1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

The TeamSpeak Sunset Shimmer

Discussion in 'Official News' started by Alteran, 21 September 2016.

1. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

Hello, esteemed forumites!

For most of you, this probably won't affect you that much, but for a small number, this probably will.

We've had our TeamSpeak server for a good few years now and it's lived through some fun times. We envisioned it as place to do a bit of everything. It's kind of been doing its own thing since it started: as a chill-out zone, Roleplay zone and PC gaming channel for people playing Minecraft, Call of Duty and the likes. We even had moments with "Cards Against Humanity" and "Eurovision Song Contest" parties.

Over the past few months, we've become concerned with the usage, or lack thereof, of our hosted TeamSpeak server. Numbers on there have been declining, and the trend line is a negative one, implying that interest in the service is on the decline.

[​IMG]

TeamSpeak costs us time, resources and pony-power to run and maintain. With people now well-established on other services like Discord (it's really cool, if you haven't tried it yet), there seems little point in continuing to invest in a service that isn't providing us much benefit.

Therefore, we've made the decision to sunset the service. The last expected day of service for our TeamSpeak server will be the 2nd of October, a Sunday, giving people about two weeks to get settled in with an alternative. In case anyone misses the announcement on here, we'll be making changes to channels on the TS server to make this clearer.

We'll be doing what we can to help anyone feeling "stranded" by this impending change to migrate, if they are indeed prepared to consider Discord as a viable alternative. If anyone feels they need them, we'd be prepared to help with the following:
    • Offering purpose-named voice or text channels, where reasonable.
    • Setting up specific user groups to allow for groups to be un-disturbed if they wish.
    • Offering channel user limits to reduce cross-talk, or bit-rate changes to aid users with mobile or limited bandwidth connections.
    Also, anticipating that anyone asks this question: Any "TS moderation" tagged staff will be migrated to become Forum moderation staff. We won't be losing or getting rid of them.

If you have any comments or feedback, whether it be suggestions, feelings, or even just memories of your times on the TeamSpeak over the years, we'd love to hear it.

Also, I definitely envision some kind of party on the 2nd of October, the day we will be pulling the plug.

2. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

I want to personally thank everyone who has even considered the thought of using our TeamSpeak servers. I started using the service about two and a half years ago and it was only a few months later that I was approached by Silvarrn to become an official moderator. It was a little overwhelming at first (staff members past and present can vouch that I wasn't the easiest to teach about my duties and how to go about them, and I'll be apologising 'til the end of time if I have to) but over time, it became second nature to me and I'm forever thankful that I was even considered for a responsibility that big.

Those of you who still use the servers will certainly know I've become incredibly dormant over the past several months and it's honestly for the reasons Alteran has listed above. The fact that the servers had just become mostly uninhabited became a reason why I wouldn't log in very much. But during the more active times, I want to apologise if I ever came across as strict. While what we do on UKofE is strictly voluntary, we also have a duty to make sure what we're doing is as friendly and open as possible. That may be seen as childish or standard PR talk, but remember why we're members of this forum in the first place: Because we all love a kid's show starring magical talking horses.

But thanks also for the fun, before and after the watershed. Be it Eurovision parties, playing games online and especially those of you who joined in the "Re-living The Journey" meetups where we'd all watch an episode of Friendship Is Magic and rifftrax the heck out of it. It really felt awesome and I could go back in time and redo it, you bet I would. I hope you can all make it to our Pulling The Plug Party.

Urioxis, Alteran and Max Apogee like this.
  3. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

tis a sad day, but a lot of us have moved on to other things in our lives I guess. Will admit that I've been just doing life offline since I've been with Denz. The both of us were regular TS users, but used it less and less over the last few months. Plus our current setup in the room made it very difficult for me to join in voice chat =x but times are a changing. and most of us are doing other things now.
    maybe we can pick it all up again on discord sometime

[​IMG]

anyway shout out to the UKofE TS group that made TS fun

@Amysquee @Denz Xavier @bradofwales @Zos @Nekky @SXRXE @8_Bit @MattCubed @MontyM @GeodesicDragon @Tibbs

8_Bit, MontyM, SXRXE and 4 others like this.
  4. Sweet Tale

Sweet Tale Honorary Pony

Teamspeak was where I first found the courage to meet new people, join in with groups and from one little spark there with a certain someone, it's led me down a path that's led to a future marriage.

It must have been about three and a bit years ago when I first used TS. It was a smaller crowd when I first joined Magpie's Nest and met probably the craziest bunch of people I'll ever know. I'll never forget a certain someone for their Eurovision reactions!

Teamspeak will be missed but never forgotten. I'll be around on the last day to show my face one last time, it'll bring back some great memories.

Thanks for everything Teamspeak crowd <3

Rare80, Magpie, Urioxis and 4 others like this.
  5. Sunsetstreamer

Sunsetstreamer Honorary Pony

The server will certainly be missed. Many memories have been had on there and I met some great people through it. In fact I probably wouldn't have ended up staying around here if it wasn't for the TS server back in the days of Magpie's nest. After some times I was even able to meet some of the teamspeak group. Still a few people who I still owe a meet up with. (@Alteran if I'm ever in London again I'll give a shout).

People came and went. Eventually I was one of those who started drifting from the server. As much as I don't use it nowadays, I will still miss it and, at least, most people have moved over to Discord so voice comms can and do still happen. ^^

@Sweet Tale I remember that certain someone's Eurovision reactions. Good times. ;)

Magpie and Sweet Tale like this.
  6. GeodesicDragon

GeodesicDragon Prince Brublood

If it wasn't for TeamSpeak, I wouldn't know half the people I do now.

It was fun, and it will be missed, but I honestly prefer Discord as well.

ant010203 likes this.
  7. Zos

Zos A very broken pony

to be fair ts has been getting used less and less since about April/may
    it shall be missed by those of us you have used it over the last few years

8. MontyM

MontyM Well-Known Pony

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.
    I will shuffle along now.

Alteran likes this.
  9. SXRXE

SXRXE Active Pony

I've made more brony friends than I ever expected thanks to the TS server.
    It will be sad to see it go, but it has been rather empty as of late.

10. ant010203

ant010203 I earned this, Its mine!

I hardly come on this site anymore, nor the teamspeak. But damn it's been years. Just a big thanks to everyone who made it something, be it listening to @Reverb Skyriff late night rambles, @Zos and his strange allure to Land Rovers or @8_Bit pressuring everyone to tune into the latest "ThunderBits" episode. I can say hand on heart it was truly something to be there to experience.

SXRXE, Zos and 8_Bit like this.
  11. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

You made Sunny cry, you monster. :p

Though I only ever went on the TS a couple of times, I've always appreciated the extra dimension that it added to the "MLP: Reliving the Journey" viewings, particularly its first iteration during the S4-S5 hiatus.

Thorn likes this.
  12. Amysquee

Amysquee Squee Incarnate

Oh boy this was a long time post i hoped to never make, id hope the fandom would mostly die out or we all moved on before laying rest to the old Teamspeak server... Where to start. maybe A TLDR version: Thanks everyone and I loved this opportunity to meet you

2013 was my first official year on the service, got to thank a certain bird brain for that (@Magpie ), over that time till now i met basically the best friends I could ever have hoped for, from Mods, Admins, users, ex users who have moved on, old mods, the odd random and myself being the most random. We played games for hours, laughed,sang, did video calls, watched and heard people fall asleep, the odd meet up call or buck call, the laughs and memory will stay in this young heart.

What did Teamspeak mean to me? It was home, a place i felt comfortable, safe, happy and crazy. I knew after school, college and now adult life i could show up and find someone to mess around with, after BUCK 2013 I became a part of the staff team as a TS MOD and i held that with a lot of pride (and teenage ego), so... in no order and as i go cry reading the quotes thread.
    THANK YOU
    @Alteran boss man and guard
    @Silvarrn Voice of all perks
    @FireSparkle Voice of reason and help
    @Fireseeker A co commentator
    @Sweet Tale ON THE TRAIN TO VICCYTORIA TO DAWLISH
    @Java Coffee cub Gaben
    @Babbage DENMARRRK!
    @Eiro The sister I never had
    @Kino_Hamanka Another co commentator and artist
    @flutterfan Flutterbutter
    @Magpie The nest is still on fire, i hid it at the bottom
    @Kao A true floofy
    @Reverb Skyriff The poofy one
    @8_Bit Donk a donk
    @Zos Iron bru
    @GeodesicDragon Secretly welsh
    @SXRXE Super tuper duper amaze
    @MontyM The one who always was there waiting
    Gale griffffffin
    @Sunsetstreamer The photographer
    @bradofwales ORKS
    @Nekky BROKEN
    @Thorn Big brother Edward?
    @Amy Bird the real Amy
    @Bunny the one who threw a pillow at Katu
    @Centurion a pleasure to meet you on there and all the fun, i owe you a drink again sometime
    @blissfully✮oblivious a fun individual with a great mind
    @CyberneticPony A good old regular and avid gamer
    @Living Nightmare Finny fun
    @nethesem The one who shared Buck details with us (after they got announced)
    @Rare80 A pun it took me too long to get
    @Ripp_ no underscore btw
    @Rocket A good friend who helped with Alton towers
    @Simon Lauer A good pigeon
    @Stormblaze Musician and artist
    @Denz Xavier VOTE FOR HIM
    @Vanguard A Wonderful personality, get back in touch matey
    @Woonalover A story teller
    @XioJade Plymouth was great
    @KhaosSparkz its in the name
    @BurgerMan for a wonderful treat and laugh
    And to anyone I missed at 1am

13. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

ahhh Amu has pretty much listed everyone on there as the part of the UKofE herd that I found a place with =c lots of familiar names that we lost from TS over the years too.

14. Reverb Skyriff

Reverb Skyriff Grumpy Pone!

<3 <3 <3

ant010203 likes this.
  15. Amysquee

Amysquee Squee Incarnate

there were so many more i just cant get them all

16. Vianessa

Vianessa Something terrible’s happened, no idea what it is

I'm not suggesting anything, nope, not at all.

[​IMG]

17. Magpie

Magpie Burd, Wielder of the West Country Logic

Well considering this service has quite a bit of history behind it with myself I thought I'd come pay my respects.

TeamSpeak gave me my first real shove towards breaking out of being completely reclusive following the end of my secondary education, back then I wouldn't speak to people and spend most of my time either working or locked away in my comfort zones. I can't remember too much on why I started using the service but i believe it was the desire to challenge myself and venture out of my comfort zone by getting to know people not just as pixels on a forum but as active personalities that I could get to know better. I still find it surprising looking back that I changed enough to actively travel to unknown meets, conventions and then ultimately move from the West Country to London on the whim of one such friendship.

Originally things were quite quiet and TS life was mostly just a group of us sharing stories while playing on Minecraft, as more people started taking part in these sessions I was offered my own personal channel (Magpie's Nest) which then developed a bit of a personality for being a hub where people could just drop by no matter their convictions and enjoy a bit of silliness. I loved it, it was brilliant to see so many people getting together and still being able to mesh and have a good time. It was rare to have a night come by where people were not actively laughing at the confusion we left in our wake of our collective forum posts, chanting #Banpie as I got thrown around the other channels, or just chilling out in a Google Hangout watching some of the weirdest content I have seen to date.

Anyway in general I want to wish a big thanks to all those who are a part of those memories, I might not see eye to eye or speak on a regular basis with the majority of you now but I will always treasure the time we spent together. :)

#17 Magpie, 22 September 2016
    Last edited: 23 September 2016
    Java, Urioxis, Rare80 and 3 others like this.
  18. CyberneticPony

CyberneticPony Ab alio expectes alteri quod feceris.

Honestly, it was great while it lasted, and since Discord is an option am not too upset. Will miss typing "ts.ukofequestria.co.uk" into the connect line though!

19. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

Most people don't seem to bother setting DNS records, but as you have just demonstrated, doing so has a clear benefit in helping people to re-discover the service.

20. Bellzor

Bellzor 1% Tea, 99% Hot gas.

Shame, but I guess it had a good run.