1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Loganberry, 26 December 2014.

1. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well the wind seems to be starting to pick up around here now. I wonder what this predicted storm tomorrow will turn out like...

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

The wind was pretty bad here last night for taking down branches. It poured down all of yesterday and today (you know, while I had to be outside...).

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Latest weather warnings:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

Where I am (North Worcs) I'm in the amber area, so gusts of 60-70mph are possible. That's a lot for inland, though wouldn't be so surprising on exposed coasts. I'm expecting a pretty unpleasant day, certainly worse than anything else this week. I could do without any tree falls, so hopefully we'll get away without those.

4. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Looks like I'm just about in the yellow, though near the amber border. Hope all goes well for everyone, I do tend to worry about these things...

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

Right in the biggest part of the yellow, yay...

6. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Wow, looks like I'm in the one clear spot stuck right between two huge yellow warnings. I'll wait and see what it's like tomorrow though, since I'll have to judge whether it is safe to drive out or not.

7. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

'Storm Doris' sounds rather quaint, though I'm sure she'll be anything but. Maybe I won't go out tomorrow after all :eek:

Robshi likes this.
  8. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

It is odd how they give them such flattering names isn't it? It's hard to take them seriously sometimes with names like Doris. :p

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  9. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well, the amber zone has now been moved further south so it covers my location now.

At the moment it just seems pretty windy, and very changeable (pouring with rain a few minutes ago, now sunshine), but I gather the worst will hit here later.

10. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Eagerly awaiting Stormy McStormface ...

For now it's just cold, wet and miserable.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  11. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

50+ mph winds here :eek:

12. Loganberry

Here in Worcestershireland, it's blowing a gale -- literally, as we're getting gusts around 50mph, which is Force 9. :eek: (Though continuous wind is probably F6 or F7.) Not actually raining much, which is something, but the wind is very strong for a usually sheltered area.

13. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

If my shed roof still has felt on it when I get home then I'm going to call it a win ... the winds are supposed to peak early afternoon here, but for now it is relatively calm. I'm just happy that the wind will change to a more northerly this evening, meaning that I stand a chance of getting a decent night's sleep - since my bedroom faces west, windy nights tend to be not-fun if there's a strong westerly.

Anyway, storm-wise, we're only up to D at the moment - if memory serves we'd progressed significantly further through the alphabet by this time last year (Storm Imogen on Feb 7th/8th if you believe That Wiki)

(plus, I lived on the edge of Wales for nearly 10 years and Atlantic depressions were ten-a-bit - we're just getting Ireland's leftovers :p )

14. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Windows are starting to rattle somewhat, I've not witnessed any damage so far.

Despite the wind, it's been surprisingly sunny for most of the morning.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

Barely slept for the wind and rain battering the house. Woken again by a flash and loud buzzing from up the street as the power went out, it went on and off a couple of times after that. Pouring still, freezing, but the winds aren't taking trees down like they have so many times before.

16. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

We seem to have got away fairly lightly in my neck of the woods. It chucked it down first thing with heavy showers blowing through during the morning but the winds weren't that strong until the afternoon. The Pegasusususes kicked things off about 2pm and it was pretty gusty for a couple of hours but I don't think it was as bad as predicted. The roof's still on anyway...:)

17. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Glad it's all died down now, some of the gusts got a bit scary at around 2 or 3, I think some were 60 mph, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. A few broken fences here and there seem to be the worst of the damages around here. It seems that transport has been the worst thing affected but thankfully I worked from home today!

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  18. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Recognised Pony

Thunderstorm yesterday.

19. Loganberry

Hurricane Irma has really been on my mind over the last week or so. I don't personally know anyone in the storm's path, but it's been horrific seeing the pictures from places like Barbuda showing what a truly vicious tropical cyclone can do. And now it's headed for the Florida Keys, and quite a few people have apparently simply refused to evacuate. The best hurricane preparedness in the Americas is Cuba's by some distance, but that's a country where the authorities can literally drag you to a shelter; US law doesn't allow that.

What gets me is that some of the people who are staying seem to think they'll be okay because the winds are a bit weaker than they were over Barbuda etc. The wind isn't what kills most people in hurricanes! It's the flooding, either from rain as we saw in Texas the other week, mudslides in some parts of the world, or (in this case) the approaching storm surge. You can't hide in your cellar from a flood (not that they even have cellars there), The Keys don't have any natural high ground to get to, and all bridges out to the mainland have been too dangerous to use for hours now.

I'm terrified what the final toll is going to be from this storm. There's surely no way it's just going to be a smallish number like we've seen on the islands so far. :(

20. Kitutal

Kitutal New Pony

What was up with that weather yesterday, anyone else get a sudden five minute downpour out of a mostly clear, sunny sky?