1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Very nice.

Any idea when the '38 stock stops running? I may have to make a trip there before that day happens.

Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

To my considerable surprise, the Great Central Railway is still advertising an autumn gala for early October:

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/autumn-steam-gala/

I wonder whether this will go ahead? I'm racking my brain trying to work out how social distancing could work for a gala. Sure the GCR could severely limit the numbers of tickets sold, but would the event be viable then? Requiring everyone to book in advance wouldn't be an impossible problem since most gala attendees plan it in advance anyway. The big difficulty for me would be keeping people apart at the place. Requiring visitors to book on specific services would (for me anyway) change the feel so much that it wouldn't really be a gala in the usual sense.

3. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

If I had to guess, no-one’s bothered to update that page of the website since the beginning of the year.

4. Loganberry

Have a Bulleid. This is 34027 Taw Valley approaching the Northwood Lane foot crossing with a southbound passenger service this morning.

34027_Northwood_20200821.jpg

Zenfox, CuldeeFell and Oilyvalves like this.
  5. Zenfox

Zenfox Southeastern Train Pone

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  6. Zenfox

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  7. Loganberry

You astound me. :p

Nice photos as usual. :) Good to see a 37 in the mix, too. Amazing to think that class first entered service with BR before the Beeching report came out. In fact, if Wikipedia is to be believed (I know, I know) the 60th anniversary of the first 37 going into service will be on 2nd December. I am, as you probably already know, a bit of a 37 fan. :)

Oilyvalves and Zenfox like this.
  8. Zenfox

I do indeed :p although am more of a Duff fan (class 47) you can't go wrong with a good loud class 37:p
    They have stood the test of time although their time on the mainline is numbered as in a few years the only time you see a 37 is on a charter or at a gala. Was lucky a few years ago to travel behind one of the first of the class on the Mid Norfolk

Loganberry likes this.
  9. Zenfox

Thought I once more share how we are doing on the rails in the South East. Both the morning and evening peaks we see a few hundred mainly builders, NHS staff and store workers. The main problem we have since the second lockdown is youngsters in large groups travelling up to London without tickets and damaging our gates as well as giving us abuse. Both myself and a colleague have been on the end of some nasty stuff which I won't post.

We are holding our own with staff off sick and that while both Charing Cross and London Bridge stations are borderline staffing level. Me and my new gateline colleagues will keep doing what we do but we are a breaking point.

10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Really sorry to hear that Zen. Know that you're not alone and that in following the Covid rules you're doing the right thing.

11. Loganberry

Just echoing CuldeeFell on this, Zen. A lot of us out here, even those like me who aren't using the railways at all at the moment, massively admire what you're managing under incredibly difficult circumstances.

Zenfox and Blissful690 like this.