1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, Mista Squishy is running a fundraiser for Children In Need this year. Check out this thread for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A few users have been reporting problems receiving emails from us. Please read this for more info.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Time to resurrect the Trans thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dax, 18 July 2013.

1. Wisdom Pen

Wisdom Pen Residential Philosopher and Wizard of Lincoln

Yeah I've had clinics like that, unfortunately unless you go private you pretty much have that or nothing in the UK.

You can try talking about all this to them and if that fails go above them to their superior but there's not many options unfortunately.

Biscuit Joint likes this.
  2. SRainboom

SRainboom Beware The Kitten Holy!

Today I had my first assessment appointment at Leeds clinic, it went well. Next will be my psych appointment then I will be able to get HRT soon after :)

Kemaiku, Wisdom Pen and Bexy164 like this.
  3. Welkin

Welkin Recognised Pony

Hi, sorry if I'm interrupting anything, first time on this thread. I recently spoke to my GP and they pretty much immediately referred me to the Leeds GIC which was pretty good of them. I'm currently in the long waiting time to hear back from them.

Disappointingly the general psychologist pretty much blew me off to the GIC and doesn't find it necessary to see me again, which is kind of a shame because it would have been nice to have a professional to see semi-frequently during the long wait. I think Leeds is on about 12 month waiting period at the moment

#1203 Welkin, 2 November 2017
    Last edited: 2 November 2017
  4. Ariel

Ariel What would I pay to stay here beside you...

I got my date for a certain operation in January c:

I've been riding high on this news for a few days; but I'm sure the anxiety about it will definitely kick in soon!

Wisdom Pen, Kemaiku, Bexy164 and 3 others like this.
  5. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock grr...

Uh, so in recent times, I've become increasingly confident that I'm non-binary. Confident enough to put it out here and some other places online; not for much more. I'd prefer to be referred to with they/them/theirs.

I might, in the future, pursue some hormonal therapy - the physical changes it could bring would be very welcome. But as things stand, that's far over the horizon!

Ariel, Wisdom Pen, Kemaiku and 2 others like this.
  6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

I haven't heard anything from the clinic since the open day over four months ago, I'm assuming there simply isn't anything they need to contact me about but still.

Most people are happy enough calling me they or being pleasant enough. Some not so much to the point where it's knowing what parts of the town to avoid and what parts of the day are safeist really.

Wisdom Pen likes this.
  7. SRainboom

So, last night/today I binge watched this anime called 'Recovery of an MMO junkie'.

My headcanon is that Sakurai is a closeted trans woman and I'm writing a fanfic about it.

8. Nytheris

Nytheris Honorary Pony

YES! I really enjoyed watching that but haven't heard many other people talking about it.
    I kind of had the same thought about Sakurai too.

SRainboom likes this.
  9. SRainboom

I will post a link here when it's finished so you can read it :D

10. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock grr...

If I can pose a bit of an open question to the denizens of this thread, how did you first come out, start to socially transition?

I don't know where to get started or whom to talk to. I've tried, four weeks running now, to attend my university's weekly casual trans/NB coffee meet, but I always psych myself out, feeling like I'd be out of place for various reasons and also just getting nerves being in a public place. It doesn't help that I never go to cafés or the like.

11. SRainboom

I got my psych appointment in Leeds on April 11th :D

Before that I'm staying in Germany for a month with my girlfriend then she's coming to England to get a consultation for surgery.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

Mostly to people online. People I was closer to, some where a real mistake, most took it pretty well.

Socially, being enby has differences, but what little I've attempted has gotten some bad reactions in public so for the most part I haven't visually done much. I've altered all my ID's to Mx/X so far, notified any agencies that need to know. Other than that, just traveling up to a support group about 30 ish miles from here. Was meant to go there again this week but I've been too ill to manage.

Cuttleshock likes this.
  13. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Active Pony

I started with my immediate family, and then a few friends. After that, I spent a couple of years esssentially living a double life, male in pulic, female in private. Not exactly by my own choice, but that's another story. I'm not heterosexual either, so this was actually my second time coming out, which may have made it slightly easier. As for when I started living as a girl full time, I literally just bit the bullet, dressing as I wanted to and using what's become my real name. Having left school, I was starting college, so it was a good time to do that. I've only really had former aquantances react badly, although some of my extended family were clearly uncomfortable at first, so I've been lucky in that sense.

I totally get the thing about fearing being out of place. Having been to a few support groups, I did feel slightly out of place for my own reasons, but it was still very comforting to see I wasn't the only gender variant one. Aside from that, finding a way to dress and style my hair I liked helped me to feel more comfortable in public generally, as did carrying a personal alarm on me, just in case. I do still feel rather scared in public, but that's a separate issue entirely, and nothing to do with being trans for me.

Cuttleshock likes this.
  14. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock grr...

Got another question; it might be quite personal, but if you know of any experiences with it, whether your own or those of others, I'd love to hear.

How 'normal' is it for trans people to change their surname?

I ask this because I've got the awkward situation of having an inherently gendered surname. If I were transitioning to a binary gender, I think I'd be likely to make the minor change to my surname to indicate my actual gender, but as far as I'm aware, there's no gender-neutral ending for Russian family names.

Another aspect that affects things is that my chosen first name isn't Russian at all, and it might be awkward to carry that mixed bag through life, but that's not as big a deal for me.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

Surname? not sure. That I think tends to be the least changed of them. I only changed my middle name (nearly a year ago now) because it was the only really masculine one I had.

16. SRainboom

Had my first assessment last week, it went well, my second one soon in about 2 months :)

Candy Yunagi and Kemaiku like this.
  17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

Well, got to see my local support group again for the first time this year. Didn't stay long but saw some new faces.