1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Time to resurrect the Trans thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dax, 18 July 2013.

1. Ialyrn Aeloria

Ialyrn Aeloria The Unknown Entity

If that is the case Thunder, then you need to go and see your GP; as they can refer you to a GIC (gender identity clinic). I would highly advise you speak with someone before you do transition though, it is a big step (very big); and not something to be undertaken lightly. You are right between London and Nottingham, I would try to steer your Doctor to refer you to Nottingham GIC.

Your Doctor can refer you directly, you do not need to see a psychologist at the local mental health teams for referral. Referral to the GIC is no longer done that way, as it was causing unnecessarily long delays. It is very important you stress the importance of a direct referral to a GIC. A normal psychologist is not trained to deal specifically with gender identity and gender dysphoria, the psychologists and Doctors at a GIC are.

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  2. Thunder Splitter

Thunder Splitter Element of Cheese

Thanks, I'll definitely make a appointment as soon as possible with my doctor and I'll also talk it through with someone as well, thank you for the advice.

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  3. Wisdom Pen

Wisdom Pen Residential Philosopher and Wizard of Lincoln

Then I would suggest that you go onto this NHS webpage, locate your nearest gender clinic, and then ask your GP to refer you to them.

Some GPs won't feel comfortable giving you the referral seeing as all this is relatively new so if they don't you can usually call the clinic themselves and ask them for a referral directly.

ok?

Ialyrn Aeloria likes this.
  4. Ialyrn Aeloria

Just so that people are fully a wear, I would try to avoid Charing cross GIC if possible. They believe that patients would be better served by a different provider. Charing cross are still running services , it isnt closing, but it does throw a spanner in the works while a new provider is found. This is why I advised @Thunder Splitter to head to Nottingham, as they are right in the middle between the two GIC's. Though there is one in Daventry according to the link you provided, which I did not know about that one.

http://www.wlmht.nhs.uk/news-events/future-charing-cross-gender-identity-clinic/

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

Under 6 days to my GP appointment to ask for one to the Brackenburn one.

*sighs* I have not been doing well the last few weeks. I've spent I don't know how many hours on GQ/NB sites and groups and although it all matches up with so many other stories I can't help nearly having a panic attack every other day.

My hair is about the right length for someone to start working on it and I have the start of a decent androgynous wardrobe but still.

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  6. SRainboom

SRainboom Beware The Kitten Holy!

I went to the clinic in Leeds today and it was positive, they were very friendly and helpful. I can see the light at the tunnel, they said i'm about halfway up the waiting list for treatment, and it could take up to 18 months (or it could be less! they once said it could be 4 years until I had this appointment i had today but it was only 11 months) they also gave me the names of some doctors who will prescribe me hormones and monitor my levels etc. it will speed things up but it's not free so I'll have to budget that. i still have some hoops to jump through but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  7. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

well i suppose an update here wouldnt hurt, as far as i can tell im on the verge of HRT as i believe it was because my GP failed to even give me my blood test results back before my last GIC appointment is what stopped me from getting my prescription as my doctor at the GIC seemed very satisfied to move me onto HRT, but what dissapoints me most about it is that i have to wait several months before another appointment seeing as they are so rare and its already been 2 and a half years. :/

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  8. Wisdom Pen

Yeah Nottingham are my one and they were always good.

Ialyrn Aeloria likes this.
  9. Ialyrn Aeloria

I was Charing Cross, but I was discharged for physical health reasons that means I can not undergo surgery indefinitely. Thankfully those issues have not stopped me from been able to be on HRT, least for the time being.

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

Well, the GP was plesant and sat listening to what was probably a mountain of gibberish from me, panicking. But he's put in the referal request, so 13-16 weeks from now I'll get a letter with more details.

11. Wisdom Pen

thats great :D im so happy for you

Kemaiku likes this.
  12. Ariel

Ariel What would I pay to stay here beside you...

Getting my first and second opinions for surgery in Marrccchhhh~

I. can't. wait.

depending on waiting lists and things, I may be able to get surgery before 2018 which is amazing but i think we all know what waiting lists for this kinda thing are like so trying not to get my hopes up too much for an early date
    but i can't help myself

Kemaiku likes this.
  13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

And I want to change my middle name. All set to make a list, picked one, and just kind of too lazy to try for more. Gender neutral names are hard...and mostly dumb.

14. Wisdom Pen

Did consider changing my name but I just didnt like the one I chose really and aside from some latin names that arent technically names like "Vox Veritatis" so I know they are gender neutral I cant think of any myself

15. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock wants a dragon boyfriend

It's not too difficult to find lists of gender-neutral names online; I have one in particular in mind which I might link when I'm back at my computer and can find it.

EDIT: Here - kind of informal but I found it a helpful starting resource, at least.

#1175 Cuttleshock, 27 February 2017
    Last edited: 27 February 2017
    Wisdom Pen likes this.
  16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

The problem is my first name is Errol (from the latin "errō" so 'to wander' or Wanderer) so it's already odd. Most regular names don't suit it, and I've read most of the lists online.

I'm thinking of 'Wynne' but I'm not sure if that goes with it.

17. Wisdom Pen

I'm going by Dani at the moment but its still too close to my original name.

I kind of want it to be either Norse or Irish considering those are my two heritages so far ive gotten:
    Bolthor
    Ymir
    Brimir
    Blaiín
    Beag
    Aodh
    Daíre

Any of those sound good?

18. Ialyrn Aeloria

When I was deciding what I wanted my name to be, I looked back to around the time I was born and made up a list of popular names from back then. I then slowly whittled down that list to the top 5 names that I liked, and then I spent some time saying them in front of a mirror. I eventually settled upon Elizabeth, it is a name I really like, it was popular back when I was born; and I like to feel that it suits me. After that picking a middle name was easy. My middle name before was James, and I wanted to keep the J in there; so I picked Joanne. The names have a nice ring to them when spoken, and again, Joanne was a popular name when I was born.

I wasn't originally going to change my surname, but I had to move away from home because of how my mum took things when I came out to her. My boyfriend asked me to move in with him, but I needed a guarantor for the tenancy agreement on the property we was looking to rent. I asked my birth father if he would do that for me, but he said no. At the time I was kipping on a friends sofa, so I was essentially homeless. It really upset me, especially after what had happened with my mum; so I no longer wanted my birth fathers surname.

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

I do love Scandanavian things, especially Norwegian, I've found it hard to find books on learning the language, but the names might be easier. 80's names I think I looked at, at some point.

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  20. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Daire sounds the nicest in my opinion

Wisdom Pen likes this.