1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Time to resurrect the Trans thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dax, 18 July 2013.

1. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Thanks. It's unusual for me to express this kind of negativity in this kind of space, I'm someone who likes to bring the good vibes. But that did get to me. Having slept, I'm less viscerally upset, but I still take issue with it. It just felt like "sex" was the "main" question, with gender identity as an aside. Like the past is more important than who I actually am to them. Gender is something that has more of an effect on someone's day-to-day life, along with employment status, physical/mental health and other such things. It honestly would've made more sense to me to ask about gender first (with a third option), and ask if it matches the sex assigned at birth later, as an aside. If they had to put it first, they could've at least made it clear if they were asking about sex assigned at birth. Then it wouldn't have felt like a painful truth and a total lie at the same time. And I could've answered with confidence. Or at least a third option, if they really must've kept the question as it was. Some people are born with mixed characteristics, as well. I don't think those solutions would've been too confusing for those unfamiliar with trans issues? I know that whoever wrote it was really trying, and I do appreciate that. I would've been even more torn up if I couldn't have clarified that later. I also felt somehow dishonest talking about having a physical/mental health condition impacting on my life without having the chance to clarify that it's only moderate anxiety.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to argue, that's not my intention at all. I do still feel a bit irked, but I'll forget soon enough. I also recognise that with the country seemingly becoming a more hostile place to be trans, and having already had something else on my mind,I may have taken it the wrong way, and maybe I would've been less upset, if not for that. And I think that having the sex question first left me with a bad taste in my mouth before I got to the gender identity. I can at least hope that by the next one, we'll be in a place where these things are better understood, and people like me don't have to deal with this again. Hopefully things aren't even worse by then...

Cuttleshock and Oilyvalves like this.
  2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I hope as you do that things will improve, or at least not get worse over time.

There was the option to leave feedback at the end of the census; it may still be possible for you to do so through the website (particularly now you’ve had a chance to sleep on it).

This is going off topic a bit, but I myself left some feedback on the census after completing it. It struck me that the questions were all adamant that we reflect our current situation, right now during the pandemic. For example, our work location and commute, and if we have people temporarily living with us etc.

I think they did that deliberately to make the questions easier to answer. And as you said above, I’m sure a lot of thought went into the wording. But the data they’ll get is very much a snapshot in time. It’ll reflect how life was during a Covid-19 lockdown. I nearly said that I normally walk to work, before realising my actual answer is working from home.

I think they could have added some questions about how things were pre-pandemic, or how we expect them to be after. This would have given them more useful data to work with in the next 10 years before the next census. But ah well.

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  3. Lydiasaurus

Lydiasaurus The Girl With The Most Cake

I got my first opinion for Gender Confirmation Surgery in 2 weeks, anxious but excited :)

4. Lydiasaurus

Lydiasaurus The Girl With The Most Cake

I have been approved for surgery :) not sure when it will be but I know it's happening