1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

The "Gamergate" Debacle

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Fridge, 26 October 2014.

1. XBPonyA

XBPonyA Pegulsus is best boyfriend <3

That is too bad.

2. Pony X

Pony X Unsilent Majority

I believe Thunderf00t's criticism of Sarkeesian was very good, exposing her dishonesty and explaining all the flaws in her arguments. He's one of my favourtie youtubers.

XBPonyA likes this.
  3. XBPonyA

I agree wholeheartedly.

4. XBPonyA

2 more videos that are not by thunerf00t.

5. Britpoint

Britpoint 私、きになります!

Certainly criticism of her work is valid, but he did it by throwing fuel on a terrible fire and became a mascot for an organised hate campaign in the process.

I also hate how he lumps "feminists" together in that implied "they don't want equality they hate men" way. If you ask most 'Gamergaters' who publicly deplore the harassment of people like Anita, they will tell you that GamerGate is supposed to be about ethics in videogame journalism. Those ideas may have some merit. Unfortunately, people like Thunderf00t try to turn it into "gamers vs. feminists" which is a false dichotomy based on some tin-foil hat notion of 'feminism' as something that wants to destroy all the sexy ladies in ur gaems.

6. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I remember watching some of Thunderf00t's videos many, many years ago. They were mostly due to the very silly claims some creationists made that were just so unbelievable. Of course over the years I've forgotten that Thunderf00t even exists anymore. What makes me apprehensive, is that this guy reminds me of the stereotypical "neckbeard" who is known for two things, the "euphoria of atheism" and misogyny. It makes me cringe knowing that such people genuinely exist and are open with their... ideas, it seems surreal to me.
    Once again, the whole idea of GamerGate escapes me. If it is actually about journalistic ethics, then sure, lead the way, anything that stops IGN and similar practices of developers and publishers paying off reviewers.
    If it's about the portrayal of women in video games, by all means, I think it should be even broader than just women being portrayed, other demographics are unfairly portrayed.
    You will get people who get the wrong end of the stick of GamerGate and these will be the people who seem to misunderstand the campaigners (although the campaigners themselves aren't helping the situation with the rhetoric they are using, you engage the masses, talk with them, not talk them down as if they were children).

7. Fridge

Fridge Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.

That's the problem, while it really should mainly be about ethics within games journalism, because of where and how the while thing started and is perpetuated it's now just a arguement about how "femininism is destroying our games'.
    I'm now starting to be of the opinion that perhaps the whole thing should be dropped and perhaps once the dust settles a new debate can start that will actually do some good.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.