1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Time for Bigger Aviators and Signature sizes?

Discussion in 'Community Suggestions' started by Wonderbolt, 20 October 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

If I am honest I find the size restriction on Avatars and Signatures on the site kind of small, meaning it can be hard to make a really awesome looking Avatar or signature.

It would be so much easier if the site was a bit more liberal in terms of size allowance.
    In the case of avatars being allowed no more than 50kb means you really have to shrink down your image and lose a lot of resolution, (you used to be able to crop avatars but that feature doesn't seem to work).

Whilst in the case of signatures you can't really add amazing ones simply because you don't have much hight and width to work with (like you often see on other forums) which is a little sad considering the creative nature of the fandom.

Now I know the common defence is no one likes big poorly made obnoxious signatures or the fact that bigger avatars and signatures take up more server space, but the pitifully tiny limits we have at the moment really restrict members chances to be creative.

2. Kohler

Kohler Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I would definitely love some bigger sunglasses.

I think the avatar limit is something that could do with some redefinition however I find that when signatures got over the prescribed limit (when such a thing was possible) you'd often get posts that took up less space than half of the sig. They were often of a fairly ridiculous size so I would not support any expansion in their size.

CrikeyoRilley likes this.
  3. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

You can bypass the filesize limit by uploading it to gravatar.
    As for signatures oversized ones were becoming a problem before the maximum height was automatically enforced.

4. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

There's some saying about how restrictions breed creativity. Do you know how much I learnt about GIF compression thanks to the size limit? It's defined my life for the better, I'd have to say.

5. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Well I agree restrictions breed creativity, but GIF compressing is one thing but I would rather have a perfect GIF rather than a compromise .

6. Cuttleshock

Yeahhh... I guess I was being a little facetious.

As long as pixel size of signatures remains restricted, I do agree that it'd be neat if the file size limit could be raised; I assumed that they primary reason was either something to do with the servers or to be fair on people with slower connections, which seems fair enough, though.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  7. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

That's exactly the reason. Not everybody can access the site from high speed, stable internet connections, a lot of people access the site from public wifi or use 3G. Increased signature size will slow down loading of pages and will make life incredibly difficult for people accessing the site from less than ideal internet connections.

8. Ripp_

Ripp_ Now in Smoky Bacon flavour.

There used to a be a user who, no joke, had several MB of data for a sig
    This made each page's load time skyrocket and was a costly detriment to mobile users. Overmore sigs are not meant to be distracting which gifs normally are

9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Could sigs not be disabled on the mobile version of the site and on the desktop version users be able to disable them if they wish?
    Another thing I have noticed is that on this forum images in a signature must be from an external source photobucket etc)whereas other forums allow you to directly load an image from your computer onto the signature itself (so the signature image is stored on the same server as the forum).

10. Kohler

Kohler Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I like the idea of being able to turn off sigs. I may be biased, not having one myself, but as much as they add individuality to one's posts they are also rather space consuming. And internet, as said.

11. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Although I have a reasonably fast connection, I personally think the restrictions we have now are actively good. Partly for the practical reasons that @Max Apogee mentions, but also because... well, put it this way: I can barely stand reading Round Stable's forums because of the massive number of huge images, distracting GIFs and so on everywhere making it hard to concentrate on people's actual posts. Sure we have the art threads etc, but UK of E is fundamentally a forum, not an image board, and I much prefer it that way.

Max Apogee likes this.
  12. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

There is an option for users to disable signatures if they want to, but to make people disable them entirely just so they're able to browse the site just because others want to have larger gifs in their signatures doesn't seem entirely fair. Whereas it is possible to reduce the size of a gif to fit in with the guidelines so you're still able to have the picture you want but at a file size that won't slow the site down to a crawl.

We do try to be as accommodating to as many people as we can here, and so far this is the best possibly solution we have.

13. Ripp_

1) Not easily and not accuatally enough.
    2) Image hosting is expensive, you will note the lack of ads on this site, the site is paid for out of the pockets of the admins and so it's not feasible to have everything

14. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Well I still think the current system is far to restrictive, granted with gifs they can up a lot of bandwidth and be detracting, but regular images? Allowing a little extra 50 or 100px more hight on signatures and allowing a few more Kbs for Avatars really goes a long way in allowing for a decent theme and member identity.

15. Ripp_

Many people these days have laptops, with limited monitor size, large signatures result in more scrolling to have to read the interesting site content. One forum I was on had no limit, result: page long signatures. massive amounts of extra scrolling.
    The limit given here is, I think, kind of lax. Notice how Max's signature is about 1/3rd the total of his last post's height and mine was 1/4th

16. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Okay: say you had an extra 50px to play with. What would you, personally, do with it? And more to the point, why would that give you a better member identity than the one you have right now?

Fundamentally my objection is that this is a discussion forum, and as such text needs to be the primary thing. The larger the sigs you allow, the more you dilute that. Of course you don't want a DOS-style look, but the clean, modern appearance the forum has now is IMO excellent.

17. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Let me give you an example of what I would consider a good amount of space to work with, these are some of my old signatures from another forum
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They aren't intrusive or distracting but they are big enough to get a decent sized image and username it.
    In terms of member identity it means I can effectively tell other members what my interests are which could strike up a conversation on the mutual interest.

18. Cuttleshock

I don't see, though, how those wouldn't be perfectly good, even reduced in size by 40% or so.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  19. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Wouldn't bigger aviators find it more difficult to fly?

But yeah current limits seem fine. I post on other forums that still have a 75x75px or 3kb limit, whichever is smaller..

MCtoastie likes this.
  20. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

For say a three line bit of text like this those signatures are massively, well massive. Maybe something a third in size would be good. I like to read a good opinion, not a repeated massive sig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.