1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by WelshPony, 28 March 2015.

?

Your Favourite Gem?

1. Steven

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Garnet

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Amethyst

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. Pearl

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Just a heads-up everyone, the Steven Bomb episodes from January 30th have all been leaked. I won't protest against any of you watching them (Heck, I'm watching them just so I don't have to actively avoid spoilers) but you know the drill, please keep discussion about them using spoiler tags. Otherwise, if you plan to watch them when they're officially released, be careful where you tread.

2. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member. They/them

Oh man, I watched them and oh my gosh. I'll write something noteworthy up another time. But just, they were great

Recurrent Trotting and Thorn like this.
  3. Thorn

Same, I've just finished watching them myself. I won't talk about them until another time and probably would have preferred an actual release over a leak, but I don't regret watching it. May just watch them all again very soon.

Bexy164 likes this.
  4. Recurrent Trotting

heh I didn't realise the eps were leaked. I'd lost track of SU and just thought they must have ocme out over Christmas or something :p
    I think That will be All might be one of my favourite eps ever, including pony eps D:

that soooooong

gah I want to say moer about this ep but don't know how :p

5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Up to date with the new episodes! A few thoughts on each one...

"Steven's Dream" -- Wham! That was one hay of a way to come back from a hiatus. I'm probably going to have to re-watch it, as I'm sure I missed something with the amount of new stuff being thrown at us. The sillier Korea bits were nice light relief, at least.

"Adventures in Light Distortion" -- another wham! moment (for me, anyway) when the first Ruby smacked into the ship windscreen, as well (of course) as the Human Zoo references. I did think the distorted flight sequence went on too long for an 11-minute cartoon, though.

"Gem Heist" -- great to finally see some more Amethysts! Okay, I know that's not the core of this episode, but it's taken so long. And ooh, Yellow Diamond! Right now, she doesn't scare me as much as Jasper, but I imagine that will change... I also suspect feeling sorry for Blue Diamond may well be a bad idea, though that's just a hunch.

"The Zoo" -- possibly sacrilege to say so in this of all threads, but I think "The Cutie Map" did the whole "creepy utopia" thing better. Different, but better. It didn't help that Little Voice sounded remarkably like pre-reformation Starlight Glimmer! Plus the whole "choosening" concept has been in about eight billion SF/fantasy stories already. I can only hope there's more to it than we saw.

"That Will Be All" -- I liked this one more, though. Still not as high on the wham! scale as the first two in the bomb, but it was nice to get a happy ending (for now). A bit disappointed by the Diamonds' song, though: it was nowhere near the best SU's done.

I'dLikeToBeATree and Thorn like this.
  6. I'dLikeToBeATree

I'dLikeToBeATree Crystal Gem Pony

I tried not to watch the leaked bomb and lasted...a day XD but oh my stars!! *^*

I've probably missed something / can't remember everything that happened as I've only seen these eps once, but Steven's Dream was an epic way to kick things off. IDK if this is a popular opinion, but one of my only criticisms of SU lately is that Steven almost seems to have gotten too...perfect, at times? like, he always understands and solves everyone else's problems, so I liked seeing him actually getting angry (understandably, though it was also understandable why the gems kept things from him) and taking things into his own hands, however bad an idea that might be. There was that little moment with Garnet telling Steven (obviously paraphrased lol) "don't do the thing" and Steven being like "you can't stop me" and she just says "I know". ;.;

Also Greg had one of my favourite lines possibly ever in this show: "We both had our flaws. I thought disco was coming back, she started a war." - can't remember the exact quote, but classic. And then a wild Blue Diamond appeared!!! :O I loved her and Greg briefly bonding over the loss of their loved ones, before she went all King Kong on him. Greg DeMayo Universe - official gem magnet XD and omg, her Blue Pearl is SO CUTE. she almost kinda reminds me of Fluttershy, I think it's her voice and the hair in her eyes lol, but I've wanted more Pearls since we first saw them in The Answer/Message Received, and yes <33

Adventures In Light Distortion was interesting, though I agree that the shapeshifting shenanigans seemed a little drawn out. Steven crying for his dad, though, omg ;___; (this is probably weird lol but I like how SU makes its characters properly ugly-cry, with snot and all - it might not be very pretty but it feels much more realistic and relatable, imo)

And then Gem Heist, there was so much to love. Holly Blue Agate is a great villain addition (and tbh this show needs those, since all the original Homeworld Gems are either reformed or bubbled now lol), and of course the Famethyst!! Great to finally see some Homeworld Amethysts, but even greater to finally see our Amethyst fitting in and feeling like she belongs c':

The whole human zoo thing - I love a good creepy utopia, but yeah, it did feel a bit like they could have gone creepier with the concept - guess you've got to keep it kid-friendly though! and I agree with @Loganberry that The Cutie Map did it better :p but I did love Greg causing an uprising by friendzoning everyone, and the Amethysts awkwardly trying to comfort the humans was great. I'LL NEVER CHOOSEN AGAIN ;^;

That Will Be All was amazing - tbh, when I first saw the leaks of Blue Diamond crying I was a bit worried they were going to reform her too - again, I'm cool with reformed villains, but not ALL the villains! MLP def has this problem too :p - but it was way more complex than that. I always pictured the Diamonds as super ~logical~ and unfeeling, but it's fascinating to know they actually care(d) about each other, and I really enjoyed the song - it really felt different to the other SU songs in a good way, it had more of an...alien-like feel to it? with the Pearls' nasally voices (I also love Yellow Pearl and her faces and ~dramatic poses, and YP/BP dancing!!) which suited the Diamonds really well.

(on a selfish note, I wrote a fanfic about Blue Pearl & Blue Diamond last year, after they first appeared in The Answer, so I was a little worried these eps would completely ruin it, but it actually didn't except for making BD a little more sympathetic than I wrote her, but I think that's understandable :p anyway, you can still have villains with sympathetic/understandable motives and backstories who still do terrible things, and that's how I see/where I hope they're going with the Diamonds.)

Our Pearl is still best Pearl though, and her taunting Holly Blue about being outsmarted by a fusion, an overcooked Amethyst and a Pearl was just perfect - she was loving that after being so frustrated having to act like a "normal" Pearl to keep up the facade. "That will be all" indeed~ just needed a mic drop :p

7. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Not strictly about the show, but it is SU-related. A little something that made me smile today. I'll have to spoiler-cut it as it's relevant to the recent episodes...

There's a vaping shop in Worcester named "Blue Diamond". :p

I'dLikeToBeATree and Thorn like this.
  8. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Seems that Funko Pops of Connie, Peridot and Lapis might be coming out. :D

Bexy164 and Thorn like this.
  9. Bexy164

*SCreams* I need it

10. Thorn

Source please? I must know.

Bexy164 likes this.
  11. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

A toy show in the US. I heard about it via a Youtube video: link. It's talked about around the 20-minute mark.

12. Thorn

Ooooh. I still need to get Garnet and Pearl for my own collection, but I'll need the other three if they happen.

13. Bexy164

I still don't own any of the fullsize SU Funko Pops, but I do own a little keyring Steven. I keep meaning to buy at least Garnet

14. Thorn

Brace yourselves. Five new SU Pops:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lapis is easily my favourite of these.

Bexy164 likes this.
  15. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Oh, Connie's in her fighting outfit? Hm. I much prefer her default one, but okay.
    Lion with the white eyes looks a bit... blind. Not much of a fan.
    Rose's nose is a bit odd, it's much more... stick-outy than in the show.

Peri and Lapis look absolutely lovely though. I hope they do a Peridot variant with limb enhancers too.

Now we just need Jasper, Ruby and Sapphire to fill out the core cast of Gems. I hope Rubes and Saph are released as a two-pack. ^_^

As for the show itself - I've actually stopped watching involuntarily. I want to see the new eps but I have really bad anxiety about getting a virus from watching it. :(

Thorn likes this.
  16. Thorn

Very brief late-night thoughts on the newest episode:

This was a fun one, though I think it could have used more scenarios than just washing cars. Guess you can't expect too much from an eleven-minute filler episode, but still.

The real highlight though was just seeing everyone acting like the Gems (we all agree Pumpkin made a convincing Bird Mom? Excellent). Realising that they just need to be themselves rather than copy everyone else is as basic of a lesson as it gets, but I think all four of them played off each other nicely. Is it weird that I kind of want to see them team up again in the future?

Goooooooo Crystal Temps!
    [​IMG]

Bexy164 likes this.
  17. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Caught up! I can finally join the thread instead of using my status!

Omgomgomgfhdhdfhf What. A. Brilliant. Show.
    Wish I'd got into it earlier!

One minute it's being silly and funny, the next minute it's tugging your heart with deep and meaningful examinations of the human (and gem) condition

Then it goes all frickin' Orwell in Space
    And the way Steven is when he saves his dad :,,,,,3 so adorable <3
    Brilliant episode last week with the others imitating the 'main' gems, they have Steven right with the emotional and inspirational speeches "but you didn't even cry" xP

Then he finally meets his mom! Kind of. I get the impression that was actually her consciousness, but who knows.
    Messy business with having shattered pink diamond though...
    Very feelsy episode, I like how this show is 'brave' enough to just be kind of sad when the story calls for it.

Edit:
    http://mimicteixeira.tumblr.com/post/157371888569/im-sorry-but-i-had-to-i-must-say-i-connie-is

Oof :p

4 seasons in, and it seems like it's barely started. Lapis and Peridot are still background gems and not really integrated into the team (or the titles) but maybe they will be in time. We still have only really seen the tip of the iceberg with the rest of the gems or the overall story. Hopefully this means the show will go on for several more seasons yet!

One of the moments of the show so far has to be
    Steven managing to reason with the Cluster and get it to bubble itself.
    That was proper finale kind of stuff, except ... far from the end :p

Jaw dropping moment of the show
    The reveal that Garnet is a fusion. That utterly blew my mind, I was sat there going "oh... wow"

Gems in order of preference
    Steven
    Garnet
    Amethyst
    Peridot
    Pearl
    Ruby
    Sapphire
    Lapis

The whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts ;)
    Pearl is kind of whiny for my tastes
    Lapis isn't a bad character, there's just not a lot to her. She is you could say, wishy washy, hehe.

E: soo.. did I come at a time when everyone's stopped watching it? :p

#317 Cloudane, 18 February 2017
    Last edited: 18 February 2017
    Recurrent Trotting, Bexy164 and Thorn like this.
  18. Cloudane

Great, a Ronaldo episode /s
    I wonder if he causes the ratings to dive like the footballer XD

Well, it wasn't too bad :p

Worst thing about being caught up is only getting 11 minutes of S:U per week!

19. Recurrent Trotting

great ep. not pony (I'm beginning to pine for new pony, the 15th April can't come soon enough), but not bad
    great ep for developing lapis. good to see she's still damaged - ok that might sound a bit evil, but it adds something to the show that not every gem is happy. Unlike Peri and the other CGs she hasn't repudiated her diamond, and what I'm most looking forward to is Lapis either finally shaking off Blue or Blue shaking off homeworld. (Blue is my favourite diamond :3 that voice!)

Navy feeling joyful at deceiving the crystal gems on the same note as being joyful about earth was chilling. Interesting to see that Garnet thought that Navy might actually take to earth though - shows that Navy was tempted to stay I think. Navy is clearly acting contrary to type by tricking Steven, and acting like that is a trait we tend to associate with earth gems

the placement of the button to exclude intruders being not on the pilot's control panel is a piece of plot convenience though :p why would it require activation by anyone other than the pilot?

Cloudane likes this.
  20. Cloudane

Wrestling one was a good logical conclusion to that whole thing, and had some nice moments. Amethyst goofs around so much (which is good), it's always nice when we're treated to her sensitive side.

As for Room for Ruby
    Dat plot twist!

I'm kind of glad - whilst at times Navy had very slight elements of Fluttershy that endeared me to her, overall she was really painfully sickly - something which would've been a running gag - and that and her high pitched breathless voice would've driven me absolutely nuts :p

I quite liked where I thought it was going though, i.e. you basically have the people there to make up a crew and take the series out into the stars and see this homeworld and whatnot. Maybe later!