1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends/The Railway Series

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Leon K Fox, 18 March 2012.

1. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

I can't say that I've seen 9, but after watching that video I have become rather curious to watch it, to see his previous works.

And while the idea of him being based on the actual E2 in theory does sound awesome, but the Hornby model was as well and bar for the face that model looks awful in my opinion, I hope a full professionally done CGI representation looks better.

It does, doesn't it? :D It's got a dark, eery sort of feel to it, and people are speculating that those holes in Thomas' side could quite POSSIBLY be bullet holes, if they are it makes me curious to see the direction this film is going in!

2. Little Emerald

Little Emerald Currently addicted to: Monster Hunter

Wat.

It sounds like this is going to become a disaster, like most Transformers fans thought of the Michael Bay movies. But you can ignore me, I'm just biased to the original series.

3. Leon K Fox

As far as I can tell, Shane Acker hasn't made a "Bay esque" film to date and I've heard good things about 9, so I wouldn't say it's going to be a disaster just yet, I think it has potential.

4. Kim

Kim Collargogglebirdhorse

My god...

I'm totally waiting on the gritty reboot of My Little Pony. Coming summer 2032.

5. Leon K Fox

I don't think it's going to be "gritty" just a tad darker than what one might expect from the show, I mean, it may be set during World War II but I VERY MUCH doubt we're going to have any on screen deaths for example, or the death of a major character period.

6. Kim

Kim Collargogglebirdhorse

One can dream! (I do love gritty reboots.)

7. Leon K Fox

Well, it could be interesting in moderation, but too much of it and it would ruin the film for me. I'm hoping the film finds the right balance.

8. Leon K Fox

Well, despite being a fan of Thomas for practically my entire life, I've never owned or even a read a Railway Series book. Well, that's just about to change.

Over the course of yesterday and today I've gone on eBay and ordered a bunch of the books. I'm going to build up my colleftion slowly as the series does have rather a lot of books, what I've ordered thus far is as follows.

The Three Railway Engines
    Thomas the Tank Engine (no surprise that this ended up being the most expensive book of the bunch, someone else had their eyes on it, a last 10 second bid of £15 was required!)
    Henry the Green Engine
    Toby the Tram Engine
    James the Red Engine
    The Twin Engines
    Thomas Comes Home

Well, it's a start at least! ^^

9. HappyGoLuckyPone

HappyGoLuckyPone Shocked and appalled!

You might want to consider the Original Railway Collection, its a large book containing all the original railway stories, pretty cheap the last time I looked.

10. Leon K Fox

When you say all the "original" Railway Stories, I take it this means Christropher Awdry's books are excempt? I know some sets, compliations etc only include Rev W. Awdry's books.

11. HappyGoLuckyPone

Theres 2 book sets available, the Rev W Awdrys collection of stories and his sons collection of stories, the Rev W story collection is easy enought o find but his sons is a little rarer.

Iv got both sets.

12. Leon K Fox

Nice :) Well, I think I'll try and buy as many of the books individually as I can, not picky about them being first editions, just so long as the covers look like them, rather than ones re-released and branded as "Thomas and Friends" products etc.

13. Pwnyswag29

Pwnyswag29 King of Swing

I used to love Thomas as a child, and i think i'd like a film that has the same feel as 9. I really liked the feel and setting of that film.

14. Leon K Fox

Well, because I got bored I decided to try and watch a full episode from a CGI series a little while back (Season 15, Wonky Whistle) before I judged it entirely, and ooh boy, it wasn't as bad as I expected...it was worse.

This episode pretty much summarises everything wrong with HiT's treatment of Thomas/The Railway Series. The animation is the only thing that isn't utterly abysmal in this, even Angelis' narration has gone way downhill since Season 8 and the individual characters now have second rate voice actors who are worse than even Alec Baldwin as a narrator. Thomas' voice irritates me something awful, for example.

The lack of realism and complete and utter STUPIDITY of Thomas' character in this are absolutely mind boggling, Thomas was pretty much breaking the law by going out without a whistle, and not one SINGLE crewmen tried to/had the power to stop him?!

15. rotation

rotation Slower than Fernando

Is it as bad as the Fireman Sam remake?

16. Leon K Fox

I'm afraid I can't really comment on that one, because A) I have yet to see the Fireman Sam remake. B) Even if it were, I don't have the same level of emotional attachment to Fireman Sam as I do classic Thomas. I do have SOME nostalgia for it of course, but not nearly to the same extent so a modernised/butchered remake wouldn't annoy me as much.

17. LoomX

LoomX Honorary Pony

The first 10 seconds of that episode was enough for me. Michael Angelis just sounds so patronising. I don't remember the old ones sounding so bad.

18. Leon K Fox

In my personal opinion Micheal Angelis was the show's best narrator in his hayday (Series 3 to 7) his work in those seasons is often overshadowed by Ringo Starr, and while I love Ringo's narration he didn't seem quite as energetic in his two seasons as Michael did in those 5 Seasons.

Sadly since Season 8 Michael has sounded so BORED when he tells the stories, which doesn't do the bad stories any favours at all.

19. Leon K Fox

Been a while since this thread was posted in, so I decided to bring some life back into it. ^^

I've started collecting The Railway Series books, they're all different reprints from various years but as far as I can remember none of them are First Editions sadly, they'd have probably been a lot more expensive if they had been, especially in decent condition since they're from the 1940's, 50's etc.

It's nice to have finally broken the ice with regards to buying/reading Railway Series books, especially since they're the basis for my favouite seasons of the show. (1-4)

Though, if you look at the back of my copy of "The Three Railway Engines" they who must not be named have tainted it with their logo D: (It's a reprint from 2011, making it the newest one in my collection, so to speak)

Attached Files:

20. HappyGoLuckyPone

I noticed in Toys R Us yesterday that they are still playing the ORIGINAL Thomas theme in their thomas aisle

Little Emerald likes this.