1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Zenfox

Zenfox Southeastern Train Pone

CuldeeFell, Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Hey look, it's finally the SVR Autumn Gala report I told some of you I'd write, um, a few days ago!

Anyway, I went to the SVR's Autumn Steam Gala on 17th Sep, the Friday of its long weekend. My first railway gala since the GCR in January 2020, and my first time on the SVR at all in two years. The original setup involved sitting in an assigned seat all day, but with Covid rules relaxing in England this was changed to a traditional "hop on and off as you like" service. I was very pleased that was possible. The whole experience was near-normal: you certainly didn't have to wait for staff to operate doors etc.

Numbers were well down on 2019, but this made it very comfortable with seats always available -- though trains were well filled in the afternoon and early evening. Admittedly the SVR's coffers may not swell as much as they'd like, but having a First Class compartment to myself once or twice was bliss. I was even able to do a bit of window-hanging in the morning! A really good run all the way from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth behind BR Standard 4MT 75069 to start off with.

A busy scene at Arley with Foremarke Hall arriving (right)
    SVRASG1.jpg

Since the refreshment room at Bridgnorth was busy, I walked into the town and had a Spoons breakfast. Then a quick trip to Sainsbury's to get a snack. High class living! ;) Then back to the station in time for a pleasant run south to Highley behind GWR 2857 -- now 103 years old! I nipped to the Engine House balcony in order to see the double-header come by... but it wasn't, as sadly 813 had failed early on. A real shame, as the little saddle tank doesn't haul many public passenger trains.

The weather was okay, so I decided to head for Arley next. This allowed me to travel behind guest star 4953 Foremarke Hall. This had been at the aforementioned GCR gala, so it was a nice "before and after" bookend. The loco looked lovely, and unsurprisingly it had no trouble at all with the load. In the sidings at Arley was the unusual sight of a couple of HST power cars, ex-EMR and stabled here before moving on to their new owners. They actually didn't look that much out of place here!

Pannier 7714 leaving Bewdley with the local goods train
    SVRASG2.jpg

Next, to Bewdley! This leg was handled by SR West Country Class 34027 Taw Valley, which AFAIK ran perfectly all day without breaking sweat. I actually had to share a compartment by this time. :p Catering was a slight problem this gala, with only the pubs continuing past late afternoon, but at least I had time for a muffin in the basic Bewdley refreshment room. On emerging from there, I also managed to catch sight of GWR/BR Pannier 1501 departing with a local goods service to Kidderminster.

Which is where I was heading myself, with another GWR Pannier: visiting 94XX Class loco no. 9466. The elephants seem to have moved elsewhwere at the Safari Park: it was camels I saw out of the window this time! Although my ticket was valid until the end of daytime services (8:30) I was fairly tired by now as I'd got out of practice with galas. So after a poke around Kidderminster concourse, I decided to have just one more out-and-back trip to Highley before heading home.

Quite a meeting of generations here!
    SVRASG3.jpg

The northbound leg was handled smoothly by Taw Valley, and I was very pleased that going home from Highley to Bewdley was with Foremarke Hall, as I always like to end a gala day with an interesting engine in charge. The light was just starting to go by the time I reached Bewdley at 6:20. Maybe a few minutes later, I can't remember, but despite the mishap to 813 early on the timetable hadn't slipped by more than about 15-20 minutes all day, which isn't bad for a gala.

I really enjoyed my day, and window-hanging home with the Hall didn't harm that any. (Another compartment to myself, but only Third Class this time.) Interestingly, mask wearing (which was optional) fell off a lot as the day went on, but with all the train windows open and so much space available I didn't think that was unreasonable, and it didn't bother me. I hope the SVR got enough out of this gala for there to be a spring 2022 event, and of course another autumn gala in a year's time. :)

An unusual gala sight: bikes being loaded into the guard's van
    SVRASG4.jpg

Zenfox, janglehooves and Oilyvalves like this.
  4. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

In the last couple of weeks, I've visited some Autumn steam galas.

The first was the Great Central Railway's gala (my 'home' railway) on Sunday 3rd October. I had planned to go on the Saturday, but that ended up being a wash-out. Thankfully the Sunday was quite pleasant. Guests locos were the sole-surviving single-chimney 9F 92134, and GWR 2-8-0 3802. The railway is already home to BR Green 9F 92214, leading to quite the spectacle scene below.

More pics here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/technoandrew/albums/72157720045555925

[​IMG]

My second trip last weekend was a return to the Bluebell Railway for their 'Giants of Steam' event on Saturday 9th October. I went with my parents as a belated birthday treat, and we were lucky to have lovely weather. Starring guests locos were Merchant Navy Class 35028 'Clan Line' and Schools Class 30925 'Cheltenham'.

Pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/technoandrew/albums/72157720031344014

[​IMG]

#2304 Oilyvalves, 17 October 2021
    Last edited: 17 October 2021
    CuldeeFell, Zenfox and Loganberry like this.
  5. Zenfox

Zenfox Southeastern Train Pone

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I am shocked! Shocked, I tells ya! :p

Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.
  7. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

My latest video is out, documenting my trip to the Great Central Railway's Bonfire Night last week:

(Warning: Flashing Images. If you need to avoid that, skip passed the fireworks bit)

Loganberry likes this.
  8. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Another new video, filmed today!

I went to see a couple of steam railtours, which involved the steep 'Lickey Incline' near Birmingham.

Loganberry likes this.