1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by WelshPony, 28 March 2015.

?

Your Favourite Gem?

1. Steven

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Garnet

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Amethyst

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. Pearl

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

I don't think we're supposed to talk about it on here. But look up a fan site called Beach City Bugle for some info.

SRainboom likes this.
  2. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Thanks I forgot about BCB! Now I can catch up on the last 3 or 4 episodes I've missed :)

I'dLikeToBeATree and Bexy164 like this.
  3. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Man, this week's episodes have hit pretty hard. I'll try my best to summarise:

Alright, Gem Hunting. I like getting to see Connie finally go on a mission and I'd say she handled herself pretty well, despite freezing up mid-fight. Also liked the little callback to Do It For Him over the radio.

Crack The Whip was an okay episode. Not really much to talk about since the majority was just Steven, Connie, Amethyst and Lion goofing off. That said, the fight with Jasper was great and I quite like Amethyst's new form. And I admit, when she said "You didn't need me at all"... I petted my Amethyst POP Vinyl... It just got to me a little okay, GOSH! ;_;

Steven vs. Amethyst - already a better versus movie than Batman vs. Superman. I totally resonated with Amethyst, though. I've often felt very inferior to others (still do to this day), though admittedly I've also done the thing Steven did with going easy on her in a fighting game (I mean, @I'dLikeToBeATree knows I don't go down in Smash Bros. without a fight, but you get where I'm coming from). Their actual fight made little sense, but they clearly knew that. Also, Pearl Points need to be a thing in other situations.

All great episodes. I've said before that Season 3 has had a lot of filler, but this week has made up for it. Now for the big one:

Now I had never heard of the real-life Bismuth before, so a little research was in order. From Wikipedia:

"Bismuth is a chemical element with the symbol Bi and the atomic number 83. Bismuth, a pentavalentpost-transition metal and one of the pnictogens, chemically resembles its lighter homologs arsenic and antimony. Elemental bismuth may occur naturally, although its sulfide and oxide form important commercial ores. The free element is 86% as dense as lead. It is a brittle metal with a silvery white color when freshly produced, but is often seen in air with a pink tinge owing to surface oxidation. Bismuth is the most naturally diamagnetic element, and has one of the lowest values of thermal conductivity among metals."

See, this show encourages research. An instant recommendation for budding geologists.

To be honest, the only thing I didn't like in this double-episode was Steven's discovery of Bismuth. With the full plot's context, it makes sense that her gem would be in Lion's mane, but considering how much of his stuff is kept there, not to mention her bubbled gem was in plain sight, you'd think he'd notice it sooner. Still, the jump the gun a little, I really liked Bismuth. She was a different kind of soldier in Rose's army: one that was willing to do whatever was necessary for victory. It provided a different take on the Crystal Gems and hopefully we'll know more about the unique soldiers she mentioned (I want to know Snowflake's origin story).

When they got to the weapons factory and Bismuth provided upgrades to their weapons, I started to realise where the episode was going. But I was enjoying the ride regardless. The little talk Steven and Bismuth were having before she offered the upgrade to Rose's sword was a little touching, particularly Steven's mentioning of how he doesn't feel like he's living up to Rose's supposed greatness. Even if it had a different meaning to how Steven interpreted it, you could tell Bismuth was speaking from the heart about being better than her.

The final confrontation over The Breaking Point sealed this episode's quality. A big part of that was over the reveal of how Rose never told the other gems of Bismuth's disappearance. But while Bismuth had murderous intentions for the Homeworld Gems, she wasn't entirely without reasons. Her fellow soldiers... her friends were all destroyed by their enemies and she wanted to return that favour. Steven was ultimately right of course, but Bismuth had understandable motives too.

As the final blow hit, after Steven promised to tell the Gems about Bismuth's fate with Bismuth simply replying with, "You're already better than her," that got me in the end. Rose was held under high regard from the Gems, but even she wasn't perfect. We already knew from Rose's Scabbard that even she kept secrets from everybody, but this was a big story in just a few minutes. She most likely kept quiet for the protection of everyone else rather than to keep her reputation, but she was in the wrong for not saying anything and it very much shows how Steven is learning that being the same as his mother might not be an entirely good thing. This was a really really good double episode through and through.

Heh, kinda went on for a little while there, didn't I? Am I an official analyst yet. :p

I'dLikeToBeATree and Bexy164 like this.
  4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

RIP the fourth wall
    Gem Glow - Know Your Fusion
    Bulldozed by the lovely Sardonyx

I'dLikeToBeATree, Bexy164 and Thorn like this.
  5. I'dLikeToBeATree

I'dLikeToBeATree Crystal Gem Pony

So I finally binged on the latest eps (Beta, Earthlings, Back to the Moon, Bubbled, The Kindergarten Kid and Know Your Fusion) and WOW that’s a whole lot of new information/feelings to process :O but I'll do my best to summarise~

First things first: how adorable are Lapis and Peridot and their ~art - sorry, bleepblops (or whatever they called them)? It’s so cute to see them getting along, Peri being all enthusiastic and Lapis actually smiling/laughing again (that little snort when she laughs <33) c’: (Also, Peri getting Lapis into Camp Pining Hearts sorta reminds me of when I first got @Thorn hooked on SU >:3)

And you know something’s really wrong with Amethyst when she doesn’t want to play with trash D: her arc this season has really hit hard, from her initial jealousy/insecurity of Steven becoming a better fighter than her to her obsession with fighting Jasper. Even though she’s never been to Homeworld, it’s obviously been really tough on her being confronted with Jasper and realising that’s what she was made to be - and then, especially after being outshone by Stevonnie in the first battle, she feels like she has to prove that she can beat Jasper to “earn” her place in the Crystal Gems. Because, for the first time, she’s actually doubting what Rose told her (and the others) - that she can be anything she wants to be, more than what she was made for.

Speaking of Jasper…it’s weird in a way, because we didn’t see her for ages and I got used to seeing fanart etc of redeemed!Jasper, but now she’s finally getting some screentime/development and she is definitely Not A Nice Gem. I felt so bad for all the corrupted gem beasts she had trapped there D: it was pretty disturbing when she fused with the gem beast and the corruption started to take over. And of course: “My Diamond! Your Diamond! PINK DIAMOND!!!” - legit chills.

It’s interesting now we know that Jasper was made on Earth too, because she’s the only Gem we know who actually is “perfect” by Homeworld’s standards - she’s everything she was made to be, and all she wants is to fulfil that purpose - so you can understand her motivations and frustration at being stuck on Earth again, after presumably working hard to get out and earn her place on Homeworld (and her subsequent messed up relationship with fusion, still taking Homeworld’s stance on it but then begging Lapis to form Malachite again because of how powerful it makes them, and now resorting to fusing with corrupted gems to win no matter the cost). And then there’s the whole Pink Diamond thing…I really hope we get to see her in flashbacks at some point!

But then Steven and Amethyst: “Who you are isn’t about where you came from, it’s about who you want to be, what you care about…” And their whole kidding-but-not-really “worst gems stick together” thing is so (bitter)sweet - and THEN a wild fusion appears!! :O (I really wish I hadn’t been spoiled for that because it would have been so epic, but I guess that’s what you get for not avoiding social media :p) I love Smoky Quartz, their personality, design and weapon and everything is just perfect (more on them later~)

And finally Jasper and Peridot got to confront each other!! I loved when Jasper was all “they stripped you of everything, your limb enhancers, your dignity...” and Peri’s just like “I still have ONE of those” :p it really shows how far she’s come, when she’s talking about how she’s learned so much about herself from being on Earth (the opposite of what Homeworld wants), and then finally pulls off the metalbending(? is it just metal she can control? I can’t really remember but anyway it was a great moment) just at the crucial moment.

And then after all that: the Rubies are back!! And they found Jasper - sort of :p Amethyst turning into Jasper definitely seems symbolic of…something after recent eps, but it was nice to see her taking charge of a mission (even if slightly recklessly), and the Rubies fangirling over her was cute and funny (“so noble! c’:”). Also I loved Pearl’s overacting when they were “captured”: “I’LL NEVER TALK!!” - she reminded me of Rarity a little there XD

Oh yeah and also the small matter of ROSE SHATTERED PINK DIAMOND?? :O Steven’s reaction was heartbreaking - tbh I didn’t fully believe it either until the Gems confirmed it (I can’t think why they’d lie unless she did something even worse, which it’s hard to imagine?), but just…wow. I wonder if we’ll ever get to see it in a flashback? I really hope so - if not the actual shattering, then just anything of Pink Diamond. Were Jasper and Rose ever comrades?? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

So yeah…after all that drama it’s kind of nice that the most recent eps (the first of Season 4? Is it me or are the season lengths really weird - S1 had like 52 eps!) have been a bit lighter. Kindergarten Kid was mostly slapstick fun, but it was cute to see Peri’s first mission and her finally poofing/bubbling the Roadrunner corrupted gem.

Know Your Fusion was also cool - the chat show format with Sardonyx was pretty fun (so many fourth wall jokes: “she’s not in this episode, do we still have to pay her?” XD) and it was nice to actually explore the fusions as characters in themselves, which there hasn’t been a lot of before (except maybe Stevonnie) - mainly Smoky Quartz. You can really see how both Steven’s and Amethyst’s insecurities and uncertainty about who they are affects them, and how they try and deflect it with humour (and awesome yo-yo tricks) - it’s a familiar coping mechanism for a lot of people, I’m sure. But they are adorable and I definitely hope we get to see more of them, and see them grow as Steven and Amethyst figure themselves out <3

Bexy164, Thorn and Cendaquenta like this.
  6. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Meep morps. :D I did love artist!Lapis - "Is this about the thousand years you spent trapped in a mirror?" "No, I just like that show."
    Yeah, she's been going crazy over on her Twitter about "I can move metal with my mind!!!" (Also yes, there's an official Peridot Twitter account now, it's wonderful.)
    I think Season 1 was a double-length season to launch the show - the subsequent seasons then went back to the more standard 25/26 eps.

And yeah, Smoky is just so wonderful and adorable and... kinda sad actually, they need a really big hug...
    I can't wait to see Steven fuse with the other gems too - I'm sure he will at some point, might take a while though. I wonder if Steven + Pearl will still make Rainbow Quartz and if so, what the new version of RQ will be like. Actually, what I really want to see is a flashback episode featuring Amethyst and Rose's version of Smoky - I've seen a few fans theorizing that the two never fused since it took Smoky a while to come up with their name, but IDK, Rose and Amethyst knew each other for millennia, they must've at some point.
    ALSO GARNET'S REACTION TO SMOKY. "aaaaaaaa" for a good 30 seconds. I love Mom Squared.

I did think it was a bit odd that Sardonyx tried to discover more about Smoky via comparing them to other fusions, though. I mean Sard is part-Garnet so surely, surely she'd understand that each fusion is so unique as to make comparison pointless? And testing whether Smoky has flame breath? Of course they won't, since Alexandrite's flame probably comes from Ruby.
    And since the reveal that all the fusions have their own rooms too, I want to see everybody else's! Plus Ruby and Sapphire's rooms.

Oh, and, one of my new favourite moments in the show is probably at the end of Kindergarten Kid when Peridot bubbles Gem-Sonic and sends it off, and you see it appear at the barn. First off the fact that Peri now considers that home is the cutest of things *hugs the Dorito*, and Lapis' reaction of pure "meh" was just gold.
    Another thing about Kindergarten Kid - ethical dilemmas! Amethyst questioning whether bubbling gems isn't just as much trapping them as what Jasper was doing. I love it when this show examines its own morality and it's been doing so much of that lately, and likely will be doing a lot more in the wake of the Pink Diamond revelations.

Mentioning Jasper - I'm so sad but conflicted about what happened to her. Yes, she's a terrible person, but there's a lot of tragedy to her character as well which we literally only got to see for five minutes preceding her "death", for goodness' sake, and as a villain, she's enjoyable to an extent just due to her "punching things is always the answer!" attitude being funny. ... I admit, one of the main reasons I wanted to see her get some kind of redemption was to see her in a fight just putting the heid on everything with that helmet. XD
    I want to see more of the other corrupted Jaspers too, just to make sure they're doing alright. They were kinda cute...

Thorn and I'dLikeToBeATree like this.
  7. Recurrent Trotting

haven't fully caught up with SU yet but an ex-brony mentioned it to me and got me thinking

have been bingeing it in my free time and it is so fun :D favourably compares with pony in terms of animation and inventiveness. very whimsical and silly :p

favourite combination so far: Garnet + Amethyst :p having to shield steven's eyes was hilarious

favourite monster-thing: the result of G+A's combination :p was a great message about Pearl I thought

least favourite thing: still Steven. he was the thing that put me off in the first place. he's nowhere near Snips & Snails levels of bad but still... he's Spike-ish. makes for a decent foil for the others though I suppose

biggest improvement on pony: the intro song :p

main way pony is better: watching traditionally animated cartoons really brings home how big the pony world feels. the world feels unreal and uninhabited by comparison (something the ep when he disappears into his own room and the town is recreated D: ). also ponies.

edit seen up to ep 50 now and show is just so good! best combo is Garnet I guess D: sapphire and ruby are cute though :3 also Steven is less grating now

#267 Recurrent Trotting, 18 August 2016
    Last edited: 20 August 2016
    Cloudane likes this.
  8. Recurrent Trotting

oooh kay, I'm past the "this is fun" stage to full on obsessing about this show :D anypony/gem know any good SU fan forums?

ok have found equestria daily beach city bugle, but no fan forum

ok I can't understand reddits but this wiki forum thing seems okish. will dabble hoof :3

#268 Recurrent Trotting, 24 August 2016
    Last edited: 24 August 2016
    Thorn likes this.
  9. Thorn

Good to have you on board. :)

The show seems to have gone back to a weekly basis with a new episode up tomorrow. And judging on what I've read about it, it sounds like it'll be a good episode.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  10. Babbage

Babbage Square + Circle Is Life

Ooooh you guys made a thread for this, neat! Stevens is great, Peridizzle is where it's at. Enjoyed today's episode, shan't say more for now!

Thorn likes this.
  11. Recurrent Trotting

heh already wading into discussion about Lion on the wiki :D wish the eps were longer than 10 mins though

12. Thorn

How nice of you to join us. Agreed, today's episode was very enjoyable.

13. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

That was a nice episode.
    Those poor kids... Steven has really been subjected to a lot of trauma lately, I hope the series will chill out for a bit and allow him to deal with it. Connie, too - she broke a kid's arm, what the actual--? (I'm surprised the kid was so okay with it that it got resolved after one little talk, too - I feel that's a little unrealistic.) Steven's flashback while fused also brought home how much he's been through that he seemingly hasn't shared with Connie, which can't be a good thing.
    The song was very sweet - nice and relaxing and therapeutic.
    And Garnet's little sign! That was adorable!
    But uh, yeah... Steven, Connie, you two really need to deal with some things. *many, many hugs*

14. Recurrent Trotting

I am so bewitched by this cover

what can I do for you :3

15. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

After so long, I'm finally up to date with this show again. It's been quite a ride... the thing that really intrigues me, though, isn't from any of the obviously "big and weighty" episodes at all...

It's from "Buddy's Book", and my line of thought can be summarised as a circular process, like so:

Rose Quartz -> lions -> Lion -> is pink -> Pink Diamond -> Rose Quartz

Recurrent Trotting and Thorn like this.
  16. Recurrent Trotting

yeah those lions are so a Lion

my theory is

Rose --> lions --> Greg --> Groselion + Steven

mainly because Pearl didn't know about Lion

and Rose-Greg hybrid is craziness which could cause anything to happen.

and Lion is there for Steven

found a great SU tumblr Mimic Teixeira
    (warning comic is last week ep spoiler)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#276 Recurrent Trotting, 27 August 2016
    Last edited: 31 August 2016
    I'dLikeToBeATree and Loganberry like this.
  17. Java

Java Coffee pony. Former UKofE Admin.

I want to marry Peridot. Please?

Don't let Babbage find out as I am meant to be marrying him instead.

[​IMG]

Recurrent Trotting and Bexy164 like this.
  18. Recurrent Trotting

time for a cute Pearl pic :D [​IMG]

19. I'dLikeToBeATree

I'dLikeToBeATree Crystal Gem Pony

Nice to see some more gems on board!! ^_^ *waves to everyone* I've been neglecting this thread (and this site in general tbh >.>;; ) a little, but I need to talk about latest ep (Last One out of Beach City) because !!!!!!

Rebel Pearl with her jeans and leather jacket was just amazing - and she drank!! (I mean, apple juice, but Pearl willingly consuming human food is not something I expected to see anytime soon) And she was so awkward and adorable trying to talk to the ~mystery girl~ - been there, dude, I know your pain

Steven being the voice of reason/straight man for a change was pretty funny to see, and he had some great lines - my fave was probably "I haven't been this scared since that time you nearly killed me!" Aw geez, Rick Pearl - that kid's been through a lot :p Wingman!Amethyst was also great.

And of course: "she looked like Mom, I can't be the only one who saw it!" - way to make things (even more) awkwaaaard, Steven :p But this is what I really love about this episode, as well as it just being really fun - Pearl really is moving on. Like, of course it makes sense that mystery girl looking like Rose would have caught her eye - I don't think she would have ever even considered looking at any human lustfully romantically before, and before I watched this ep even I was a tad sceptical about Pearl with a human love interest, but the way it was done totally made sense to me - but when she says "I'm done with the past", she really means it - she's trying new things and embracing life on Earth (even though y'know, traffic lights are there for a reason, P) and it's a lovely continuation of her arc, from acknowledging her feelings about Rose and making peace with Greg. When she goes up to talk to mystery girl and Amethyst's like "I already think you're cool, you don't have to do this" ("Practice on a nerd!" A+ dating advice there) - but she's not doing it to prove anything to Amethyst or Steven or anyone else, she's doing it for herself, because she wants and needs to move on from being so caught up in the past and Rose all the time. It just makes me really happy and I'm proud of her and I hope she gets to be happy <33

And she got her number!!! Yaaaassss girl, Pearl got game~ x3 (sorry I'll stop now) I really really hope we see mystery girl again (and hopefully she gets a name and an actual personality), but I have a feeling we will c:

20. Recurrent Trotting

heh latest ep
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]