1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

>worse pony

hahahahahaha

i'm sorry

what

2. HappyGoLuckyPone

HappyGoLuckyPone Shocked and appalled!

Nope
    Rule 8: its my railway Ill do as I please

3. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

IBISIRAIL: I built it so I'll run anything I like.

Tibbs likes this.
  4. Aurum Noble

Aurum Noble Ferroequinologist

Yesterday, I rode on a Class 458 Juniper for the first time, and I have to say they're definitely a lot better than the Class 450 or 444 Desiros that run on the rest of the South West Trains network. Back in the days (as in the early post-privatisation era) of slam-door stock and Wessex Electrics, before they moved to Darth Vader land to work the Gatwick Expresses, I've always wanted to ride the Junipers as they were brand new and revolutionary. It was a terrible shame they suffered from a lot of teething problems which were common with the Alstom-built rolling stock in the early 2000s, because they were going to be the SWT fleet standard, and the aforementioned issues resulted in them turning to Siemens instead for new rolling stock, thus resulting in the Desiros.

SWT were going to get rid of them entirely, but instead they confined them to the Reading-Waterloo services, and suddenly their reliability improved and thus they finally entered squadron service. Now they're going to be combined with the ex-Gatwick Darth Vaders to form 5-coach 458/5s, and they'll be moving away from Reading when all the units are converted, being replaced by the Blue Desiros.

5. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I was initially confused as Desiro Classics are what I was thinking of rather than the stuff you're talking about.

Anyway, you were talking about the slam door stuff? You'll never guess where they are now! The rolling stock was re-gauged and slightly reliveried (change of colour and logo) and put to use in Northern Ireland as a long distance express train set serving Belfast-Derry/Londonderry or Belfast-Newry. The sets were pulled by diesel mechanical locos which NIR have had since the 1970s.
    After 3 months of use NIR found that they were miss sold stock they was claimed to be fully functional. As a result Translink have taken legal action against the companies which have taken the over the Gatwick route ever since privatisation which means that they have to start over again when the Gatwick route is served by yet another company.

NIR have 2 train sets they can't use and haven't used in 15 years and even if Translink finally get a settlement, the only use the Gatwick Stock will be is to scrap them and use whatever money to upgrade existing infrastructure or stock.

6. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

why not just take legal action against the dft instead in lieu of the GatEx toc

7. Aurum Noble

It was Porterbrook's call.

8. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

That's the thing. They were sold the stock after privatisation. So while the deal was negotiated with BR, the company that took the assets of the Gatwick line made the transaction. That company defended itself by claiming that they weren't responsible for the deal, thus Translink took legal action.

9. Aurum Noble

I was on about the Class 460s that took over from the former converted Mk2F coaches that were later transferred to Northern Ireland. The 460s were nicknamed 'Darth Vaders' due to their nose fairings, which gave them a distinctive look.

10. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Nonetheless you mentioned them. Anyway, the last few train sets that NIR have acquired are the CAF 3k and 4k DMUs in between 2008 and 2011, General Electric diesel electric locos and the same spec as the Eurostar's DeDietrich coaches and driving cab in 1995, and even before that the BREL Class 350s (which I've mentioned before) some time in the late 80s I think. The Gatwick Stock was meant to upgrade the rolling stock NIR had before the 350s came in. Before that we had really awful NIR Class 450s which were so loud the drivers had to wear noise muffling guards. The inside was quiet enough when moving but that was because there was soundproofing carried out.

11. Solar Wind

Solar Wind Bring back Robot Wars

When I got back from London yesterday, you'll never guess what I saw just parked at Woking station. Not one but 2 class 37s.

janglehooves likes this.
  12. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

@Chloe Is this similar to what I missed at Victoria the other week?
    Saw it yesterday on the way up to my parents Near Wolverhampton.
    IMG_4264.jpg

13. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

Aye. Except the train was a bit more steam-shaped.

14. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Looking closely at the livery of the locomotive, its a cargo diesel electric. That means that its probably being hauled to where there is a steam locomotive or where there is a heritage railway as often these English preservation societies don't do coaches. Instead they end up sending old stuff somewhere else. RPSI (Rail Protection Society of Ireland) end up renovating stuff for England especially at the Northern Ireland headquarters and refurbishment shed in Whitehead just 5 minutes by car from where I live. Usually they don't need to reguage the coach or locomotive if its not something they need to test on track here. Instead they let it sit on some grooves in the concrete which allows standard gauge. It can cause some trouble transporting it as it needs to come up by lorry. Usually the lorry has to get a ferry over to Dublin as the ships are bigger.

15. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

No it's definitely a 47 for the sake of a 47 because that's what WCRC, VSOE etc use

16. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I had a look at what "Direct Rail Services" do. They offer cargo services across the UK and also offer their locomotives for use in the event alternate stock has to be used. I'm surprised they haven't gone bust or have been bought out by Deutsche Bundesbahn and their stock absorbed as part of DB Schenker Rail UK. It happened to EWS and also a few other smaller companies. DB are looking to buy a lot of other profitable rail companies across the UK. They already own ScotRail, all of Arriva globally and some other smaller ones in England and Wales. In addition, DB are interested in buying Northern Ireland Railways (including their part of the Enterprise service) and Goldline (coaches). There's further interest in buying some of Stagecoach and First but the Competition Regulatory Board has blocked most of DB's intentions to do so including a bid to buy all of Eurostar and the Eurotunnel. With the way DB is going they'll have every train in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Sodor as part of DB's empire!

17. Aurum Noble

The Bundesbahn hasn't existed since 1994, because they merged with the former East German Deutsche Reichsbahn (DR), although the present-day Deutsche Bahn retains the Bundesbahn's initials.

Also, ScotRail is actually operated by FirstGroup, a Scottish transport company, not Arriva.

18. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I could have sworn it was DB/Arriva...

Anyway, Chiltern, Grand Central, CrossCountry, London Overground and Tyne and Wear are all owned by Arriva which is DB. Thalys the Belgian intercity service between France, Belgium and Germany is part owned by DB.

And then you look at services in Europe. DB operate as DB or Arriva in Czech Republic, Poland, France, Austria, Italy, and Denmark as private owned commuter rail and not intercity or cross boarder ones exclusively.

DB are really starting to take over Europe's transport. The likes of SNCF won't be bought anytime soon, but they are getting a run for their money in other enterprises.

19. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

your point
    Indeed they are
    SNCF and other such state owned railways are also branching out, though not in quite such a big way
    giving the irony that other governments can bid to run our railways but we can't

20. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Imagine a completely nationalised railway (including NI) that's owned by the German government... I think I would be overjoyed.