1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

The August Broadcast!

Discussion in 'Official News' started by Alteran, 5 August 2015.

1. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

So, we’re now entering the month of August. For those of you who might not know, August is the third and supposedly final month of the summer period. We’ve just come out of the GalaCon weekend (a good number of people were there, and a good number of our own members were there too!). Coming off of the highs of the convention and speaking to people there, we have decided to put together another status update for you all.

So, here goes…

[​IMG]

Site Changes
    In the coming days, we will be rolling out a number of improvements to the website. We’ve been hard at work over the past couple of days (between partying at GalaCon) making sure that it’s all ready for you.

Out of these changes, there will be notable improvements to mobile and desktop users, which will be particularly useful for those that aren’t part of the Tapatalk crowd, as well as some improvements to make life more difficult for spammers. The latter is thanks to an update for the software we use that powers the forum. Another update to the software is due in the next few weeks, and we will update to that when a stable version becomes available. (See what I did there?)

To roll out these improvements, we may need to take the website offline for short periods - the IRC chat service and TeamSpeak will continue to be available when this is happening. When we’ve got some times set for this work, we’ll put up notices in the usual way to inform you. That way, you won’t find yourself writing a message, clicking “Submit” and getting an error because we’ve switched the forums off!

We’re also planning on making some improvements to our conventions section, which you will see a bit further in the future in advance for next year’s con season, which leads us to…

Conventions
    A few months ago, we went through the list of conventions listed in our conventions discussion area and looked over them to make sure they weren’t stale. Among our checks, we would do some research to see if a listed event had visible activity as well as a half-sensible “game plan” and ample information available on their websites and advertised media.

If we couldn’t find these things or weren’t happy with them, we’d then reach out to the organisers and try to grab some more information. If this was unsuccessful, we would then go ahead and close the discussion, leaving a reason as to why we’ve closed the thread.

As you may have seen from more recent events, not every event goes according to plan. Bad luck can occasionally be a factor, but thorough planning is almost always key to the success of a convention. Where conventions have been better-organised and better publicised, we have been happy to show our appreciation and support, but where standards have fallen short, we have been done what we can to notify people about our concerns.

We’re not the conventions police, nor are we trying to be. But we can do what we can (within reason) to make sure that you, our users, are reasonably informed, as your safety is our first priority.

Suggestions
    As always, we’re open for suggestions and feedback. If there’s something you’d like to see, please do let us know and we’ll consider it.

... until next time!

Dax, CrikeyoRilley, BRJ and 12 others like this.
  2. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

In case you haven't spotted the broadcast banner at the top of the website, I'll also note here:

We'll be taking the website offline some time this evening to perform essential maintenance and updates to the service. The IRC chat will be available (as always) and the TeamSpeak will also continue to be available for anyone who wishes to use it.

I would invite you to play some Team Fortress with me to pass the time, but guess who's going to be the one doing the maintenance? :-(

3. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

Is there a precise timeframe available for the downtime?

4. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

I would guess around 10PM, although I'm not one who enjoys speculation.

5. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member. They/them

Mentioning TF2, is there aUKofE server? Because that would be a good time waster

6. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I believe the details are on the Steam Group

Bexy164 likes this.
  7. Bexy164

Ah, I don't keep up with the Steam Group:oops:

8. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

So, as you might have noticed, we perhaps "upgraded" a little more than we were originally letting on.

Whilst I was working on putting the improvement in to place, our hosts surprised us with some unexpected downtime.

Needless to say, I wasn't very happy with this, but once they got the problem sorted out, I got straight back to work!

We really hope you enjoy the improvements, and if you have any feedback regarding the changes, then please let us know!

Thanks.

9. Bexy164

It's so different what am I doing ahhh I don't know how to forum any more

But seriously, I have yet to make an opinion

10. Arc Light

Arc Light Caffeine levels discharging: 68%, mood lighting

And so, it begins mwhahaha :D

11. Bexy164

Aww you have a little smiley face next to your avatar

12. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

It looks a bit more like the old UKoE with that little member card thing. It was similar to that when I first joined.
    Also like the little "Online Now" dot, and that smiley little Moderator symbol.

13. Arc Light

Cos I am always so happy ^_^

Bexy164 likes this.
  14. Bexy164

You're avatar's just staring at it like "what is this mysterious symbol?"

15. Arc Light

Hahaha, it wasn't there when he last looked :p

Bexy164 likes this.
  16. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

Mine just pretends that it isn't there. XD

17. Bexy164

The surprize theme... It's gone...

18. Arc Light

Yours is more interested in the strange blinking green light XD

19. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

Oooh! Shiny!

Yeah, sorry about that. There weren't enough people using it to justify porting it over to start with.

Arc Light likes this.
  20. Bexy164

:(
    Also, why is Hearths Warming there? Isn't that a Christmas theme?
    Also could someone please post a screenshot of the desktop page. I'm using Mobile and want to see it