1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends/The Railway Series

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Leon K Fox, 18 March 2012.

1. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

I understand this is a show aimed at children, but this is on a forum for a My Little Pony Show so I'm not concerned about being judged :p

Talking to Little Emerald about the show at yesterday's Exeter Brony Meetup really got me thinking about it again :) (Not that I lost interest again, mind you)

I actually have somewhat of an interest in railways because of this show actually, I'm not an enthusasit, but you get my point. In. Its hayday it was a great introduction to older steam based railways and could actually teach kids a fair bit about them. Sadly this hasn't really been true of the show since 2004, where Awdry's love of railway realism was chucked out of the window and never found again.

I do know this was based from "The Railway Series" but as of yet I have not had a chance to read these books sadly

Anyways, I am a really big fan of the classic series' of this show, 1-4, I did enjoy 6 and 7 but 1-4 were the cream on the cake for me, back when Britt Allcroft was still the one in charge of the show, and Awdry was still alive and could have a say in where she was taking it. Series 5 was okay, but had way too many crashes for my liking, some of which were just plain ridiuclous, but only people who are really into the series will even begin to care about the rest of that so I'll stop there =P

I've hated the show since it was taken over by HiT Entertainment, I don't mean to be a Nostalgia fanboy here, but to me everything beyond Series 8 should just be considered a new show, as if they didn't have the shells of the characters I would think it was. Thomas has gone from being cheeky, but having his heart in the right place to become a full on goody two shoes, and it goes on.

Still, rediscovering the classic episodes back in 2006 after losing interest for several years was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

That's just my opinion though. So, anyone else here fans of this show, the book series it came from or both?

2. bobby.p

bobby.p #StayBased #MostWanted

Mr.Conductor was awesome, was the show narrated by Alec Baldwin at some point or was that just in the US?

3. LoomX

LoomX Honorary Pony

I used to love Thomas as a kid. I had a few of the die-cast trains and also the miniature playsets that connected together like the old Micro Machine sets.

This episode is probably the one I remember most:

I don't like the modern CGI series as it seems to lose some of the charm of the original. I don't like the modern theme tune either. Give me the original any day.

I think that was the US version. He was also in the movie, Thomas and the Magic Railroad, which I haven't seen but I've watched a review by the Nostalgia Critic and it doesn't look great (too much real life humans etc.)

4. Kim

Kim Collargogglebirdhorse

That was just the US version. The UK had Ringo Starr and Michael Angelis.

I think the Henry saga was the most memorable part of any of the episodes. Definitely the one I've remembered the best!

5. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

I used to have a crush Gordon when I was a kid. That is all.

6. Kim

Kim Collargogglebirdhorse

[​IMG]

7. Skittys

Skittys Permanently Banned

...wat

8. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

Well it's all to do with characters isn't it - their attitude and personality. It wasn't an 'adult' type of crush, if you know what I mean, it was more like Spike's puppy love crush on Rarity. Iwas about 5. But if anypony has a crush on one of our beloved ponies and they are a lot older than 5, that's fine too. I understand. It's a character thing, not a deviation thing,

I feel I am digging a hole of controversy here. I will shut up now.

/derail.

9. Little Emerald

Little Emerald Currently addicted to: Monster Hunter

Nothing against your love for Gordon, Lezli.

Other than that, I pretty much gave my two cents of Thomas at the meetup, Leon. And for everyone else, here it is again.

Thomas the Tank Engine was a HUGE part of my childhood. In fact, most pictures of me as a kid have an engine in my hand. My parents recorded the entire first two seasons on a VHS each, and my free time was spent either watching said videos or playing with the toys. I collected ALL the toys, and still own the limited edition gold Thomas (still in it's box).

My heart sticks with the episodes that stuck to the Railway Series, especially those narrated by Ringo Starr. I'm not sure which engine is my favorite, but most of the time it's either Henry, Duck or Oliver. I gotta say my favorite episode is "The Flying Kipper" for the amazing scenery and theme tune.

And when I saw the CGI episodes for the first time, I was genuinely scared. My exact words were "did Toby's face just... MOVE?" followed by my scared face for a few minutes.

Leon K Fox and Dax like this.
  10. Leon K Fox

For anyone else who hates HiT Entertainment and/or the CGI by Nitrogen Studios then I have just the video for you. ^^

That person also reviewed all of the Season 16 episodes and nitpicked them all into oblivion =P My favourite one was this.

11. Hironolind

Hironolind is arguing with a lorry.

Ow.. my ears.

12. Leon K Fox

Yeah, he is a tad loud, but turn the volume down and he's hilarious, and what he's saying is oh so true =P

13. rotation

rotation Slower than Fernando

Oh my childhood. It's been so long.

14. Leon K Fox

I have just heard two beautiful remixes of two Season 1 tracks, they're fan made and yet they're better than any actual pieces of music composed for the show since 2004, I mean yes they are remixes but they have VERY MUCH been given their own flavour here. I downloaded them almost immediately and have been listening to them a lot.

15. Little Emerald

Little Emerald Currently addicted to: Monster Hunter

Oh yeah, I remember finding their James remix and listening to the rest from there. Oh the nostalgia...

16. HappyGoLuckyPone

HappyGoLuckyPone Shocked and appalled!

I LOVE THOMAS! the original that is and the first couple of seaons of the TV show.

I was practically raised on the Original RAILWAY SERIES Books written by the reverand and later his son.
    The original stories where very clever and the railway adheared to true british railway practices, the TV show was fantastic, Im a big model railway buff and I believe it was the fantastic model sets of the original show that are partially to blame for this.
    And Ringo was the narrarator of my childhood, whenever I think Thomas I think Ringo Star!

I hate what its become though, the stories are crap, these days every other episode is based around an accident because whoever produces it is as creative as a vending machine! charactors are created, used once then drop off the face of the earth (for toy marketing purposes obviously, they clearly serve no other purpose) and now instead of being filmed in Britian using models its created in Canada using digital animation (and **** animation at that)
    and whats with all the bloody American locos turning up all of a sudden, I dont even watch it anymore but whenever I catch a glimpse of it on telly or in a toy shop it seems to be populated with American locomotives, the island of sodor is off the West coast of Britain for goodness sakes! Non of those charactors should be there, Awdry must be rolling in his grave, he hated the episode Henrys Forest because in his own words a railway wouldnt be built through a forest liek that because its a fire hazard and therefore broke standard railway protocol how do you think hed feel about this!
    BUCK YOU HIT OR WHOEVER THE HELL IT IS RAPING MY CHILDHOOD WITH A RUSTY FORK!

; out of breath: I feel beter now...

Oh my beloved childhood it lays broken and smashed before me!

17. HappyGoLuckyPone

Im going to tell why you like those season, those seasons where all based (very faithfully) off the original railway series books and Britt Allcroft was prevented from tinkering with them by Awdry, Awdry actually really hated her, he didnt get much money from the royalties of the show while she made loads and as soon as he died and there was nobody to stop her from just doing what she wanted the show just went to ****!

Also if you watch the title/credits of the original couple of seaons itll say ADAPTED TO TELLEVISION BY BRITT ALLCROFT, BASED OFF THE RAILWAY SERIES BY REVERAND AWDRY

go forward a couple of seaons and it instead reads CREATED BY BRITT ALLCROFT

That b***h!

18. Leon K Fox

I've been doing some research on that upcoming theatrical film that's said to be set during World War II, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in it o.o I'm just hoping that it won't share the same writing style of the show the way it is now.

This video provides quite a lot of information on it, and also helped boost my interest in it.

HappyGoLuckyPone likes this.
  19. HappyGoLuckyPone

I loved 9, (awesome soundtrack!) I am deffo looking forward to the new Thomas if we can expect the same kind of style and substance as 9!

also seeing Thomas portrayed as the same loco class on the poster that he was originally based off in the Books (an E2, non survived the great steam culls sadly) gives me hope for the future of Thomas!

20. danspy1994

danspy1994 Sparta Pony

Why does that teaser poster look so awesome?