1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I've been meaning to upload these for a while but not got round to it. I few picks from my trip to the NRM earlier this month,

A nice Class 31 ("Skinhead" version)
    [​IMG]Class 31 by Mark Swift, on Flickr
    Class 373 Eurostar (Younger than me and one of the finest Electrics in Europe its a shame they are being scrapped and replaced by Siemens tat)
    [​IMG]Eurostar Class 373 by Mark Swift, on Flickr
    LNER A4 Mallard
    [​IMG]LNER Class A4 Mallard by Mark Swift, on Flickr
    and my favourite exhibit at the museum the Series 0 Shinkansen
    [​IMG]Shinkansen series 0 by Mark Swift, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Shinkansen series 0 by Mark Swift, on Flickr

Rest of the album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157681195876455

2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Nice photos. I'm glad they've saved at least one 373 driving car for the national collection.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  3. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I've not been on a 373 (though that will change next week), but I was dissapointed when I read that all the Eurostar trains from Brussels Midi were 373s and not the Velaro D (e320, no idea about rail class).

I'm not in a region of Germany where the Velaro D (Baureihe 407) is in use but I have to say that Siemens does not produce bad trains, in fact I would suggest that Siemens makes some of the best trainsets out there. Having traveled on the Baureihe 411/415 (ICE-T) and the Baureihe 403/406 (ICE 3) I have to say that these multiple units are some of the best I've seen around. While the bodies of both are built by Bombardier (and the bogies of the ICE-T are built by Alstom for patent reasons), the traction is all Siemens and for the speeds both can achieve as well as the interiors, I have to say they are great trains.

4. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Siemons don't make bad trains, like you say quite the opposite, they just make boring ones using the similar design principles. The new Eurostar doesn't look much different to ICE trains now (I think Renfe and China use the same design?) The 373 had a wow factor with its fancy TGV design something the new off the shelf Siemens design lacks.

5. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I think the similar design principles are what makes the Siemens Velaro a product that's successful and popular.

The Velaro was initially intended as the the solution to having a trainset capable of 320 km/h in revenue service. Most of the purpose was to be used on the new 300 and 320 km/h high speed lines in Germany, or "Neubaustrecken". The train was developed by Siemens and Bombardier and they made the Intercity Express 3 with the class numbers 403 and 406. The 403 is a domestic train with the ability to only run on the German, Austrian and Swiss electrification and train protection systems while the 406 is capable of running on several electrification systems as well as using the signalling for the Dutch and French systems. Since the German high speed lines are only rated safe for 300 km/h, the 320 km/h is only possible on the LGV Est.

Renfe then ordered the Velaro as a trainset for a new standard gauge high speed line, and they were sold the Velaro E. It was given the class number 103 also set the speed record for an unmodified train at 403 km/h. Previous TGV, ICE and Shinkansen records were made with shortened and modified trainsets.

The China Railways then ordered what was in effect the same trains but with interiors to fit inside more passengers. The train was classified as the Velaro CN by Siemens and the CRH3 by the China Railways. I understand retrofitting and replacement is currently being considered by China Railways, changing of the body and electric drive by Hitachi is on the cards, while a total replacement with Hitachi trains might also be considered.

The Russian Railways also has some Velaro sets as the Velaro RUS. Called the Sapsan in Russia, it's Russian gauge and the two varients can either run on only the Moscow-St. Petersburg high speed line or both that line and the rest of the Russian network. There are considerations to replace the trainsets with Talgo multiple units, though those units will need additional locomotives.

The Velaro was also redesigned for Deutsche Bahn for a new order of more trains to fit into more international services while the older trains are moved into newer high speed lines being built in Germany. As Velaro D, the trains feature the same basic specifications as the Velaro, but with more efficiency and a few improvements.

The Velaro e320 was what Eurostar wanted to replace the Class 373 for French serices and new services to Amsterdam. Classed as the 374, the Velaro e320 is actually made by Alstom in France, though I understand they're using Siemens traction. The Velaro e320 also has modifications to the set for compliance in the Eurotunnel and possible use on Network Rail. The modifications for the e320 are not on the Velaro D, which is what Deutsche Bahn want to use for their service on the London-Frankfurt a.M. service (when they finally get through the paperwork for that).

The Velaro TR is the version for Turkey for the two new Turkish high speed lines. The prototype, which is in service is a modified Velaro D but the rest of the fleet are Velaro TRs which are only capable of 300 km/h. They're classed as HT80000 by the Turkish State Railways and the numbering is 80001 (the Velaro D), and 80101 onwards (the Velaro TR).

With seven orders from 6 rail operators, I would describe the Velaro as one of the most successful trainsets out there, perhaps one of the best. It's certainly there with the Hitachi A Train, and I would even go as far as to say that the Velaro sets are proof that an EMU set can beat the TGV style sets in terms of practicality. Of course, Alstom could turn around and make a good AGV, but with few orders, I have to say I have confidence in the Velaro.

6. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

A successful off the shelf product very much like the A train. But both fail the capture the imagination in the same way a unique design would, there a bit like the class 66 of high speed emus.
    In all honesty am kind of biased against them as I've always been indifferent to the ICE high speed concept favouring the Shinkansen and TGV designs and consepts

7. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I guess we'll wait and see what HS2 has in store for us (eventually).

8. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

In terms of unique design, there is something to be said on that front, but then you would have to consider what else really makes unique design. I personally prefer multiple unit sets over the power car design of the TGV. And there's something off about the modern Shinkansen trains in terms of how they look with their elongated ends. I must say that the trainsets I most like the look of are the ICE T (BR 411 and 415) sets. While they're not the fastest at about 230 km/h as top speed, they most certainly have what I would describe as the looks of a train that inspires. And while the Alstom tilting technologies can be found on pendolinos everwhere, including the class 390s, I think the Siemens traction (and the electric noise from moving off) combined with some more of the Siemens design qualities just makes the ICE T a unique German pendolino.

What is it about the ICE that you find lacklustre when compared to the TGV or Shinkansen?

9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I've always felt that the ICE system lacks that super acceleration and deceleration of Shinkansen and the 100% safety record Shinkansen holds. TGVs are super fast in terms of top speed.
    ICE just seems to conservative in is design principles to, nearly all the Shinkansens have good and interesting designs (bar the 100, 200 and E7\W7 which are quite conservative) whist the TGV scream speed and power (plus having a traditional driving car at each end is something i like).
    I don't like Pendolinos either they are to much of make do and mend solution.

10. Zenfox

Zenfox Pony

MTR, which runs the Hong Kong Metro, has been awarded the SWT franchise along with First Group. Now anything with First won't work.

11. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I grew up living in the region with Stagecoach. This is certainly an interesting development.

12. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Another hand out for first =P
    I think they should limit it to one franchise per company. The situation were Virgin now have a monopoly on London Scotland services is a joke. especially considering the concept of Franchised privatisation was to promote competition.

13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

East coast is 90% Stagecoach, remember.

14. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

West coast is 49% Stagecoach stake so it's a similar setup I would imagine.

15. Zenfox

Zenfox Pony

Am calling now it from September people be calling for its head cos they be the next strike hit lot

16. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

At long last, here are a few of my photos from the SVR gala a week and a half ago. All these are from the Friday; I'll post a few from the Saturday in a few days' time. I intend to upload quite a few more photos from the gala to my DeviantArt over the coming days and weeks, so what you see in this and the next post will be just a taster. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

(NB: I haven't forgotten what I said in the last post. It's just taking longer than I expected!)

Anyway, something more important: last night, 60163 Tornado became the first steam loco to (officially) record 100 mph in Britain in half a century:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/new...-hits-100mph-secret-test-run-east-coast-main/

This was happening because the owners want permission for regular 90 mph running in the future, and the run was testing a 10% tolerance -- which makes 99 mph, so why not push it one more, eh? ;)

daisyd, Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.
  18. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Wow!

19. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

Ton-up Tornado! More kudos to the A1 Trust, they've done an amazing job. Best quote from the article: "For the moment, all this does is allow us to say ‘Yay!’" Ponies invading your trains...:)

Loganberry likes this.
  20. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

For those who like vintage diesels, a little bit of sad news.

Chiltern have announced that they are retiring their 121 'bubblecar' units from passenger service. It's due to difficulties in finding or making replacement parts for them. Not surprising really, they're in excess of 50 years old, the only vacuum braked trains stil being used anywhere on UK main liines.

The last date they will be running is Friday May 19th. They cover the branch line route from Aylesbury to Princes Risborough, Monday to Fridays in peak times, and there are plans to have a send off of some kind on that Friday. I plan to be there *nod*