1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

The Crystal Empire

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Wisdom Pen, 1 April 2013.

?

Is the Crystal Empire an Equestrian version of Britain?

1. Yes

53.8%
  2. No

15.4%
  3. Maybe

30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wisdom Pen

Wisdom Pen Residential Philosopher and Wizard of Lincoln

Am I the only one that thinks that the Crystal Empire is really Britain?

Royal Marriage of Cadence and Shining Armour - Royal Marriage of William and Kate (Including Shining Armours Uniform and even their names sound similar)
    Crystal EMPIRE - British Empire
    Crystal Empire 2012 Olympics - British 2012 Olympics

What do you guys think?

PegaSyptic Gypsy likes this.
  2. Ecthelion_Yuda

Ecthelion_Yuda King of Games

I like the Crystal Empire too much for it to resemble Britain. Probably it resembles an idealistic concept of britain, but I find it unlikely that an American show would place such emphasis on praising something that Americans in general don't like the idea of.

Neonpossum likes this.
  3. Moonbrony

Moonbrony Fluttershy's husband

It can't be Britain, no chav ponies :)

4. Wisdom Pen

Well i meant more what Britain would look like if it had happiness andlove filled ponies instead of humans as its residents making it a better version of Britain just like Equestria is very much like a version of America with magical love filled ponies and thus a better version of it.

5. Nopony

Nopony Star Wars!

But I don't want to be made of crystal
    the_crystal_chronicles_by_csimadmax-d5wk41z copy.jpg
    CSImadmax makes the best comics.

Help likes this.
  6. Wisdom Pen

Well thats too Dam (get it dam like a female horse parent hehe) bad your gonna be one so there!

7. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

The Crystal Empire is the place where a certain type of pony is housed. Note the lack of other ponies there.
    Also, notice the lack of crystal ponies outside of the empire.

Draw your own conclusions.

8. Redback Sigil

Redback Sigil Resident brony sage, writer and on/off artist

I never looked at it like that! It's probably not all that inentional, but it's a neat comparison to make. Also note that they are said to have at one point had a queen, unlike Equestria.

Parthidens likes this.
  9. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

Well it's cold enough!

10. Neonpossum

Neonpossum Pony Artist

Haha I was thinking this, it's quite an interested concept :)

11. Centurion

Centurion Honorary Pony

There's no mention of a crystal emperor or empress, so it can't be an empire.

Ecthelion_Yuda likes this.
  12. Nopony

Nopony Star Wars!

the Mongols had a empire but it called its leader The Great Khan.

13. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I'd definitely made the link of the marriage as a pretty clear homage to William & Kate (they even had the exact same balcony scene), but I never thought of your other points. Good shout!

King Sombre I guess is meant to represent the more tyrannical kings of ages past, though the whole thing around him and everyone shuddering at the memories of his rule also reminds me a little bit of Thatcher.

And I've already said elsewhere, but I'm calling it now that the start of season 4 will see the birth of another little princess, Skyla, as a parallel to William & Kate's baby which will have dropped by then.
    http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/08/new-pony-toy-spotted-princess-skyla.html
    That mane. Definitely. If it's not Cadance's child, perhaps linked in with a "new year, new princess" kind of deal (they've done Christmas, Spring and Valentines Day but not New Years yet) I'll be looking for an edible hat.

14. Wisdom Pen

15. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

16. OTill

OTill Who am I?

I always kind of considered the Crystal Empire (geographically at least) as Canada. If you consider Equestria as America, then the Crystal Empire would be Canada. I always considered Trottingham as being the MLP equivalent of the UK, mostly because of Pip Squeaks voice at the beginning of 'Luna Eclipsed' but also because it's one of the few locations mentioned in the show that doesn't appear on the Equestria map (implying it's in a different country) and the name itself just sounds like a play-on Nottingham.

But, despite that, I can see your link exactly ;). I wonder how they pull of the Equestria Games episode - whether maybe we'll be able to make any more links to the 2012 olympics. Who knows, maybe Cadence will fly down into the stadium ;)

17. Centurion

Centurion Honorary Pony

Or get thrown by shining amour. XD

18. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

Well, the Crystal Empire seems to be surrounded by permanent winter, so that's at least some supporting evidence...

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  19. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

I think the whole medieval fair thing in the Crystal Empire is a parallel with heritage days and stuff, where they recreate medieval markets and you have minstrels and bards wandering round. And the Cadance/Shining Armor story is an obvious parallel with Prince William and Princess Kate. Also, the climate (is the Equestrian Arctic some sort of parallel with the North Sea?)

But I think the Empire may be too . . . grand . . . for it to really capture the rustic charm that Britain has. It reminds me of a more imperialist state, with its grandiose buildings and enormous central tower, somewhat like Lord Farquaad's citadel in Shrek. Maybe Ancient Rome or something (I know the climate and culture don't fit with Rome, but hey).

Also, has there been any exploration of exactly how big the Crystal Empire is? Does it just consist of one city? Or are there multiple cities across a large realm, and we've only seen the capital?