1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Time to resurrect the Trans thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dax, 18 July 2013.

1. Omega Sprinkle

Omega Sprinkle The Adjectiveless

1. Not yet, but that's because the system has been really, really slow. I already feel so old (especially compared to some of you) so this really wrinkles my stockings. I want hormones/anti testosterone medication for the obvious reasons, body shapes, body hair density etc and I will say this now, never, ever, ever self medicate. You only get one body, don't screw it up taking a hacksaw to a job that requires a doctors touch.

2. This is my name badge....
    http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/inkpwn/20130803_232532_zpsc730a892.jpg
    I don't pass, I look like a chimp in drag but we have to remember, we are in the right. It's a given right to dress and act how we feel anyone that takes offense to this is small minded or ignorant. I get called sir all the time, I get kids asking me awful questions, I get drunk guys making terribly offensive comments but eveytime someone says 'Thank you, miss' or a parent tells their kid 'give the money to the lady' my heart soars. It's worth it, heck, today there were a few times where I wanted to break down and cry, leave the till and go do something else but I know that I can't, we can't, it's impossible to bottle up who you are and we should never let anyone tell us otherwise.

PlaidSlurpee and FireSparkle like this.
  2. Boring Ugly Pink Earth Pony

Boring Ugly Pink Earth Pony The Laughing Mare

You're reminding me of the times that I've had parents tell their kids "Go and give the key to that nice lady on reception". The thing is, I don't even look particularly feminine as far as I'm aware, so I can only guess that the long hair is somehow throwing them o_O

3. PlaidSlurpee

PlaidSlurpee Well-Known Pony

I'm very glad these forums have an active Trans community - It's pretty hard to find in places like these.
    I'm an FtM Transgender with the chosen name Derek (though my friends insist on calling me Dennis as it's closer to my legal name), but in all honesty I'm still questioning about going through with the whole transition/medical thing. Right now I'm practically gender-fluid.
    I'v known since I was a kid I was a little different, but then again it might of just been gender stereotypes which made me feel that way. I'v been cross dressing for a while now, and have become more confident in passing as a male as a lot of people have been calling me "Sir" or "him" in public, it makes me very happy to be seen/treated as male. I do know a few trans people and I have massive respect for the community in general, it takes a lot of commitment and determination to go through with things like this.

A friend took this photo of me yesterday, so I apologize for the use of editing.

[​IMG]

Cavatina, Dax, Dylia and 1 other person like this.
  4. pepperpunk

pepperpunk Brush, brush, brush, darling!

Just to throw in a non-trans perspective, it's always been extremely easy for me to "get".. I simply see it as "female brain, male body", or vice versa.

It's basically on the same level as skin colour as far as the genetics of it is concerned. Also, a lot of the posts in this thread sound like they were written in a female tone. It might sound odd, but I've been online long enough to determine gender from posting style fairly accurately even in the absence of obvious clues (e.g. avatar), and the thought came to mind as I was reading through.

It can't just be this thread either since I'd already assumed Firesparkle was female just from reading other forum posts of hers.

#84 pepperpunk, 5 August 2013
    Last edited: 5 August 2013
  5. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

This is exactly what my friend Erin went through, and those occurrences are becoming more common for her now, but it took a good year or so for that. She is in her 50s now and is starting to feel brave enough to have her own hair in stead of wigs and wear lover cut tops (she was self conscious of her adam's apple) and when she has been out shopping and had comments like that it really has made her day and given her more confidence.

6. Wisdom Pen

Wisdom Pen Residential Philosopher and Wizard of Lincoln

Thats actually quite fascinating could you give any clues on how you do that?

7. FireSparkle

FireSparkle A Deer Friend

What about my posts gives you that impression? :)

Cavatina likes this.
  8. Cavatina

Cavatina Made with 101% snuggles!

Well I'd assume that it's like me, you type very femininey :3

FireSparkle likes this.
  9. pepperpunk

pepperpunk Brush, brush, brush, darling!

It's a tough question since I honestly have no idea how I end up forming that opinion, it's just something I end up doing automatically/ subconsciously whenever I'm on any forum, without really thinking about it.
    I guess I've just gotten good at reading between the lines after spending 12 years or so on various forums/ chat.

There's definitely a difference, if I had to pin it down I'd say it's usually that female posts are more expressive. Most of my IRL friends are female so that might be another reason why I pick up on it.

10. Omega Sprinkle

You have no idea how much these suggestions have infuriated me. *steps back from forum before she goes on rant about neural malleability and stereotypes*

11. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

Please, do elaborate. Not a stereotype in there, unless you're referring to 'more expressive'.

12. servirare

servirare hmmmmm

In defence of pepperpunk, it appears that completely automatic methods can determine the gender (or more precisely the gender that the author identifies as) with about 80% accuracy:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.122.3243&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Those results are from 2002 and so I would expect that automated techniques have improved since then.

It doesn't mean that you can guarantee to make a correct determination or that a sufficiently skilled author could appear however they want. However it does mean that on average there are measurable differences in writing styles.

The measurable things appear to be (among others) the frequency of use of various words and types of word.

#92 servirare, 7 August 2013
    Last edited: 7 August 2013
    FireSparkle likes this.
  13. Omega Sprinkle

Not in his statement, in the way people judge others via them and well... *scunches forhead*, no this is a happy place. Please, bombard me with over simplifications of the human condition and experiments without peer review. I will be over hear, doing *ummm* something. Oh and before anyone says 'but I didn't...'/'we weren't...' I'm preparing for the most likely outcome.

14. servirare

servirare hmmmmm

Not sure if you referring to my post there, but I chose the citeseer link so you can get at the paper without paying the exorbitant fee of $25 for 1 day of access. It was publish peer reviewed here:

http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/4/401.short

15. Omega Sprinkle

Did you just choose to ignore the last sentence there? Thought I made my intentions pretty obvious.

16. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

There's something I would like to warn the MtF ladies about.

The world is not an equal place. This is a sad thing, but it is true whether you like it or not.

I am born female and you will not always earn as much as a man for doing the same job, you will vulnerable to comments from men and woman about how you look, peer pressure from the media about what a woman is 'supposed' to look like and discriminated against because you are female. This is nothing to do with the fact you were once male, this is what the majority of woman have face these days regardless of which sex organs they started out with. I would hope that any counselling you have will warn you that once you reach your goal, however far that transition goes, you are going to be faced with a whole new set of problems that women have to deal with. Those of you going through this are gonna get down sometimes, and possibly really depressed - hormones are going to make that worse.

Part of me wants to change the world so this isn't a reality, part of me says you have to suck it up and deal with it like everyone else.

17. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

Ah, fair dos, my bad.

Raspberry Mage likes this.
  18. Omega Sprinkle

Blowing your nose with without wiping off your foundation is on of those struggles. A little one, but a struggle none the less.

19. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

ooh interesting! a modern example of this is [HERE] which guessed me correctly :3

20. Cavatina

Cavatina Made with 101% snuggles!

I actually had the opposite for once. Well, at least on the gender dysphoria level.

Everything else today has been pretty much a complete disappointment, and the rest of the summer is guaranteed to be now :(

Sorry to hear you had a bad day hun