1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by WelshPony, 28 March 2015.

?

Your Favourite Gem?

1. Steven

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Garnet

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Amethyst

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. Pearl

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Just Do It

just realised how much the SU song Haven't you noticed I'm a star (which is greatness :D ) fits Rarity

*quick search for crossover song* mmhm not bad

Cloudane likes this.
  2. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

New merch! Construction sets are now a thing, apparently.
    Links: Set 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

The Rose figure is gorgeous!

3. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Ready your bomb shelters:

Loganberry and Bexy164 like this.
  4. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

*Ahem* This looks good

Thorn likes this.
  5. Thorn

So Cartoon Network released the new Steven Bomb (yes, the entirety of it) on their app. Predictably, leaks happened, furthering my suspicion that somebody on the SU team is doing this on purpose now.

Regardless of such, HOLY CRAP, what just happened?!

Lion 4: Alternate Ending was leaked waaaay back, but I thought I'd go back to it for the sake of the episodes. For a Lion episode, it was simply okay. Considering the Lion episodes before it, I guess I was expecting more from it and initially, the ending felt rather bland, but after this rewatch, I figured that it's called "Alternate Ending" for a reason. It isn't supposed to be exciting, it's simply a "What If" kind of story. Admittedly, Nora Universe doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well as Steven Universe, but it's nice to think that maybe that's what the show could have been called if Steven were a girl instead.

Doug Out was entertaining. We don't get to see too much of Connie's parents outside of minor appearances and Doug was pretty cool. I was confused as to why he'd openly let two children join in a stakeout, but he and Connie's mother seem to have accepted her new responsibility pretty well... Beach City is rather culturally bankrupt when you think about it. Onion being the one behind it was super predictable, but it was a nice opening for the next few episodes. Minor complaint though, the animation for both Steven and Connie was a bit inconsistent. There were a few scenes when they looked super short and the rest of the time, they looked their normal height.

The Good Lars was a sweet episode. Lars being embarrassed about his baking skills was honestly something I could relate to. I really enjoy cosplaying as some of you may know, but I'm not the most open about it to people I don't know that well. I'd never heard of an Ube cake before. After this episode (and a quick Google search), I really want to try one now. Sadie being nervous about meeting the cool kids and ending up having a good time with them: again, super relatable.

Are You My Dad and I Am My Mom (might as well combine them) were really good mystery episodes. Was anybody else expecting Aquamarine to be related to Lapis? The possibility is still there of course, but in any case, Aqua was cute and I was genuinely puzzled as to why specific humans were being kidnapped; wasn't expecting a callback to Warp Tour of all episodes.

That ending though... all I can say is I can't wait until Season 5 on May 31st (though given the leaky ship that is Cartoon Network, that'll probably be next week for all we know).

#325 Thorn, 5 May 2017
    Last edited: 6 May 2017
    abrony-mouse and Bexy164 like this.
  6. Babbage

Babbage Square + Circle Is Life

As always, new episodes have a Peridizzle deficiency. :p

7. Bexy164

But they were wonderful for Pearl, even with her somewhat brief appearances

8. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

An FYI - the second wave of SU Funko Pops just came into stock in Forbidden Planet Glasgow, so other FP/FPI branches should probably have them now.

Thorn and Bexy164 like this.
  9. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Just Do It

soo I've been thinking about the powers my favourite gem (Rose :3 ) has and how they relate to her (pre crystal gem) role.

In terms of her role. She was a member of Rose's court just as Saphire is of Blue's ("they were hers"), and her powers were designed to further those of her diamond. Pink's personality is only hinted at but she seemed very caring of the humans in her zoo, even if that caring was lacking in a human quality, and her picture in the moon temple made her look like a gem whose powers are very earthy (spinging up from the ground like that) and also creative (looking at the stars).

In terms of her powers. Rose Quartzes are clearly very caring/nurturing as well as dizty :p and the most obvious powers that Steven displays are defensive/nurturing - shielding and healing. However, some of Steven's powers are less obvious. The dream-walking and weird watermelon/pumpkin sentience power in particular. I think these powers are both related to empathy, which I also think was the real power of Pink diamond. Dream-walking is fairly straightforwardly empathetic, and in the Lars ep Steven uses this power to understand Lars (we'll likely see a repeat of this in the s5 premiere). Watermelon/pumpkin sentience could be seen as the ultimate Rose Quartz's power - going beyond healing (as restoration) they can augment others. However, the augmention is not straightforward or mechanical like a peridot, but augmentation based on an organic understanding of the being that is augmented, and the process is empathetic (or two-way) so that something of the Rose Quartz itself is passed on. I think that this explains the existence of Lion - there is a special connection bewtween Lion and Rose that only they understand (not even Pearl) and lion was also augmented with a power that is not just a reproduction of Rose's own power but I suspect relates to the wishes of that particular lion (it is a very lazy selfish lion :p so um maybe it just wanted to teleport instead of moving itself). The existence of Steven can also be explained as the application of this Rose Quartz power at its highest level, since she created sentient life. In doing so she is also being radically empathetic since she fundamentally transforms herself.

*pant pant* :D haven't SU theorised for a while

Bexy164 likes this.
  10. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Just Do It

soo 1hr ep just aired :D
    trial was the best of the three eps - being by far the most exciting and amusing. Love the Yellow/Blue interaction. Also I spoiled myself for the big reveal in the later eps :p Comparing steven bombs I far prefer the That will be all arc

have to say Lion/Lars is quite dark for a kids show. Was a very touching moment when Steven looks at Lion on the return :( not sure SU is really able to make it work tbh, so I think probably they shouldn't have gone there. (I prefer pony's subtle approach to AJ's parents) SU is far more grown up than pony ofc but there are limits. Also was there really no better way of getting Steven to homeworld than to kill Lars? Another gripe about it is that the realisation that lion died is a big moment in Steven's relationship with Lion and instead we are sidetracked by the teleportal thing.

the new gems are just 'alright' in a show with generally great characters and reveals. I have to say I prefer my gems sassy. Compare the reveal of these gems with Peri's reveal, or Lapis' or even the Diamonds etc

in terms of the implication that Rose didn't shatter Pink... well I hope this is just a ploy. It works perfectly for Rose's character for her to shatter Pink in order to save the earth, as it mirrors her own destruction in order to create Steven. If Yellow do dun it then meh, but why would Rose pretend to her friends that it was her? A far more interesting possibity to me is that it was White who did it as a punishment to Pink for failing to control her colony. The constant narrative in the show is that useless gems are dead gems >:3 White could have done a deal with Rose to get Pink within reach of Rose's sword and might have used Rose, telling her that Pink would be poofed/bubbled while knowing that the sword would instead shatter a diamond. White's deal would be to let Earth stay safe (another lie since the diamonds would go on to use the corrupting light in response to the killing). Why the secrecy? Well Blue would clearly not have been happy for Pink to be shattered and that would give White a motive to hide it.

glimpse of white diamond(?) or statue?

11. Bexy164

10 characters
    But Rose's sword is designed to only disrupt the physical forms of gems. This whole point about the sword was the entire catalyst for Bismuth even

12. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Just Do It

more characters :3
    yeah I might be running too far with my headcannon there. Ever since I heard that the sword poofs gems and diamonds cannot poof (which is just a rumour I think :p ) I've always thought there was a possibiliy Rose's sword could shatter diamonds. I think I like that idea so much because it fits with Rose not intentionally shattering Pink but still being involved. As you say the idea that the sword would shatter a diamond runs totally contrary to the message of the Bismuth ep. It is a shame that Zircon didn't add Rose shattering a diamond with a sword to her list of improbable things, but presumably that's because she wouldn't know Rose's sword wasn't designed to shatter gems.

13. Thorn

Normally I'd be posting my thoughts here, but I'm holding off on watching until Friday when I go up to @I'dLikeToBeATree's place for the weekend. I just hope I can dodge spoilers until then.

14. Bexy164

Still some characters~
    I do agree about Zircon not knowing about the swords capabilities.
    On another note about Zircon, I love the Phoenix Wright style statement she made, very much reminded me of the final turnabout in Spirit of Justice (If you've played it I think you'll know what I mean)

Also Lars. Gotta know more about he copes on homeworld with the off-colours

15. Thorn

So did anyone see the news from SDCC? We have two sneak peeks as well as a trailer for the upcoming console game:

We also have an official video for Stronger Than You and... God, I wish I could have been there:

Bexy164 likes this.