1. Found a G1/G2/G3 Merch discussion in this area? Let us know so we can move it to the right forum - "Report" the thread to flag it to a member of staff.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Toy Fair 2015 - what did we see? Beware: Potential EG3 Spoilers!

Discussion in 'Friendship is Magic - Merch & Toys' started by idlemichael, 20 January 2015.

1. idlemichael

Just returned from the Press Day at the London Toy Fair and thought folks might like to know what stuff they had on show. Some people may remember I posted some stuff from the show last year (which some then declared was ********), hopefully the fact that everything I said was true may give this a little credence ;)

So, what was on show at the show?

Well, the Hasbro toy line looks like they're going to be pushing a HUGE Celestia Castle set, three different levels of glorious plastic that'll be covered in little heart-shaped QR codes. Yup, MLP is seemingly get a new app - still in development according to the guide - where you'll unlock in-app elements by grabbing the codes. It's not just the buildings that will have codes on them though - ponies will have them too. I saw a Pinkie with the QR near her front hoof, for example - they're not really that intrusive.

There'll be a brand new Cutie Mark Magic pony as Cadence gets the light-up treatment (and some truly dodgy hair that I hope will be fixed before release). There are also two new see-through ponies (the ones that you shake up like a snow globe and see stars inside) - they had a Rarity on show as well as the mysteriously named Diamond Mint. No idea who that is though, sorry!

The Pop line is getting another push too, with two new types on the way. First up, bigger ones! A Celestia that you can draw on with a marker and a mystery pony (who I imagine will probably be Luna) that you scratch the black covering off to reveal the purple beneath. Second, shiny Pop ponies! I saw metallic green and metallic gold ones, so if you like putting your ponies together off sprues, that's what you can expect.

Now, the controversy. Equestria Girls is coming back with its third movie in August (again, according to our guide). EQ3 is set around the Friendship Games (that's the title, by the way) where the Wonderbolts are to face off against the Shadow Colts. The two teams will take each other on in a series of sporting events (including hockey, apparently!) in the name of... well, friendship, I guess. Oddly, the toys didn't have much of a sporty look to them, though there were plenty of curious sunglasses and a rather shiny looking Motocross bike. Oh, and the Flash Sentry doll looked bobbins. Sadly there was no footage of Friendship Games on show (perhaps there was backstage) and... that's about it.

Oh! One other thing - everyone knows that game, Pop Up Pirate? The little dude in a barrel, you put swords in the slots until one randomly triggers his leaping out of said barrel? There's an MLP version coming soon where you're putting candles into a cake - hit the right one and out pops a hidden Pinkie Pie. It was actually pretty sweet. I'd definitely pick that up.

There you go, all I know. Let the discussion commence!

PonyGirl and Gene like this.
  2. AutoBrony

AutoBrony Well-Known Pony

Wow! Sounds like Hasbro have some pretty interesting stuff lined up for MLP this year! I'm looking forward to Equestria Girls: Friendship Games, especially the hockey. I'm a big hockey fan myself, mostly Ice Hockey, so I'm curious to see how that will turn out. I never thought Flash Sentry would get a doll from the Equestria Girls toyline, I thought Hasbro mostly focused on Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, the rest of the Mane 6 and the main Villain of the film. I also hope they give Flash a bigger and better role in the next Equestria Girls movie, than his role in Rainbow Rocks. By the way, this may not be Pony related, but they were made by Hasbro too. Did you see any Transformers figures at the London Toy Fair?

3. idlemichael

I did indeed, didn't pay a huge amount of attention as I was trying not to forget any MLP stuff, but they had a MONSTER Bumblebee and a huge Optimus Prime that could transform with one touch.

AutoBrony likes this.
  4. AutoBrony

AutoBrony Well-Known Pony

Sweet!

#4 AutoBrony, 20 January 2015
    Last edited: 21 January 2015
  5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

That date is the one thing that rather startles me, for this reason: S5 is starting this spring and is a full-length season. Assuming the premiere and finale are both two-parters, that means a minimum of 24 weeks. Unless "spring" means the first part of March, that means S5 will still be underway in August -- but getting near the end of its run. If I were Hasbro, I wouldn't want the build-up to the S5 finale diluted by the build-up to EG3. Obviously your guide is more likely to know these things than me! But if accurate, it seems a weird decision commercially.

6. idlemichael

Don't take anything about dates as gospel truth from the guides - they don't always have perfect information! However, everything I've mentioned about the toys and stuff is correct though, seen 'em with me own eyes, I did.

edit: AutoBrony - I don't recall seeing any, but I know Grimlock very well. It was the first Transformer I ever owned about 30 years ago!

7. Ossie

Ossie Active Pony

8. idlemichael

Very similar, Ossie, though they didn't actually have the black and white squares inside that you'd normally associate with a QR code. Of course, these may not be the final designs, but there were certainly several on show and they looked like they'd been decided upon, design wise.

Hope that helps (a little at least!).

9. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
    If thats EG3.........THERE WILL BE SOARIN MERCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *screams*

10. Recurrent Trotting

:D huzzah for toy themed eqg

we've had a prom, a music thing and now games :3

prom turned into fighting demons

music turned into fighting succubi (ish sort of things)

maybe the games will portal in another demon from the hells. I would link a picture to one, but they all break this site's rules :p

wait I have one :D and he plays sport

[​IMG]

#10 Recurrent Trotting, 21 January 2015
    Last edited: 21 January 2015
  11. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

I foresee many sacrificial burnings in that thing's future. :p
    Awwww yis, love the Pops. :D Didn't realize Celestia was going to be big though, if it's the one I've seen pictures of it looked normal-size, but I'm probably thinking of the wrong one.
    Any idea what characters the metallic ones were? Green sounds like maybe another Lyra?

12. idlemichael

abrony-mouse: Truly, that's the most terrifying think I've seen in some time ;)

Cendaquenta: There wasn't any packaging saying what the new metallic Pops were, I'm afraid - just the example gold and green sprues. The Celestia and probabLuna ones were definitely much larger though!

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  13. Ixperia

Ixperia New Pony

About the doll of Flash sentry are with Twilight romantically? is interesting information, but you have a photo? is the Twilight of the human world?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm very happy and I want you tell me all about the doll of Flash. Please tell me I beg

14. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Hmm.. well, I suppose I could try to sell the Flash doll on eBay or give it to someone. Anyone want a Flash doll? :p

(Though I probably just won't buy that set. I've only ever purchased two bits of EqG merch as it is.)

15. XxSea_CookiexX

XxSea_CookiexX ♥ Pony Collector ♥

Wow! That all sounds really intriguing, and now I'm wishing I could've been there myself! About the codes, I'd like to see more into this, and I am wondering what the new App will be like, and, if there is any connection to the Gamloft app too, for that could be rather interesting.

The new POP ponies also sound pretty cool; I thought I'd heard of a new Celestia coming soon, but I had no idea of a potential "mystery" Luna figure, or the metallic singles (Which I will definitely want, for they will be shiny xD). It would be nice if they could expand with more playsets, like the Golden Oak Library (R.I.P, so probably not), Canterlot or even, Cloudsdale, instead of JUST releasing new figurines.
    I have to say I am VERY excited for the new Equestria Girls movie, just as pleased as I was when you posted about Rainbow Rocks last year! This one in my perspective, sounds so far like it is going to be EPIC! I mean, if it involves human Shadowbolts, and potentially some Rainbow Dash fangirling, then I'm in! Though there is not much news on the 2015 dolls, I AM looking forward to the fact that there's a Flash Sentry doll. I'm happy for this, not because you could then put Twilight and Flash together, but of the reason that there will finally be male dolls; for example, Big Mac and any other interesting characters!

Finally, the Pop-Up-Pinkie. I've wanted something like this to be official for a while now, and this is the perfect way to go! Just think of how fun it would be to see a Pinkie Pie pop out from the cake, just as she would in the show! I am hoping even more games like this will follow (Heck, what about a Derparoo instead of Buckaroo? No? Okay..).

Basically, I can't wait for any of this! Let 2015 bring good merchandise!!