1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by WelshPony, 28 March 2015.

?

Your Favourite Gem?

1. Steven

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Garnet

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Amethyst

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. Pearl

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

And... up to date. I have now seen up to and including S5E18. So... don't read further unless you've seen that far yourself. I haven't seen the big leak(s?) that Cartoon Network apparently let slip, so you're safe from those here.

Look, if you're here, you know what the spoiler is anyway. But... well. Well. That puts a whole new spin on... everything, really. I know the "Rose is Pink Diamond" theory has been floating around the fandom for ages, but I suspect nearly everyone expected it to get shot down eventually. Whew... this makes Rose a seriously grey character morally. I mean, even more so than before. And doubtless with more twists to come.

Also also, I saw this on Twitter. I hadn't made the link myself, but... yeah.

2. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member. They/them

Well, it certainly is something

How do y'all here feel about it? I'm interested to see where it will go

3. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

I admittedly kinda saw it coming, what with all the theories and all, but I never expected it would actually happen.

Also, can we please appreciate that Lapis finally got a song and it's beautiful?

4. Recurrent Trotting

not a fan of this revelation (wasn't a fan of the theory either) as it's a gutsy show which could've handled a bit of shattering and it was very justifiable on the version of events we thought were canon since Pink, like the other diamonds, would have destroyed the earth.

I did love the way they did the reveal ep though - Pearlception :D

also Pink has pom pom slippers so she can't be evil

also also I really wanted Zircon's statement to be a full troll, but at least it was a half-troll :p cheeky SU writers pinning it on the other diamonds

edit - was wondering if this had been a planned thing from the start, but I think not as there were a few times when the animation would be trolling us otherwise eg in what can I do for you Pearl and PD fuse and the gem is definitely a rose quartz. Later on though when Stevonnie/Amethyst fuse the gem is hidden, so perhaps the writers knew by then?

#344 Recurrent Trotting, 8 May 2018
    Last edited: 8 May 2018
    DerpyWhooves likes this.
  5. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

WWwwwwwwwow.

I'm okay with this - if there's one thing that never ceases to amaze me with SU it's how it keeps on whacking out doozies of plot twists even 5 seasons in... keeps things interesting and keeps you guessing. I don't follow the SU fandom, so it genuinely came out of the left field to me!

6. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

S5E21 spoilers:

I NEED AN AMETHYST PONY NOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thorn likes this.
  7. sten whik

sten whik Space

Well this might just be the best delivered Amethyst line of the series...

Psssst. It's me. I'm a horse.

Close enough?
    [​IMG]

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  8. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

Lol, I thought someone might post her :D

Another thing about the episode:

A friend mentioned that this is the first lesbian engagement in Western animation! I hadn't even thought about that, I was too busy doing this.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Recurrent Trotting

new ep!
    it was a shame that the ep couldn't be better paced as so much needs wrapping up but the extra insight into the diamonds in the ep was sweet. Yellow confirmed that she's all about the material gem when she retores Nephrite's body, while Blue confirms she's all about its mind when she restores that. Pink meanwhile shows us that she resstores a gem's spirit. A few other diamond themes came up too. I had thought that it was White who disrupted the gems' minds when the diamonds attacked, but now I think that it is more likely that she made the effect permanent, since the other diamonds together were able to restore her, but only temporarily and Yellow definitely thought White could fix it permanently.

I agree with theories suggesting that White is an obsessive control freak. White doesn't let Steven speak and is generally dismissive of both his actions/thoughts and those of Yellow and Blue. White also seems to be a bit of a cruel sociopath. Her pearl appears unnatural, as if it doesn't have its own personality, and is scarred. Homeworld itself looks to be scarred, and we already know that White crushes off-colours who don't conform to her plan for the planet. We also find out that neither Blue nor Yellow knew that corruption would take place on earth - but I bet White knew that. In the background to the ep we also found out that White destroys all off-colours who don't conform to her plan for the planet, which would reflect her knowing use of corruption against the Earth gems. Ominously Garnet predicts that Steven will be alright, but foresees problems for herself and maybe the others and Yellow and Blue are also evidently nervous about the idea of White finding out about what has happened

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  10. sten whik

sten whik Space

Oh this is a thing tomorrow by the way...

Bexy164 likes this.
  11. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member. They/them

It is nice to see some Garnet

12. Recurrent Trotting

well...

well

*head explodes*

:3

the song at the end of the episode is so beautifully sung. I wish it was longer... and the lyrics were a little less on the nose. But the singing though <3

13. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

As for the final four-episode special...

...it was compulsively watchable, that's for sure! I was not expecting... well, pretty much anything that happened there./ When the Off Colours turned up I had the stupidest grin. :D

The one downside was that the ending seemed a bit rushed and simplistic -- everyone's said sorry so that's that? Nah, not buying it. I have to assume there'll be some "confronting what you did" for certain Diamonds in S6, assuming we get that, or maybe the film.

14. sten whik

sten whik Space

With the abrupt end of FIM thanks to Australia this week and the abrupt end of Ducktales season 2 next week we also have this movie...

#355 sten whik, 26 August 2019
    Last edited: 5 September 2019
    Bexy164 likes this.
  15. sten whik

sten whik Space

I realise I never wrote down my thoughts of the big season 5 finale of Steven Universe anywhere so I'm making up for it with the next thing...

Steven Universe: The Movie (8/10)
    This time the rating means that eight tenths of the film is great while the other two tenths fall a bit flat. :p
    Visually the quality is about the same as the show; high detail well balanced digital toon backgrounds, smooth but often off-model animations, and the odd background/environment animation (though this is a seasons worth of animations crammed into a shorter timeframe so they appear much more frequently). The style of the backgrounds is slightly different, they have a wider colour palette and the ink lines actually follow the silhouette of those colours whereas before they purposefully were misaligned.
    Audio is also about the same high quality we're used to, they didn't make the mistake of burning money on live action actors like most animated features do to (and they've previously done) but they chose to cram the film with songs so some are hits and other are misses.
    The frequent songs keep the film's pacing somewhat stable however there's like two or three songs too many which causes things to drag in places and feel rushed in others.
    Ultimately I'd say the first sixty minutes of the film are perfection and then it goes downhill after that. The causes of this centre around jarring out of character dialogue/actions, one poor song, a couple plot holes, and things happening because the plot said so not because it makes sense or that the characters are in the right place for it to happen. Basically the opposite of the season 5 finale which...

Was the satisfying culmination of many plot threads and seasons of character growth resulting in an amazing confrontation of physical, verbal, and internal conflicts. The characters were given the time to express themselves, airing out all their grievances in a logical understandable way so that the plot felt it naturally concluded as a result of it and not because there needed to be a conclusion.

Here with this movie the villain's violent emotional introduction was impactful. Every line and note in her first song is a godly expression of her feelings. Then later in her second song is a godly expression of her motivation. Immediately after that she suddenly switches out of those feelings and drops that motivation barely after the third song has even begun, with nothing else to work with the song becomes a forgettable waste of time. This is start of where things go wrong, the plot has decided that she needs to be good for a little while in order to bring about the return of Garnet but failed to deliver the switch. Then when it's time to switch her back Steven says something completely out of character to get her to do it. At this point all logic is off the table for the rest of the film. The snowball of illogic concludes with her declaring that she doesn't feel like she can be Steven's friend with all the damage she has caused and Steven for some reason doesn't explain that he's forgiven three genocidal dictators and by comparison what she's done is nothing. Said taters even turn up and take her away, which would be acceptable conclusion to the plot if Steven had been depicted to at least be accepting of her, instead it looks like he's just getting rid of someone that might change the status quo of the show which is funny given how his whole character arc for the film is remembering to accept change.

Speaking of not changing the status quo, the big plot hole of the movie is that the device the villain brought with her from some other plot hole to wipe out the planet doesn't for no apparent reason. It doesn't even do any permanent damage, while Beach City is destroyed it's later rebuilt back to how it was. Not sure why they bothered to introduce that new city if they weren't going to move everyone there. Would have paved the way for a nice Human/Gem populace integration story further down the line. It's clear that someone high up doesn't want to risk changing up the formula.

Right. Rant over. Now I can go back to listening to Spinel's electro swing on loop and forget the end of the film...

16. Recurrent Trotting

this movie was great :D we continue to be spoiled by cartoon awesomeness

the good
    Spinel was such a novel character! The way she moved and acted is nothing like anything else in the show or anything currently on TV I've seen (I realise she's based on old cartoons but updating that for a show like SU is crazily ambitious). Also I love the way Rebecca plays with the idea of Spinel being a 'thing' - Spinel moves and acts like a toy, is introduced with a corny advert, which looks like it's selling a Spinel toy, and actually she is essentially an abandoned toy. IMO she's what would happen if a Pinkie toy evey became a Chucky like animated evil pink pony toy >:3 The Toy Story theme of being an abandoned toy would've fitted well with the movie... except it kinda lost that plot.

Rebecca has done the dependent theme with Pearl a great deal (better than with Spinel) and I love loss of identity as a theme in SU.

Also the look of Spinel: the lines on her face and the upside down heart were great touches.

I agree @sten whik that her motivation (being abandoned by Pink moving on and being jealous/angry at Steven and co) is great, both because it's powerful and because it fits her being a toy.

the songs as ever were amazing :D they pack a load of emotion. Spinel's songs were the most memorable but Steven's happily ever after, Steven/Greg's, Sadie/Pearl's and Garnet's were all great. Shall be listening to them (and hopefully remixes) for a while

the meh

too many fight sequences for me. SU really does struggle to do a good fight sequence. The first song was fun but as a fight it didn't look/feel right - zig-zagging flatly across the ground and stretching around the tower especially looked terrible. Tossing the gems about and wiggling around them and teasing them was ok, but the big cartoony moves didn't (but then it is a kids show :p ). It'd have been so much more sinister, made more of the Gems fighting abilities, and worked just as well with Spinel's toy theme if she'd worn them out by hijinks and then taken them down one by one.

I love the ending song as an idea. The adore you theme + Spinel theme was a great piece of song-writing. But it's spoiled by the terrible way the diamonds were used (rant below)

some fun humour in there, but not as much as I thought there would be. 'Hikinks will ensue' was great, as was Greg returning to the bathroom and the general Greg/Pearl antics. Peridot, Bismuth and co saying that it took them ages to get over killing Steven and Lapis saying she was on the fence was hilarious :D However, I feel that original Spinel should have been funnier...

the bad
    the diamonds... Pink was too much of a punch-bag in the movie. I didn't get much sense of who she was other than she was irresponsible, and I got the (very depressing) feeling that it is now canon that she has died unredeemed, while the other gems get to change for the better. It would've felt better if we could have had a sequence letting us understand why Pink enjoyed Spinel, why she 'grew up' and wanted a colony and why she only found true growth in Steven. There was a lovely line about Pink (Rose) saying that every time he was happy that was 'her' enjoying being Steven. Well what about him being sad reflecting that too, letting her have at least some ghostly contribution to righting her wrongs?

The appearance of the diamonds at the start/end didn't work in itself and totally undersold the characters. The worst thing about this is that Pink's character was really important to the narrative, but the movie did not follow the show in making the diamonds a complete package with interlocking flaws/strengths who were all responsible for Spinel:
    • Blue is emotionally warm but lacks perspective on herself and other gems, leading to exceses of self-pity and anger (the former is obvious, but it was good to get the latter confirmed when she's accused of shattering/manipulating gems).
    • Yellow has perspective but ends up seeing herself, the diamonds etc and her gems as instruments, detaching herself from her emotions.
    • White is intelligent and understands the emotional and rational value of gems but is too in her own head, reluctant to let herself or her gems be themselves.
    • ...Pink is too herself I guess. She loves the gems and the environments she finds herself in but because she doesn't really understand or respect the value of them or gems she ends up acting like a selfish child.
    If Pink is to be a selfish child then that's fine, and that is implicit in her actions in the movie... but how could she not act like that given that the diamonds failed to raise her properly? They gave her Spinel and allowed her to abandon it, leading to the current mess. This wasn't Pink's fault alone at all - it was all the diamonds together. If there had only been a few shots of the other diamonds with Pink ignoring her concerns about her Spinel vs the colony that would have helped.

finally Pearl knowing about Spinel is a plot hole :p if she knew then she was also responsible for abandoning Spinel and the Pearl we know now wouldn't do that. She didn't trust Lapis (who could also have been broken?) and she didn't know about Bismuth

#357 Recurrent Trotting, 7 September 2019
    Last edited: 7 September 2019