1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Swearing in PM's

Discussion in 'Community Suggestions' started by Wonderbolt, 14 May 2016.

1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

So on UKoE we have a no swearing policy on the main forum (Which is a actually a great thing and makes the forum more friendly so no issues there).
    But the same censoring system is still in use in PM's which seems a bit daft seen as its a private conversation between members, so when you write a word the censor considers offensive it asterisks it out so conservations can end up not making much scene sometimes.
    Seen as PMs are private would it not make more sense to remove the censor on them so that people can write what they wish and it still make sense.

deaduser likes this.
  2. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I think rules get weird within PMs, and I'm not terribly sure if there are formal written rules on what's OK and what's not in PMs.
    Clearly the forum rules are set in stone, and I hear that there is some flexibility in the IRC rules (but can't confirm) so, TBH I have no idea.

3. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

It's not so much flexibility as a lack of jurisdiction. Forum PMs are clearly part of the site so the rules do apply, IRC PMs are not connected to the channel and therefore are subject to the network-wide rules only.

4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Having had some discussion on rules in PMs, I believe basically: the rules still apply. They don't go snooping into your PMs or anything evil like that, but if they received a complaint from a member then they'd have to investigate (in case someone's being harassed, for example). You can be as naughty as you like as long as the other member doesn't mind, but obviously with the rules still applying they won't have seen it as appropriate to disable the filter there...

5. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

I think the short form is: PMs aren't as P as you think they are and this should be borne in mind.
    Censoring of cuss-words, if such a thing occurs (and I honestly don't know if it does) , is purely a function of the software rather than any overbearing moderation/censorship policy.

6. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I can understand the point of harassment (but people can harass people weather swearing is banned or not).
    It just seems a little childish and immature that cuss words are banned in areas not visible by people not involved in the conversation and mods.

7. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

One reason is that everything you do with your UK of Equestria forum account can be thought of as part of the UK of E "family" -- and if we have the same rules everywhere, then everyone knows where they stand. For example, it's not okay to exchange NSFW art via PMs any more than it would be on the forums. We've had discussions from time to time (including in public threads) about whether some of these rules should be loosened, and on each occasion there's been a strong preference for keeping the relatively strict setup we have now. It's something UK of E has that's distinctive, and it's not going to change now.

As @Cloudane says, though, we don't routinely read PMs; in fact, it's very rare. I've said this to him privately and I'll repeat it now in public: if this ever changed, I would resign from my staff role on the spot. As a moderator, I don't have access to the PM system anyway -- only admins do. We recognise that compromising the privacy of a PM is a very serious step, so it's right that any decision to do so is made at a very senior level..

tl;dr version: Use a bit of common sense and you'll be fine. :)

Mind you, if you're using so many swearwords that your conversation doesn't make sense when they're censored, something is getting a tad out of hoof. :p

8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

the not making sence was more a possibility rather than me xD

Loganberry likes this.
  9. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I think a possible solution would probably be finding a way to message someone off the site, if that's the sort of discussion you want to have.
    The last time I had a PM on this site was probably over a year ago, but even then, they were probably brief and not too detailed. If I ever had a lengthy discussion about something or other, it would have most likely been on Skype, Steam, etc. etc.

10. electrokitty

electrokitty Coffee Enthusiast

Might want to get an admin to clarify some things, but as far as I'm aware the swear filter remains for PMs as this is a family friendly website to protect members who might not wish to read that kind of language from being messaged by people they don't know. As @Loganberry has said, only admins have access to read PMs, and it is only done in the event that the content from a PM gets reported (with a good reason) or if the user is being investigated for breaking one of the more serious rules (or the law) and there is reasonable grounds to do this. There are certain things that are always against the rules even for PMs, such as discussing illegal activity or sharing NSFW material, however if you are in a conversation with someone you know well and that they will not take offence to bad language, there is no reason why you should refrain from linking to content with swearing or dare I say avoiding the swear filter.

Note that this post should not be taken as official proof that we condone this, but as long as you follow the rest of the site rules and neither party in the PM is bothered by swearing (i.e they won't report it) then it is very unlikely we would ever find out and I don't think we have ever penalised a user for it (with the exception of some very large ~50+ user PMs as they essentially have the same viewership as some threads). Of course it should also probably go without saying but most of the 'Forum Etiquette' rules do not apply to PMs and will not be enforced (with the exception of 'no spam'). I say this because I think we have actually had reports of a double post inside of a PM before :p