1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

And, indeed, the Black Five has now been withdrawn entirely. I'm not at all happy with the way this has been handled and the lack of public information, but that rant's for another time. Suffice it to say heritage rail really needs to get itself into 2018 and realise it's a major leisure industry now, not a big boys' train set. :mad:

The good news here is that the replacement loco is 46100 Royal Scot! This engine visited the SVR three years ago and was extremely well received. I have no doubt that it will be a very popular visitor once again. :) I'm told by someone who ought to know that there should be one further visitor announced in due course. I didn't get any clues as to what it might be, though!

2. Loganberry

Me again! Strong hints now emerging that the final gala visitor will be 70000 Britannia, which is just finishing overhaul. The word is that the loco will undertake trials at the SVR in the very near future, and provided those are completed in time it will take part in the gala. Britannia is an Icons of Steam engine, just like Royal Scot, so the idea makes sense. Those two engines visited together for the 2015 Autumn Gala, so this won't be anything new, but they were both very popular so I doubt anyone will mind too much.

The engine I'm really after seeing return to the SVR is 70013 Oliver Cromwell, which hasn't been here since 2009, but that has an imminent overhaul so it'll be some years yet, unfortunately. (What a gala that was, though I didn't manage to go to it: Nunney Castle, Duke of Gloucester, Sir Nigel Gresley and Oliver Cromwell at the same time -- and not one of them has been back since! :eek: )

On another note, I had this fun quiz question recently -- let's see if anyone here can do it. There are three steam locomotives in Britain operational in 2018 which are known to have reached 100 mph. Can you name them?

#2062 Loganberry, 24 August 2018
    Last edited: 24 August 2018
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  3. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

That Autumn 2015 gala with Britannia and Scot was my first time at the SVR, I remember it well :).

As for the quiz question; that's a toughy for me, as I'm not very good with keeping track of what's operational! If Tornado is currently running then that will be one. Same goes for it's LNER cousin Flying Scotsman. The third? Well, there's two that spring to mind as possibilities, although I'm not too sure. Is it either Duchess of Sutherland or Peninsular & Oriental?

Loganberry likes this.
  4. Loganberry

I actually edited the question because I realised I'd made a mistake -- it now says "operational in 2018" -- and going by that, yes, Tornado is indeed one of them. :) Flying Scotsman is naturally the second. You're not right with either of your other guesses though. Apparently Union of South Africa got close at one point in preservation (I don't know the details) but didn't actually crack the ton. If neither you nor anyone else get this by the end of the weekend, I'll post the answer.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  5. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Sir Nigal Gresley would have been one if was operational, City of Turo maybe unless you don't count its record as being certain?

Also saw the NRM or "Railway Museum" as we now must call it new website and branding today, talk about not matching the subject matter and odd choice of colours.

6. Loganberry

City of Truro is unlikely ever to be operational again. I managed to miss it on its last visit to the SVR and I've regretted it ever since. :(

One clue on the third loco's identity: the 100 mph run was in the 1960s.

I intend to call it the NRM. They can put up with it. :D

7. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Is Truro not operational any more? I remember seeing it when it was last operational in Cornwall but that was a while back haha. Am going to ask is it a Merchant Navy or Britannia?

Haha, suspect its all about keeping in the governments framework to get funding and national in the name may put of prospective visitors.

8. Loganberry

I must admit that @Oilyvalves got the answer during the Worcester meet today... but if you want to keep on with this, then I'm perfectly happy. You're on the right lines now: it is a Merchant Navy loco.

I don't think City of Truro has officially been permanently retired, but its Wikipedia page says that "after examination [in 2013] it was found that the locomotive required more work than first thought and was unlikely to be operational in the foreseeable future." So the door isn't entirely shut, but I strongly suspect it'll go the way of Mallard and be preserved as a static exhibit.

On another note, a couple of photos of Union of South Africa at Worcester Shrub Hill this morning. Probably the last time I'll ever see that loco running, short of a major change of heart by its owner, so I was pleased to be able to make it.

60009_one.jpg

60009_two.jpg

Oilyvalves and Somerset Cider like this.
  9. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Some more photos of Union of South Africa....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oilyvalves and Loganberry like this.
  10. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Nah, am good to hear the answer

11. Zenfox

Zenfox SE Train Pone

If its Clan Line i will eat my hat :p

Oilyvalves likes this.
  12. Loganberry

I hope you're eating an edible hat, then! It is indeed Clan Line -- 104 mph passing Axminster with the Atlantic Coast Express in 1961. (Unofficial timing but generally accepted.) :)

Wonderbolt, Oilyvalves and Zenfox like this.
  13. Zenfox

Zenfox SE Train Pone

Best I start eating now :p
    But in the last years of steam it wasn't unheard of Bulleids to top 100 or more :3

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Here are some pics from my recent holiday to the Isle of Man. Those familiar with the island will know it's rather a treasure-trove for railway enthusiasts, and it didn't disappoint. Not just the abundance of railways, but the variety and difference they have compared to your average mainland standard gauge line. I can highly recommend it as a destination.

I took over 500 photos during the trip and narrowing them down was tricky, but the full gallery is here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/technoandrew/albums/72157670591651857

A few select examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side note: I took a Rainbow Dash blind-bag with me in preparation for capturing a 'Ponies on Tour' shot, but completely failed to remember actually taking one. :rolleyes:

15. Loganberry

Now official that the final visiting loco for the SVR Autumn Steam Gala will be 70000 Britannia. So not a bad line-up! For personal reasons I'm not likely to make the gala this year, but if the Brit does come early for test purposes (as seems likely) then I may at least get to see it in action at some point. :)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  16. sten whik

sten whik Space

Thomas the Tank Engine is being changed again but this time in collaboration with the UN to "promote the Sustainable Development Goals."
    Did nobody tell the UN that Thomas is a steam locomotive?

17. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Set during times before the environmentalist move was a thing in a world were non compliance gets your wheels removed and turned into a stationary engine, bricked up in a tunnel, banished as a hen house or pulled apart by two trains!

18. Loganberry

As I had a free day yesterday and the weather was unexpectedly good, I decided to spend it on the SVR. It turned out to be a really good decision, as there was a great deal going on. I was hauled by two steam and one diesel locos, saw three more steam and one diesel running, and generally had an excellent time. All on a standard low-season timetable! :)

I deliberately didn't take the DSLR, as I wanted to travel light, so all these photos are taken with my phone. Luckily, its camera isn't bad at all when the light conditions are good, especially when I can do a little editing afterwards. First up, here's GWR Pannier no. 1501 leaving Highley with a southbound Driver Experience train:

[​IMG]

Here's SR West Country Class no. 34027 Taw Valley waiting to depart north from Highley with the train I'd just got off!

[​IMG]

To stop this post getting too unwieldy, I'll put the other three photos under cuts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Loganberry

Some good news re the SVR gala: the owners of the Q6 have given it the go-ahead to attend. That means all four guest locos should be present and correct. :) I happened to see Royal Scot travelling to the SVR via the main line today -- it wasn't exactly working hard with just the support coach on flat, straight track, but everything looked very nice and smooth. Duchess of Sutherland is also coming via NR, on Wednesday. I assume the Q6 is coming by road, but I don't know when. Britannia is here already and it was around and about today, presumably doing a spot more testing.

(As an aside, a big reason I now use "it" rather than the traditional "she" for locos is that the older way got a bit silly during the years that Sir Keith Park spent on the SVR!)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  20. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Ive never got the she/he things for inanimate objects haha A train is an it.

GatewaytoGlimmer likes this.