1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

A few updates from the SVR world:

Spring Steam Gala (15-17 Mar)

This will have a GWR branch line flavour. Engines in steam should be:

Visitors
    GWR Large Prairie no. 4144
    GWR 5600 Class no. 5619
    GWR Pannier Tank no. 6430 (which will be working autotrains)

Home fleet
    GWR Saddle Tank no. 813
    GWR Pannier Tank no. 1501
    GWR 2800 Class no. 2857
    GWR Pannier Tank no. 7714
    GWR Manor Class no. 7802 Bradley Manor
    BR Standard Class 4 no. 75069

For anyone wondering about the BR interloper, it's there for two reasons: one, it's only just returned to steam after a long overhaul and will be enjoying its first gala for 20 years... and two, it was built at Swindon! :p (Okay, okay, 1501 was actually built by BR as well... but it is a GWR design.)

Three visiting locos rather than the previously trailed four, so I guess one wasn't ready or negotiations fell through. Also, home fleet no. 1450 won't be ready, which sadly puts the kibosh on the plan to have two autotrains running at the same time. Still looks a fun line-up for a gala like this, though, and I am definitely hoping to attend, especially as the new Bridgnorth Refreshment Room is finally finished. :)

Spring Diesel Festival (16-18 May)
    The year's smaller diesel event so far has the following announcements, though it's not clear whether there may be more to come:

Visitors
    Class 33 no. 33108
    Class 37 no. 37688
    Class 40 no. 40106 Atlantic Conveyor
    Class 55 no. 55019 Royal Highland Fusilier

Home fleet
    Class 14 no. D9551
    Class 42 no. D821 Greyhound
    Class 50 no. 50031 Hood
    Class 50 no. 50035 Ark Royal
    Class 50 no. 50044 Exeter
    Class 52 no. D1062 Western Courier

Autumn Steam Gala (19-22 Sep)
    Not much information about this yet, as you'd imagine, but a spokesman in Steam Railway this month suggested the plan was for the theme to be "BR Standards with a Southern twist", given the return of 75069 (see above) to operational condition this year. So there's a Standard 4 to start off with. Add to that any two (or ideally all three!) of a Standard 5, Britannia and a 9F and you'd have a nice cross-section of the larger BR locos.

As far as the Southern bit goes, my absolute favourite option would be to see a Merchant Navy loco visit the railway. Skimming the SVR wiki, I don't think MN engines have ever come to this line, and right now there are (I think) three in operational condition. I might be asking too much, in which case it'll probably be a WC/BoB loco (maybe Sir Keith Park could return! :p) though I guess a Schools would work if there's one available.

#2101 Loganberry, 27 January 2019
    Last edited: 27 January 2019
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I certainly plan to be at the Spring gala. It'll be a nice change to see lots of ickle tanks zooming all over the place :p. Not sure I've ever seen a large prairie in person either. Fingers crossed the weather isn't as cold as last year.

Anything Southern will be up my street for the Autumn gala. My dream would be 35018 British India Line, as another Bulleid to cross off the list. And now I've said that, it'll definitely be Sir Keith Park.

Moving on.. I had a very enjoyable time with @Somerset Cider at the Great Central Railway's winter Steam Gala last Saturday. The weather held and there was lots to see. The GCR does suffer a bit from having too many operational resident locos, so guest locos can be a bit sparse. Nevertheless, it was excellent to see Bradley Manor stretch her legs on the TPO. You can see my footage from the day here:

Somerset Cider likes this.
  3. Loganberry

It would have to go some! Though it was strange last year: the Friday was quite mild, yet the Saturday was... well, you know very well what it was like! :D
    Still, it's a problem many railways would like to have! Also, thanks very much for the video you posted. Very good viewing and plenty to see. Obviously Bradley Manor had special interest for me, but everything was worth watching. Glad the weather held for you and Somerset! One day I'll get to that gala again. One day...

Oilyvalves likes this.
  4. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Some pics from thew Winter Gala...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A grand day

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  5. Loganberry

Glad it went well. :) Some nice photos there, but I think the one that caught my eye the most was the last one. Really striking in B/W, and the guy to the left just makes it. Hi-vis looks so much better when it... isn't. ;)

Somerset Cider and Oilyvalves like this.
  6. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

no idea why but i just had an idea for a 12 car EMU based on the clas 321

7. Streamline

Streamline Active Pony

Great news. Passed my second progress review last week. Had to sit an exam based mostly on the signalling Rule Book modules so hours of drawings. Anyhow means my next exam is the final one encompassing all the theory in March then I go on to practical handling to get my driving hours in. Long way to go yet but I'm getting there progressively.

Oilyvalves and Loganberry like this.
  8. Loganberry

The provisional timetable for the SVR Spring Gala in mid-March is out. Just the times for the moment, though I hope loco allocations will be added nearer the event. (I know the odd double-header is planned, but I don't know when.) PDF is here:

https://www.svr.co.uk/pdf/Special Events/SVR Spring Steam Gala 2019 Timetable.pdf

It looks okay, I guess. Nothing amazing, and at the northern (Bridgnorth) end of the line there are the usual long gaps at times in the afternoon. It's not the most ambitious SVR gala timetable I've ever seen, but it ought to be a reliable one, machinery permitting. And at least there are none of the 25-minute waits at Hampton Loade we've occasionally seen in the past! I also reflect that it's unfair to compare it with the far more ambitious round-the-clock timetables we get for the autumn galas.

It seems the SVR are experimenting with shifting everything earlier this year: the first service leaves Bewdley at 08.25, which is around an hour earlier than sometimes -- but on the other hand everything's stopped by just after 19.00, whereas I can remember spring galas that finished around 20.00. This means almost the entire gala will be held in daylight, as sunset will be around 18.15. I slightly regret that as I enjoy night steam, but oh well.

A standard adult day rover is £32. That's perhaps a tiny bit steep (cf GCR Winter Gala £28) but I can live with it. Not sure whether I'll be doing two days this year, though. That'll be weather-dependent to some extent.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  9. Loganberry

SVR Spring Gala update -- and it's a good one! :) There will be a fourth visiting loco after all: LNWR "Coal Tank" no. 1054. Fits nicely with the Welsh branchline theme as it spent a significant part of its working life based at Abergavenny.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  10. Loganberry

And a less good update: repairs to resident no. 1450 have hit a snag, it seems. Not a huge one, but probably enough to keep it out of the running for gala weekend. Back to one autotrain, then! (Visiting no. 6430)

11. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

#2111 rdlover777, 6 March 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: 6 March 2019
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  12. Loganberry

Right, this is mostly for the attention of @Oilyvalves , @Somerset Cider and anyone else who may be considering attending the SVR Spring Gala next Saturday (16th March). Attached you'll find a copy of the Saturday timetable with loco allocations, loco directions and a brief summary of which engines will be in operation, plus brief notes on the several full/partial double-headers.

I think the information I've included here is correct, though the way the SVR have published this info this year has meant an awful lot of cross-referencing so I can't absolutely guarantee it, even if all 10 locos are running well on the day! Anyway, see under the spoiler-cut for the timetable. :)

Note that no. 1501 was a late replacement for unavailable auto-fitted no. 1450, hence the "Auto" designation on its trains. Since 1501 is not auto-fitted, its trains will not be push-pull and it will haul the autocoach conventionally. No. 6430 is auto-fitted and will run as such.

SVR Spring 2019 SATURDAY loco allocations.jpg

#2112 Loganberry, 10 March 2019
    Last edited: 10 March 2019
    Oilyvalves and Somerset Cider like this.
  13. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

LNER have confirmed that there 800s will start service on May 15th

Oilyvalves likes this.
  14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

@Loganberry @Somerset Cider The weather is not looking great, so I will confirm tomorrow evening if I plan to come on Saturday or not.

15. Loganberry

Okay, fine. I agree, it doesn't look fantastic right now. Hoping the forecast will improve, but prepared for it not to. Ah well, I'll probably go anyway even if nobody else does, but if it's terrible weather I may not stick around all day. We'll see. :)

16. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

That's good for me. Saturday is now looking like a bit of a wash out. Warm and wet is not the best weather for photographing steam trains.

17. Loganberry

Yeah, I think the odds are that it'll just be me there. I'm fine with that if it does happen, and will still try to get a few photos. Like @Somerset Cider says, though, they're unlikely to be great. :p

18. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Weather on H&W has just said high winds and light rain in the morning getting heavier through the afternoon. Now Sunday is supposed to be a bit rough too.

19. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

OK, decision time; YES, I’m going anyway! I aim to be at Kidderminster for about 10:15. It’ll be good to meet up with one/both of you if possible.

20. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

See you tomorrow then.

Oilyvalves likes this.