1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Finally, some more news from the Severn Valley Railway about visitors for their autumn gala on 19-22 September! It's looking like there will be three of them, and partial information has been released. First, the definite visitor:

76017 BR Standard 4MT -- from the Mid Hants, making its first ever visit to the SVR.

Only slight clues have been released about the other two visitors. First, that both of them will also be making their SVR debuts. As for the rest... well, this is all we get.

xx0xx -- should be revealed "shortly".
    xxxxx -- should be revealed in early September.

That zero in the middle of the first number, together with the vaguely Southern Region theme of this gala, makes me suspect the visitor might be a Bulleid. Much as I'd love it to be a Merchant Navy like Clan Line, I suspect a West Country/Battle of Britain loco is considerably more likely. Of those currently operational, I can find just two which have never visited the SVR: 34046 Braunton (not sure if it's still disguised as 34052 Lord Dowding) and 34092 City of Wells.

As for the second... well, it's anybody's guess, except that a lot of locos are ruled out since they've been to the SVR before. It can't therefore be the T9, Royal Scot, Bahamas, Britannia, Flying Scotsman ( :p ), Union of South Africa (also :p), Cheltenham, Repton, Leander, Tornado, Duchess of Sutherland, 92212 or 92214, and that's just off the top of my head! Nor can it be a GWR loco as none have five-digit numbers.

So, what does that leave? I suppose it could be another BR 4 of the 80xxx run, since they haven't all been to the SVR. There are also several Black Fives that fit the bill, and that would be a popular choice as it's about ten years since any of the class have run here. Looking a bit bigger, the only operational 9F that hasn't visited is 92003 Black Prince. The B1 (61306) has never made it to the SVR. And for a real long-shot wildcard, there's 45699 Galatea.

Anyway, I fully expect to be proved utterly and totally wrong once the identities of these visitors are finally made public, but it's fun doing a bit of speculation! And at least we now have solid grounds for believing there'll be more than just the 4MT in attendance. :)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  2. Zenfox

Zenfox Southeastern Train Pone

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Okay, update on the SVR gala visitors! There will indeed be three of them, and they'll be:

BR Standard Class 4MT, no. 76017
    SR Q Class, no. 30541
    SR West Country Class, no. 34092 City of Wells

I'm satisfied with that trio, as I've never seen any of them running before. They're also all making their first appearance on the SVR.

The daytime home fleet will be drawn from: 1450, 2857, 4144, 6960 Raveningham Hall, 34027 Taw Valley, 43106 and 75069. The two pannier tanks (1501 and 7714) will operate overnight services.

My only real disappointment is the absence of the saddle tank (813) which is on hire to Beamish -- as it's so small, it doesn't haul regular service trains, so I only really get the opportunity at galas. Oh well; hopefully next spring.

More details and basic timetable available here:

https://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=100

Oilyvalves and Zenfox like this.
  4. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Today I went on a tour of the Alstom Maintenance facility in Widnes. They are currently refurbishing and repainting the class 390s (Thats nearly done now, ironically First/tren Italia take over the WCML in December when the refurbishment ends, so any recent ones are going out in Plain Silver) and class 175s. really interesting to see the units up close and with most of the paint stripped off.
    Looks like they will be building Hydrogen trains there in the not too distant future (and I think they have an eye on the site for HS2 production if they win the contract.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  5. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Some photos from this years Autumn Steam Gala at Severn Valley.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Zenfox

End of month plug time :p

This month saw the end of another workhorse of the rails, The class 313s out of Moorgate.
    Here is 313059 in it's final days: https://wrrailwayphotography.zenfolio.com/p1006041835/hd7970234#hd7970234

A class 717 'Airfix kit' follows to show the new order: https://wrrailwayphotography.zenfolio.com/p1006041835/hd7970234#hd79702c1

Other highlights 20 on the Met, class 442 drag and 975025 "Caroline" on the Goblin.

link: https://wrrailwayphotography.zenfolio.com/p1006041835

Comments are welcome :)

Oilyvalves and rdlover777 like this.
  7. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

I misread that as Airfix were making a Class 717 model kit

Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.
  8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

That would be in interesting development, Hornby entering the model railway kit market :0

Zenfox likes this.
  9. Zenfox

It's their nickname due to lack of paint :p

Wonderbolt likes this.
  10. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

well then, it appears Northern are using my Class 195 sprites on official handouts for the unit

Handout: [​IMG]

Sprite: [​IMG]

Side by side: [​IMG]

Oilyvalves likes this.
  11. Zenfox

looks like the ones of Wikipedia

12. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

thats because i made the ones on wikipedia

Capture.PNG

Oilyvalves and Zenfox like this.
  13. Zenfox

Do like the 195 'Spanish inquisitions' a updated NIR Class 3000.

14. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

meh, i prefer the 397s (what my avatar is) and the Greater Anglia FLIRTS

15. Zenfox

Don't mind the 397s. The flirts are meh. Am very much old school who like loco hauled and the older trains which work

Streamline likes this.
  16. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I went to the West Lancashire Light railway Gala today. If anyone is interested in seeing slightly more unusual Narrow Guage locos running this place is worth a visit. They have few European Steam designs and a few Internal combustion engines, many of which they were running today which was quite intresting.

Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.
  17. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Sorry it took a while, but here is my video from the Severn Valley Railway's Autumn Steam Gala, which I got to enjoy with @Loganberry and @Somerset Cider.

I should have a couple more videos coming soon from my other recent railway trips.

Loganberry, Somerset Cider and Zenfox like this.
  18. sten whik

sten whik Space

She's finished! I want to go back up north and play...

Wonderbolt and Zenfox like this.
  19. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

saw the pullman today heading coast bound at Chalk Pitt in Chatham, no idea if was a Belle or the Belmond since no headboard on the lead locomotive

[​IMG]

20. Zenfox

Would be the VSOE, the Northern Belle is worked by WCRC 47/57 not 67s

rdlover777 likes this.