1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Zenfox

Zenfox Southeastern Train Pone

After more than 40 years of service on the East Coast route, the age of the InterCity 125 High Speed Train has ended as the new satsuma trains gradually take over.
    To mark the end of an era, LNER restored an InterCity 125 set to its original British Rail livery to undertaking a special four-day tour around the LNER network. On day four the set heads south at Grantham with final trip to London from Leeds.

Photo: https://wrrailwayphotography.zenfolio.com/p1048263418/he07b1b5e#he07b1b5e

Oilyvalves likes this.
  2. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

Union of South Africa had a minor mishap today on the ELR

3. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Poor number 9's been having a rotten end to the year. A shame as it's running days are quite numbered now.

4. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

Blue Pullman banter
    London Midland Region Class 251-Class 261 Blue-White.png Western Region Class 251-Class 261 Blue-White.png
    London Midland Region Class 251-Class 261 Grey-Blue.png
    Western Region Class 251-Class 261 Grey-Blue.png

5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Had a quick flick through a copy of The Ones That Got Away recently. This is an interesting, albeit inevitably sadness-tinged, bookazine (in WH Smith now, I think) that looks at some of the things that weren't saved. In a few cases, they were rescued from places like Barry and then scrapped, although sometimes they were used as parts donors for classmates and so weren't simply discarded. In a few cases (eg the LNER P2) people are working to plug the gaps with new-builds, so it's not all doom and gloom. The bookazine is heavily orientated towards steam, but not entirely so -- the Blue Pullman is also included as not a single car of that was preserved. The below is an old pre-order link, but it gives a reasonable idea of the publication:

https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/8870/the-ones-that-got-away-preorder-now/

Oilyvalves likes this.
  6. Streamline

Streamline Habitual Pony

Finally completed all my training and passed my exams, so from now I'm officially a qualified train driver :D reckon I'll be out and about driving pacers just before they're all eventually phased out.

Wonderbolt and Oilyvalves like this.
  7. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

That’s a nice Hearth’s Warming present. Congrats!

Streamline likes this.
  8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I’ve started playing train simulator a lot lately and picked up loads of DLC in the steam sale! Really recommend having a go.

Zenfox likes this.
  9. Loganberry

Interesting editorial in The Railway Magazine this month, pointing to the gap between the rhetoric of "Putting passengers first" (Network Rail's current slogan) and the reality for a lot of passengers in 2019. I think there is a good chance that 2020 will be a better year on the whole, but the reasons for that aren't all ideal as many of the improvements should have been part of the 2019 package -- and some from even longer ago. Some of what follows was going to go on Twitter, but this is a more spacious and more appropriate forum.

* Too many high-profile projects are going over budget, schedule or both. Worcestershire Parkway station was originally supposed to open in 2017. It's still not open, and we still don't have a precise date. The new Kidderminster station was promoted as "summer/autumn 2019" and it's clearly still months away. Crossrail is... well, Crossrail. Many Pacers are still running in 2020, something that should not have happened. And so on.

* Related to the above, public information is not good enough. Take the Kidderminster development, since it's my local station. The county council's Latest News page was last updated in July! Meanwhile, GWR have been startlingly vague in explaining why Worcestershire Parkway has missed yet another planned opening date. Entirely unacceptable. We should have, at minimum, a brief online update every month or two, giving the current state of play and explaining the reasons for any significant delays. If the SVR can do that, then so can the big railway. As with train delays, passengers can accept things a lot better if we're kept in the loop -- not just told "It's late", but why, as well as what's being done about it.

* Fares. You knew this one was coming! :p "We're investing in your railway" has been so overused that it now comes across to many passengers like a meaningless buzzphrase, even when it's true. It's the same line trotted out at every annual fares increase, whether service has been good, bad or indifferent. A lot of fares are decided by government, and I would like them to come out and say, right now, "No, this time you can't rely on yet more passenger income. There will be a zero increase on regulated fares in January 2021." A one-year freeze, and not just for season ticket holders, would be a darn sight better for most of us than a few summer promotions, however fun those can be.

There are other things -- although I don't have specific knowledge of this, I've seen more than once that the bill for constructing a new unstaffed station on a suitable bit of existing line is often much higher than it really ought to be, meaning they don't get built.

And one that The RM also highlighted was the case of ticket acceptance on other services in the case of major problems. Sometimes it's taken two hours to inform passengers which other trains they can use -- and in one notable case the magazine mentioned, someone was told that to get south from Glasgow they'd have to travel via Newcastle, and then back to Carlisle (via Hexham I suppose), because ticket acceptance wasn't in place on another TOC's services via Dumfries. :confused:

As I said up top, I expect 2020 to be a better year for many of us. The two Worcestershire stations should be up and running, we should have heard some more about those new trains, the WMR timetable should be vaguely workable again, and so on. I think I might come back to this post in 12 months' time and see how the railway has done on the points I've mentioned. I would really love to be able to say, "Things are so much better now." :)

#2209 Loganberry, 6 January 2020
    Last edited: 6 January 2020
  10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Next weekend (the 25th & 26th Jan) is the Great Central Railway (Loughborough) Winter Steam Gala. I will be there on the Saturday, unless it’s forecast to absolutely chuck it down all day. I spoke to some of you last weekend about joining me. This isn’t an official meet-up, but the more the merrier.

Details of the event can be found here:
    http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/winter-steam-gala/

The timetable will be released probably in the week leading up to the event. Suffice to say there will be a very frequent service running all day.

Star guest loco is the LNER K1 class 62005, which normally runs up in Scotland. Also visiting is GWR ‘Pitchford Hall’ 4953, newly overhauled in BR Black.

Also running from the home fleet is another Hall, a 9F, 8F, Standard 5, Black 5, Standard 2MT, Ivatt 2MT and a Jinty. The event is always action packed, including demonstration freight trains and the ‘Travelling Post Office’.

If you’re coming by train, I’m happy to meet you at Loughborough main line station. It’s then a roughly 0.9 mile walk to the GCR, which shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes. People can advise me when they’d be planning to arrive. I’d suggest aiming for about 10:00.

If you’re coming by car, the easiest place to park is the large field adjacent to ‘Quorn and Woodhouse’ station. There’s a £3 charge for this. I can meet you at the station in this case.

If you come, I recommend bringing plenty of warm clothes as it gets very cold there, plus shoes that can get muddy.

#2210 Oilyvalves, 13 January 2020
    Last edited: 13 January 2020
    Zenfox, Loganberry and CuldeeFell like this.
  11. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I might or might not decide to come to this but I'm afraid I'm going to wait until the week before and see what the timetable and weather are both looking like before committing.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  12. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

No problem at all, I’ll be keeping an eye on the weather too. Fortunately, the price is the same on the day as in advance.

13. Loganberry

Most definitely interested in this, especially given both visitors are draws for me. :) I'm another one who'll want to save a final decision until we're a lot closer so I have a better idea of the weather on the day -- but it won't have to be great, just not miserably wet all day.
    Depends a bit on the GCR timetable when that's published. But NRE reckons I can get to Loughborough (NR) at 09:33 without any impossibly tight connections. So I'll use that as a general guide for now.
    If I can survive the 2018 SVR "Spring" Gala, I can survive pretty much any level of cold. ;)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  14. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

As with Logan, i am planning on being there and will make a weather based decision closer to the day.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  15. Loganberry

The GCR site has a couple of little updates:

1) They expect the first departure from Loughborough Central to be at 09:00 and the last at 16:45. From memory, I think that's pretty much how it was when I last attended a couple of years back.

2) There will be a free bus shuttle in operation between Loughborough NR and GCR stations. For some reason it doesn't run on Sunday, but that won't affect us. I'm happy to walk between the stations anyway, but I thought I might as well mention it.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/winter-steam-gala/

Oilyvalves likes this.
  16. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

That sounds similar to the last couple of years, yep. At one point they used to run later into the evening, but never mind. Like I said, we won’t be short of trains to catch during the day.

Indeed, it is an option if we fancy it. At previous events I’ve beaten it to the GCR ticket office, although admittedly I walk very fast on my own!

17. Loganberry

No TPO display this time, apparently -- temp speed restriction near Quorn makes it impossible: http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/winter-steam-gala/

A bit of a shame given the uniqueness and the associated higher-speed running, but at least they'll be running other trains in the relevant paths. It's not going to have a bearing on whether I come along -- that really is down to the weather now. Still looking forward to it! :)

18. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Well, that kinda sucks. But never mind. At least we’ll have a bit more freedom to go wherever throughout the day.

19. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Just to let you guys know, I've decided I won't be coming to this next Saturday (a family thing has cropped up). Enjoy the day though!

20. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

No probs, maybe another time!

CuldeeFell likes this.