1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Tips for collectors?

Discussion in 'MLP Collectible Card Game (CCG)' started by Equinox, 17 December 2017.

1. Equinox

Equinox Active Pony

I haven't heard of many people that just collect the cards rather than play the game, so I was wondering if there's any of you out there? I'm new to collecting CCG cards and I have a few questions:

1) What's the fair price to pay for one card? How about a SR/UR/RR foiled card?
    2) Is it true the new packs don't have foils anymore?
    3) Are the old cards worth less?
    4) Is it better to collect in decks of cards that would be played or just to collect single cards that one likes?
    5) How can I go about trading the cards? I doubt anyone would be happy with mailing theirs to me first and waiting for me to receive it before I mail mine out.
    6) What's the best place to buy new packs, and also where to buy single specific cards?

Thank you!

2. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Depends on the card. If it is competitively viable then expect to pay more - assuming you can get them in the first place (case in point, my favourite card). Prices for new cards tend to be artificially inflated anyway.

Cards from Equestrian Odysseys tend to be more expensive as the set is now out of print and Enterplay have stated that they have no plans to reprint it (stupid move, IMO, but that's Enterplay for you - they seem hell-bent on killing the game at the moment.)

Apparently so - I've yet to see any of the new cards myself (yet)

See the answer to question 1.
    If a card is competitively viable in Harmony format then expect to pay more for it.

Depends on where your tastes lie.
    My decks change on a regular basis, albeit around a few 'core' cards - if you buy booster packs/boxes then you're going to end up with a lot of chaff.

As with all transactions, an element of trust is required.

Single cards: ccgcastle.com
    Packs: your friendly local games shop, assuming they stock them. Failing that, Chaos Cards or Magic Madhouse online.

3. Equinox

Equinox Active Pony

Thank you so much for replying!

Ah, I've heard about that Night Glider. Apparently it's £50 for one or something like that.

I've only been able to get my hands on cards from Marks in Time (and a few High Magic ones), and only booster packs at that. There's just those cards that show up in every pack I open. One of them was really badly damaged as well, two holes straight through it. I have no clue what I can do with all the extra common cards, especially since everyone else is probably swimming in them as well.

Is there an easy way to check which cards are more 'competitively viable'? I'm not too familiar with the rules so I don't know how to figure it out. I do think trying out the actual game would be fun, but for now I'm still just a collector. (It's also hard to build decks with only 1 mane character card)

Once again thank you for the reply :)

4. Equinox

Equinox Active Pony

Hope it's alright to double post since it's been so long - I didn't want to start a whole new thread for two questions.

I'm looking for an alternative to Ponyhead which I can use to organise my cards, since it's not working properly for me. If it is the best choice and all of the cards appear for everyone else, then I might just need to switch browsers. As for now, I ended up listing all of them in a Word document...

Also, I'm wondering if it's normal to get damaged cards in a pack? I got an Opal Best Cat with two big holes in it, and one or two with sides that look a bit rough. Could it be that I was buying older packs? However it still doesn't make too much sense as most of the other cards from the same packs are in great quality.