1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Wessexbrony

Wessexbrony UKoE resident Victor Meldrew

TBH, I've found it rather disappointing. The HST brakes apply too quickly and release too slowly, but hopefully the Armstrong Powerhouse will work its magic once the 91+Mk4 set is released. WCML over Shap is coming soon, though.

2. Little Phantomhive

Little Phantomhive Recognised Pony

I didn't want to start a new thread for this question and you guys seem to ride the trains a lot so could you help me out a little?

Ive never used a metro card on the rail system before, do you guys know how I go about using it at the train station? I thought you need a ticket to get through the barriers.

3. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

Presuming you mean for the Tyne & Wear Metro?

4. Little Phantomhive

Little Phantomhive Recognised Pony

I mean around the Leeds area. I have a student pass for trains and buses. I get the buses part but how do I get passed the barriers at the station without having a ticket? Ive never used one before.

5. mattyhex

mattyhex Fwuffy Cheetah

If it has a magnetic strip on the back, you could probably try using it in the barriers.

Otherwise I'm guessing you'll need to show it to one of the guards working on the barriers.

6. Aurum Noble

Aurum Noble Ferroequinologist

You might want to check out the WYPTE (Metro) website for more information.

7. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I don't live in W Yorks, but we have a similar thing in the W Midlands -- there's a day pass called the Daytripper that you can either buy at stations (in which case it's like a rail ticket, so works the station barriers) or on buses (in which case it's like a bus ticket, so doesn't). If you have a version that doesn't work the barriers, you show it to someone at the staffed barrier (usually the wide one) and they can use their own staff pass to open the gate for you. I'd imagine the same thing would be true for Leeds.

(This thread is absolutely fine for questions like that, incidentally.)

8. Aurum Noble

Aurum Noble Ferroequinologist

It's all about trains and rail transport, so anything goes :)

9. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Another option is that it's contactless using a system like London's Oyster card or whatever. In which case you may need to load money on to it in order to use it. There are pay as you go student fare cards like that around the world notably the Student Oyster and Student Leap (Dublin's equivalent) which depending on where you are may also provide discount fares on services not using the PAYG system.

10. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

So this was apparently at Victoria today. Cannae believe I missed it.
    [​IMG]

11. Dash

Dash Well played Fluttershy, well played.

A week late, but just as a normal ticket. If you've bought it from a rail station, just put it through the barriers. If it's from the Post Office/Bus station, just show it to the barrier staff. On train just show the conductor as you would on the bus. Be aware of the zones unless it's a student plus or zones 1-5.

Incidentally, they're introducing smartcards next year http://www.m-card.co.uk/home/

12. electrokitty

electrokitty Coffee Enthusiast

Couple of photos from my trip to yesterday's Worcester meet. It was a severely delayed 158 from Brighton on the way up and in the end was about 35 minutes late. However, when stopped near abbotswood junction just off of the mainline towards Worcester waiting for another train to pass, it gave me the opportunity to get this photo. Didn't know they were even still in use on NR services, but there we go, and old semaphore signal! I watched it operating as well. I've seen them before but only on heritage rail lines. Was a little bizarre to see one in service and allowing a modern high speed train past.
    IMG_20140205_144518.jpg

After the massive delays, they decided to terminate the train early at Worcester Shrub Hill, and announced that there would be another train at platform 1B continuing to Great Malvern where the terminating service was due. We arrived about 5 minutes after when they said the connecting service was due to leave, but I guess they decided to hold that service at Shrub Hill presumably because there wasn't another to Great Malvern for a while. I was just planning on walking to Foregate Street as it wasn't far, but ended up getting on the connecting service, which was a FGW 180.

Having not been on one before I was quite amazed by everything. It really did feel much better than HSTs. The interior was clean, spacious, new and modern, Free WiFi onboard and automatic doors! It was amazingly smooth as well, and the engine noise was barely perceivable. It really did just glide along, and comparable to what you'd expect with Virgin Trains or something. It was by far the best journey I've ever had with First Great Western. All two minutes I was on it :p

They really should have replaced their HST fleet with them back when they were still making the things, or at least bought more than 5. I'd genuinely consider travelling with First a lot more if they used them rather than avoiding them like the plague. I got a quick photo of the interior, although the shutter lagged because phone camera so sorry it's a bit blurry.
    IMG_20140205_145527.jpg

Aurum Noble and PinkiusPieakus like this.
  13. Centurion

Centurion Honorary Pony

I saw semaphore signals on the branch line between Aberdeen and Inverness being used when I went to Scotland last month.

14. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

There's semaphore used on certain sections of the NI Railways network between Colraine and Portrush as well as rail sidings mostly used by heritage at main stations.

15. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

I do believe they are still plentiful in Shrewsbury station and the junction where lines head off to Aberystwyth and Telford.
    Maybe NR are in the mindset that they still perform their purpose very well so there is no hurry to replace them. Must not have been difficult to wire them up to AWS.

16. cool110

cool110 ⏏⋈♻✇✐

While we're on the subject of signalling there's a couple of strange things around here 1 NR, 1 heritage.

On the Ormskirk branch line trains still stop at Midge Hall even though the station closed in 1961 because it used to change between single and double track. Now it's single all the way but only the section between Preston and the level crossing has track circuits so the crossing gets blocked while the token exchanges takes place. (Interestingly one side of the crossing is colour light while the other is semaphore.)

The Ribble Steam Railway is a bit more unusual in that it goes over a swing bridge so it looks more like a tram line than the freight route is actually is.
    EDIT: How did I forget that the signalbox at RSR is in the pyramid.

#736 cool110, 6 February 2014
    Last edited: 6 February 2014
  17. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

I think it's Brentwood that has the odd mixture of LUL trains on some platforms, and on the others NR services being controlled by LQ semaphores.

The Marchwood branch is still on semaphores, but that's a freight line.
    The Arun Valley is still on them, and there was a RAIB bulletin on drivers misreading stop over distants (and improper bellcodes between 'boxes) near the end of last year brought on by a SPAD somewhere Oop Norf.

18. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

Nop
    Brentwood is only served by GA

19. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

Greenford. Not sure when I got Brentwood from.

20. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Yep: it's still semaphore all the way from Droitwich to Hereford, and will probably remain so for some years yet. Even Kidderminster only changed over to colour lights a few years ago. Next time I have a bit of spare time and there's good weather (hah) I might take a few photos along the route to Worcester and post them here.