1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I did manage to see King Edward II on shed so not all bad.
    I did think they were having motive power issues , bringing in the 4mt tank from Llangollen seems an odd choice when they have one (even if out of traffic) and its not really a crowd puller.
    I did see 43106, but I was disappointed they didn't put it on regular trains and put one of the Panniers on footplate experiance instead.
    Running King Edward as a regular seems a great idea.
    Just ashame they have so many big ticket locomotives out of traffic in the Engine shed (LMR austerity, 8F and Black 5). I know tank engines are cheaper to run, but being one of the major lines in the country you kind of expect to see at least one big engine out.
    Bit of a tangent but do the Diesels other than the DMU ever get out on the regular service timetable? They have multiple 50s on site and a nice 33 around (and more).

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I believe the Llangollen tank was brought in at very short notice for the Santa Specials, when they pretty much had to take whatever was available at the time. It's stayed on because of the weakness of the home fleet for the next few months, rather than to bring in the crowds.

Apart from the short-term repairs I already mentioned, Bradley Manor is now available, and the next loco out of the works will be the SVR's own 4MT (75069), probably in the summer. I believe the Mogul (42968) should be ready sometime next year, and Erlestoke Manor is under overhaul at Tyseley. The one I'm really looking forward to is Hagley Hall, but that'll be 2020 or so. There has been some talk of getting Gordon into the works and returning it to operation, but I'll believe that when I see it!

As for your diesel question, the answer is yes. :) During the May-September high season when the SVR runs seven days a week, the diesel turn is usually loco-hauled. The provisional timetable I've seen has this roster for Saturdays in May and June:

5 May: 37688
    12 May: 33108
    19 May : Diesel Gala
    26 May: 50xxx
    2 Jun: Goods Gala
    9 Jun: D1062 Western Courier
    16 Jun: 50xxx
    23 Jun: D1015 Western Champion
    30 Jun: TBA

Also, the Class 14 (D9551) is planned to run on weekdays during the last week of May, and the visiting Deltic (55019 Royal Highland Fusilier) is likely to work a standard service train on 16 May, the day before the Diesel Gala begins.

#2022 Loganberry, 11 March 2018
    Last edited: 11 March 2018
    Wonderbolt likes this.
  3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Thanks, Logan.
    If I go again I will probably aim for the post easter high season.

4. Loganberry

A couple of enforced changes to the SVR Spring Gala:

1) The B1 (no. 1264) sadly cannot attend, as repairs have overrun and it will not be ready to run at the gala. The SVR have done very well in getting a replacement, which will be 7F no. 53808 from the West Somerset Railway. This is the loco that ran as "no. 88" for a while, but it's now in BR Black and so carrying its post-nationalisation number.

This will be a straight replacement -- all trips listed in the timetable as being worked by the B1 will now be worked by the 7F. This loco will be paired with the maroon LMS stock, I think. The B12 is still down to haul the teaks.

2) A serious bridge strike on the Whitby branch means that Tornado cannot get to the SVR by rail. The A1 Trust have kindly agreed that, in a break with its usual practice, the loco can come by road. The SVR is of course still a mainline-connected railway, so Tornado still won't be going against custom in that particular regard! Sadly, this means that no locos will be arriving by rail, as the other one that was going to was the B1.

I'm obviously disappointed by the B1 news, but these things happen, and well done to the SVR in getting a popular engine as a replacement. I don't think I've seen the 7F on the SVR in any case, as its last visit was in autumn 2014 and I have a feeling I missed that one. I'll definitely still be there on Saturday. :)

#2024 Loganberry, 13 March 2018
    Last edited: 13 March 2018
    Somerset Cider and Oilyvalves like this.
  5. Loganberry

For anyone going to the SVR gala on Saturday (which will include me!) please note the weather forecast! It's going to be very cold, possibly as cold as it was a couple of weeks ago with temperatures barely reaching freezing and a strong wind. Snow showers possible, too. All the stations have somewhere to shelter, but out on the platforms you really will need midwinter clothing.

Sunday similar, but tomorrow will be milder.

6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

7. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

So cold, so very cold... but a good day with great company
    Some SVR photos from me....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

I'm not a train fan but those are pretty! Glad you folk could enjoy it despite the cold

Loganberry likes this.
  9. Loganberry

As usual, I'm a bit slow in getting my photos ready, but thank you to both @Somerset Cider and @Oilyvalves for their very pleasant company yesterday. It was a good day. :)

Before I forget about this again: I'm planning a gentler, more laid-back meet at the SVR on Saturday 21 April. The idea is to meet up at Kidderminster, then go to the Unicorn pub (yes, it really is called that! :D) by steam train for lunch. After a good feed, a bit more time on the railway. Everyone welcome. More details here:

https://ukofequestria.co.uk/threads...t-21-april-2018-tbc.19012/page-3#post-1141615

Still provisional at this stage until I get some more feedback, but as long as a few people are interested it will definitely be that date. (No other spring date works, unfortunately.) Hopefully it'll be warmer by then! I'm not booking anything in advance, so feel free to think about it first. Probably best if any comments go on the thread I just linked to. Thanks!

As far as the SVR gala goes, though, photos will be up in a day or two. :)

#2029 Loganberry, 18 March 2018
    Last edited: 18 March 2018
    Somerset Cider likes this.
  10. Loganberry

Right, finally some photos! Before I get to those, though, a little something for diesel fans: the Severn Valley Railway is offering a couple of very unusual driver experiences in conjunction with GBRf in June this year: either a Class 66 with hopper wagons or a Class 73/1 with passenger coaches, both over the full length of the line. Yours for a mere £875 per person, with the proceeds going to charity -- details here.

Photo time, then! All taken at the SVR on Saturday as mentioned above. (Edit: except the third one! That was when I was there on my own on Friday, so shouldn't really be in this collection. I won't remove it now, though.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2030 Loganberry, 20 March 2018
    Last edited: 23 March 2018
  11. Loganberry

On my way back from the Worcester ponymeet last Saturday, I had a brief ride behind this HST: 43155 The Red Arrows 50 Seasons of Excellence. These trains are approaching the end in this area, as they'll be replaced by Class 800s very soon. While HSTs will live on in various parts of the country, what's special about these is that they are, to this day, slam-door stock. Yes, you still have to lean out of the window and use the external handle to get out at stations. I think that once they're gone, there will be no remaining slam-door stock in NR timetabled service. (When these sets are split up for the southwest, they'll have power doors fitted.)

HSTatWOS1.jpg

CuldeeFell and Oilyvalves like this.
  12. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I was riding a slam door HST to Swansea and sticking my head and the feeling was amazing. Unfortunately one of the GWR staff members asked me (politely tbf) to stop it, but I was being careful nonetheless :p

The 800s aren't that bad, and I think they're fine for the London to Hereford route similar to what the 180s are like now. They don't beat the HSTs though.

13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

The East Midlands fleet are all still slam-door for the time being. I haven't seen of any plans to fit them with power doors, although the franchise is due for renewal soon so time will tell.

Since I haven't posted it on here yet; here's one viewed from my new flat:

[​IMG]

I really wouldn't condone sticking one's head out of a window on the mainline railway. Sure, opening a window and standing near it within the carriage to look out can be fun, but leave it at that. The speeds involved are so much greater than those on preserved railways where the practice is a lot more common. And I've unfortunately heard of at least one enthusiast (a long-time serving volunteer from the Bluebell railway) who was fatally injured out on the main line.

#2033 Oilyvalves, 2 May 2018
    Last edited: 2 May 2018
    Zenfox and Loganberry like this.
  14. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

On the subject of slam doors The Class 68s top and tail with the pretendelino mk3s are on their driver training runs to Lime Street now, just saw the end of one today, will be great when they are in full transpennine service at the end of the month, even if it is until the mk5s arrive.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  15. Loganberry

Ah, then I stand corrected! In that case, it's just in my neck of the woods where there'll be no more slam-door stock. Well, okay, plenty on the SVR. :p

16. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

It's a pity you're losing them in your part of the country. Hopefully when they're gone you can come and visit the EM some time :).

And yep, slam door stock is here to stay on preserved lines, even if it's not quite the same as having it on the main line.

17. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I completely understand the risks and I've heard of a poor fella who was fatally injured in the Gatwick Express in the same way. I was still careful though.

As a side note, were the 225s always power doors or did they ever have slam doors? I'm sure they didn't but something tells me it's a recent thing.

18. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Took a trip on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire railway yesterday.
    Some pics.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Ooh, very nice. I'll actually be there next weekend, funnily enough. Will be wonderful to see [email protected] again.

Somerset Cider likes this.
  20. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Some really good views along the line, but the timetable is a bit sparse along side Severn valley. Worth the trip though.

Oilyvalves likes this.