1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Discussion Tips for Good Roleplaying... please

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Aethelberdia, 25 September 2014.

1. Aethelberdia

Aethelberdia Returning Pony

I've been at the center of several disturbances in the RPs, mainly because most of my characters are arrogant sods, and partially because my writing style is a mashup.

So. Tips on:
    Character differentiation
    Smooth, detailed writing
    Post planning
    Not being a jerk :p

2. Fridge

Fridge Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.

When you say character differentiation what exactly do you mean?

There is one thing I can recommend that I do that helps make the writing flow, and that's to write it down in a word document (or note's on a tablet) first. That way you can read through it, check for errors etc and can see if there are any strange breaks or jumps in the way it flows.

Another suggestion is this; You're a D&Der right? Well, create a character sheet complete with inventory, current mood, alignment, previous actions, injuries etc. I find that doing that makes it easier for me to keep track of what my characters doing or will do.

3. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

This is from a conversation between Blaze, Heartless, and myself from a few months ago. I thought I'd copy/pasta here, so if anyone else is looking for some good roleplay tips can read it:

I think the great Bob Ross said it best when he said:

[​IMG]

Back when I began roleplaying a couple years ago, I was horrible at it! I dunno if Blaze remember this, but I was so bad that other people in the section would call me out on it. I'd have to change entire entrees before the roleplay could continue on! I just kept at it and continue to pursue and practice at it. Also, writing a little in your free time helps too.

Also, Blaze said this:

All roleplaying is to me, is a chain of cause and effect. If a negative event happens obviously, the effect it would create would most likely be negative also. The same applies to positive or neutral events. Then your character is forced to react given his or her specific traits. Thus, this reaction creates a new line of cause and effect for the next poster, and so on. Sometime this means you have to keep your options open, and not get too attached to one story arc you're trying to create. I've scrapped many a possible outcome, because someone above me posted something I didn't expect. I am completely okay, with that! It keeps me on my toes, and is part of why roleplaying is so fun! Also, I sometimes feel the need to sleep on a post for a while before I can put all of MY emotions/reactions aside before I can begin posting as someone else. Usually though, something someone said will catch my attention and I get a burst of inspiration. This make roleplaying easy, but there are times where I have a hard time thinking of anything. I chose not to force it, and let the post above me simmer for awhile before I can think within character again. I dunno if you've ever heard me or Fridge talk about my "Two Post Rule", but it's just a rule I use to make sure I don't force too much and the thread moves along smoothly. I just simply wait until there are AT LEAST two posts after my newest post before I can contribute again. I not saying that it's a rule set in stone, but what I am saying is that when you force something (anything in life, really) and you rush yourself, you'll often find that you've done a horrible job.

I hope all this was helpful.

#3 Rare80, 5 January 2015
    Last edited: 5 January 2015
    Fridge likes this.