiler the most recent eps, hope that's okay with everyone~)

Too Short to Ride was great - go shorty squad!! Some interesting Homeworld snippets too - Peridot can't shapeshift, which previously we thought was something all Gems could do (Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl and presumably Rose all can/could despite their having very different roles originally), but she has telekinesis (or something like it)! :O
    I liked Amethyst's pep talk about your friends liking who you are, not what you could be - kinda got the feeling she was speaking from experience there. And Peri/alien plush OTP - "I MUST HAVE IT!!" is a feeling I know all too well :p

The New Lars was fun although I really wish we'd gotten to see Lars in Steven's body too - how hilarious would that have been? Also I kinda felt bad for Lars that everyone seemed to prefer Steven!Lars to his actual self (except Sadie <3).

And yaaay for more Stevonnie in Beach City Drift! ^_^ it was funny to see Steven so mad at someone, as others have pointed out he's willing to befriend Lapis and Peridot, who both tried to kill him, but he REALLY hates Kevin - which is understandable bc he is a major jerk :p I liked the ending, with Stevonnie not winning the race but not letting it get to them any more.

Restaurant Wars and Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service were decent filler - nice to see more of the Pizza twins (for some reason, I always thought Kiki was older than Jenny) and all the pizza dream stuff was pretty trippy, but it's interesting how they're building up Steven's dream powers. He's basically Luna now, solving everyone's problems through their dreams XD

Now for that Monster Reunion...

Did Steven's healing powers always work on inanimate objects like the bear? I thought before they only worked on living things (Greg's leg, Lapis' gem), but it's been a while.

Garnet's explanation of how corruption is mental, not physical damage and why Steven can't heal them was interesting/sad - really makes you wonder about all the monsters the Gems fought before and what they must have gone through.

Centipeetle remembering Steven through the Chaaaps jingle! And telling her story through the crayon drawings, the contrast between the cute/simple art style and the tragedy of Centi's story (the Diamonds nuked Earth!!) really drove it home. And when she started freaking out and crying, and reverting back to her monster form the more she remembered ;~~; I'm glad she at least got to be with her crew again (and they waited for her!) and I hope we see more of her, and learn her real name/form someday. Definitely one of the show's darker episodes, but it was all really well done and I have a feeling they're setting up for something big~

Bexy164 and Thorn like this.
  19. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

I tihnk it is, or rather, is supposed to be, but Peridot wasn't made properly.

Alone at Sea was... interesting. Ain't no allegories to real-life abusive relationships on this show, no sir! I wish Jasper could spend more than three minutes onscreen before being given the "Team Rocket's blasting off again" treatment. Also never really explained how she ended up in the sea again after falling into the bowels of the earth, but okaayyy.
    I admit, I... kind of want to see Malachite again. I hope Jasper gets some kind of redemption arc - although I don't really see how you can redeem what she did - and eventually they fuse healthily.

Greg the Babysitter was nice, but a little underwhelming. And it really doesn't seem like Rose was much of a girlfriend - sure, she's a beautiful magic space lady, but she doesn't even seem to care that her boyfriend is eating from bins? I sometimes wonder why Rose picked Greg for her "true love", but now I'm wondering why he stayed with her.

20. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

What site do you use to watch SU? I used to watch all my cartoons on Kiss anime & Kiss cartoon which used to be really good but now they've put all these harmful pop ups on the site and set it up so you can't watch anything on their site unless you disable adblock for that page!