1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

The GCR gala timetable is now up:
    http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/winter-steam-gala/

This doesn’t include freight trains, which will be in the working timetable on the day. Something I was hoping for is happening; they’re double-heading the 2 Halls :D. The class 5s and class 2s are also double heading for that matter.

Loganberry likes this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

That looks like quite an appealing and varied timetable, actually. :) Double-headed Halls are definitely something I would like to see, so delighted they're going for that! I'd like to get at least a brief ride behind the K1 at some point, as that's not something I've ever managed, but beyond that I don't have especially strong feelings so I'm happy to play things by ear on the day. :)

(On which note: it increasingly looks as though the weather will be in the "meh" category on Saturday, rather than terrible or glorious. And "meh" is good enough for me. So barring my health or the rail network falling apart, I'm now definitely planning on coming.)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  3. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Looking forward to tomorrow. @Somerset Cider will you be joining us? If so, what time place would you like to meet at?

@Loganberry and I will be meeting at Loughborough mainline station at about 09:30, before heading over to the GCR. We should easily make the 10:15 departure from Loughborough Central.

4. Somerset Cider

Somerset Cider Old Pony

Yes. I will be there. Shall be heading to Quorn and Woodhouse (I think that's right) to park and am aiming to get there around 9.30.

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Excellent! Yes, Quorn’s the place to park. You can catch the 09:58 train up to Loughborough to meet us if you want, or we can see you at Quorn.

One thing to consider; the 10:15 from Loughborough continues on to Swithland sidings, where it waits in the loop while the 2 halls pass in opposite directions on the main lines (within minutes of each other).

6. Loganberry

Found a list of loco directions, which should be handy for photography -- hopefully it'll prove reasonably accurate! I don't imagine we'll get to see all of these engines during our visit tomorrow, but I've included all the info I've got:

Facing North (towards Loughborough)
    46521 (Ivatt 2)
    48305 (8F)
    78018 (BR 2MT)

Facing South (towards Leicester)

4953 Pitchford Hall
    6990 Witherslack Hall
    45305 (Black 5)
    47406 (Jinty)
    62005 (K1)
    73156 (Standard 5)
    92214 (9F)

Oilyvalves and Somerset Cider like this.
  7. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Enjoy your training, folks (@:

8. Zenfox

Zenfox Southeastern Train Pone

9. Loganberry

On Saturday I was at the Great Central Railway's winter gala along with @Oilyvalves and @Somerset Cider and it was a very good day. I hadn't managed to make this gala for a few years, so I was very pleased to do so this time. There were some major delays towards the end of the day, but until then things were excellent. I'm certainly very happy to have made it there this time! Here are a few photos for you. :)

6990_Quorn.jpg
    45305 and 73156 Quorn.jpg
    48305.jpg
    62005_LeicesterN.jpg
    92214_Loughborough_bw.jpg

Somerset Cider, Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.
  10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Aye, it was a very enjoyable day. Some excellent shots you've captured there! The highlight of the day for me was the Black 5 and Standard 5 double heading out of Quorn. The noise they made was fantastic.

Loganberry likes this.
  11. Loganberry

Thank you for the kind words on my photos! :) In terms of steam, the double-headed Halls were definitely the biggest highlight for me. Okay, I have a slight GWR bias, but I can't even remember when (or if!) I last saw two Halls in tandem. And they made a very fine sight leaving Loughborough. (I didn't get quite such a good shot of those, hence their absence from the selection above.) Other highlights for me included the Fives as you mention, the 9F at the start of the day, the potter around the engine shed... and of course the on-board food! ;) Of course, it wouldn't have been half as much fun if you and Somerset hadn't been there as well!

But against all my earlier expectations, the actual highlight of the day was something that was diesel-powered: the NER railcar. I know it's changed engines about four times since it was built, but I still found it fascinating and was delighted to have a ride on it. I didn't get a very good photo of it as it was getting dark by the time I travelled, but fortunately the GCR's Twitter has me covered! :)

Somerset Cider and Oilyvalves like this.
  12. Wessexbrony

Wessexbrony UKoE resident Victor Meldrew

The full lineup for the Bluebell Railway's branch line weekend has been announced:

Visiting:

Home Fleet:

I'll be there on the Friday. In addition, I plan to attend the Severn Valley Railway 50th anniversary gala in May.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.
  13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Loganberry and Zenfox like this.
  14. Loganberry

I know I've already said something similar elsewhere, but that one of the Halls is just fantastic. :D Thanks for taking Somerset and me round to that bridge -- I at least would never have known about it otherwise!

Oilyvalves likes this.
  15. sten whik

sten whik Space

Thought I'd mention Humble Bundle is doing a Train Simulator 2020 + 16 DLC bundle for $12 USD.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/games/train-simulator
    If you've never heard of this "game" before, it's noteworthy alone for having 560 DLC totalling over £6500.

16. Loganberry

Here's a photo I took today of LNER Class A4 locomotive 60009 Union of South Africa arriving into Worcester Shrub Hill, for what will almost certainly be its last ever visit to the city. (The loco is being retired from active duties in the spring.)

60009_Shrub_Hill.jpg

17. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

That's a long train, was it full of passengers?

18. Loganberry

Yes, Worcester was the destination of a railtour from London, returning in the late afternoon. There were certainly plenty of people travelling... and even more watching!

19. rdlover777

rdlover777 Artist

20. sten whik

sten whik Space

Train!!!

Tip: Use smoothing groups :p

rdlover777 likes this.