1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Trains!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Aurum Noble, 1 July 2012.

1. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Forgive me.. I'm confused? :confused:

2. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Having The Pantograph looks better

3. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

In the case of the guy next to me, he meant that the 68s looked like they'd been thrown together. The 88s looked like an actual designer had been let near them. Personally I don't mind 68s too much, but having seen an 88 in the metal I do like it more.

4. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

OK, thanks for the clarification.

The reason I was confused; apart from the extra kit on the roof and the numbers, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I've only seen the 68s in the metal, but they've honestly looked like rather smart packages to me.

Train aesthetics isn't my area of expertise.

5. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

Well, I thought I'd share some photos from the SVR diesel gala festival. It was certainly a good three days, if a little busy (good for the SVR, no so good for photography!).
    Once again there was a good lineup of locos including Class 52 D1062 Western Courier looking very smart in blue:
    [​IMG]

47828 also looked smart in a fresh new Intercity paintjob:
    [​IMG]

There were a couple of peaks; 45041 seen here at Kidderminster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and 45060 seen here at Kidderminster station, the diesel depot at Kidderminster and in the rain at Bridgnorth:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Speaking of rain, we had some weather (this was just south of Hampton Loade):
    [​IMG]
    Class 50s were well represented with D407 Hercules seen here Kidderminster, 50008 Thunderer seen here at Bewdley, 50031Hood in its Intercity livery and 50049 Defiance smoking everyone out at Kidderminster :):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spookily, we had 55018 back from the dead! Oh no, my mistake, it's 55022 Royal Scots Fake wearing another false identity (I really don't know why they do this sort of thing :rolleyes:) pictured at Bridgnorth and Arley:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back in the real world we had something more modern in the shape of 60100 (seen leaving Kidderminster) and 88003 seen at the depot. Both seemed popular, the 88 in particular but I can't say I was overly impressed by it. It looks flash enough but it was very very quiet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Ruston & Hornsby shunter doing brake van rides at Highley was also popular...it takes all sorts...
    (it did look very tidy though!)
    [​IMG]
    The Class 17 "Clayton" D8568 was impressive (seen here at Bridgnorth and running round on a shuttle at Bewdley):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There were a couple of "Cromptons" 33035 pictured at Kidderminster and 33108 seen next to D8586, also at Kidderminster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Class 20s 20189 and 20205 were working as a pair, pictured nose to nose leaving Kidderminster and unusually cab to cab (word from a couple of hardcore "Chopper" fans was the multiple working had probably packed up...):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More English Electric thrash was provided by Class 31 31271 seen here at Bridgnorth and at the diesel depot:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The wildlife was spectacular. There was a "Teddybear" (Class 14 D9551 in Golden Oak Ochre livery):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a Rhino:
    [​IMG]

6. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Now that's what I call a good line up xD

7. Loganberry

Rarity (hah) value, I expect -- it's years and years since that thing's been allowed out of Bewdley yard, and I can't even remember the last time paying passengers could ride behind it.

Also, thanks so much for all the photos. Looks like a great day for diesel enthusiasts! :)

janglehooves likes this.
  8. Loganberry

Have a sight confined to a few areas of the country: a Class 180! This was at Worcester Foregate Street today.

Class 180.jpg

Zenfox and Oilyvalves like this.
  9. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I remember when Northern had a few on hire, you used to see them stopping at Preston on Manchester bound services.
    They never really reached First Great Westerns hype that they would be the next HST =p

10. Loganberry

At least at Foregate Street, which is admittedly not a station design that would be allowed as a newbuild today, they also make the most horrific screeching noise as they roll up to the platform. It doesn't endear them to those passengers (eg me!) standing and waiting for another train opposite. :p

11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

They had horrendous reliability when introduced if I remember rightly? Much like the Voyager's they suffered from the Dfts insistence of them being 5 cars rather than as long as HSTs they replaced.

12. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

One year on and I can still picture it in a reasonable amount of detail.

A 450 head on from track level looks quite intimidating.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Last Saturday I re-visited one of my teenage steam haunts, the Mid-Hants Railway, for their 'End of Southern Steam' summer steam gala.

Now, I am an enormous fan of Bulleid pacific locos; this will come as a complete shock to some of you, I'm sure. I'm always happy to get the opportunity to see them in person, and with the 'End of Southern Steam' 50th anniversary taking place this year, I knew things would be good. But last Saturday was rather special, because I got to photograph (technically speaking at least), no less than EIGHT preserved examples. I'm pretty sure that's a record which'll be hard to beat.

Admittedly, only 4 were operational, and only 5 could be considered 'complete', but still. Look inside the spoiler tag for the rundown:

The day began early in the morning at London Waterloo station, to see the mainline tour 'The End of Southern Steam' depart:
    [​IMG]
    34046 'Braunton' (running as 34052 'Lord Dowding')
    The star of the Mid-Hants gala, at least in my eyes:
    [​IMG]
    34081 '92 Squadron', now fitted with nameplates since I last saw her

Equally impressive:
    [​IMG]
    Merchant Navy 35006 'Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company', including appropriate messages chalked onto the smokebox door

A familiar friend from the SVR:
    [​IMG]
    34053 'Sir Keith Park'

This loco wasn't running (her boiler is out of ticket), but the MHR shed staff took the opportunity to go 'all out' dressing her as Bulleids would have done in their final days:
    [​IMG]
    34007 'Wadebridge' (partly masquerading as 34019 'Bideford')

Under overhaul at the MHR's Ropley loco workshop:
    [​IMG]
    34105 'Swanage', with her tender and boiler also visible elsewhere on the site

A rather sadder sight, stored in a siding at Alresford station. Ironically this was the only Bulleid of the lot I hadn't previously seen before:
    [​IMG]
    34058 'Sir Frederick Pile' awaiting restoration

This one I can only just get away with. As well as the cab, the boiler and tender were visible under restoration, while the majority of the loco's 'bottom half' is at Eastleigh for overhaul.
    [​IMG]
    Merchant Navy class 35005 'Canadian Pacific'
    Also running at the gala was visiting Standard 4MT tank 80078, which ran double-headed with the 'Merchant Navy', plus residents Standard 4MT 2-6-0 76017 and Ivatt 2MT tank 31412.
    The rest of my pics from the day are here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/technoandrew/albums/72157683679017261

#1873 Oilyvalves, 11 July 2017
    Last edited: 11 July 2017
  14. Loganberry

Time for a few SVR updates! First, those who like both railways and Land Rovers might like to get down to the SVR on Saturday 12th August. when "Plimsoll" will be visiting. This is an 88-inch 1957 Series I converted for use as a road-rail vehicle. Info here:

http://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=797

Second, the visiting locos for the Autumn Steam Gala on September 21st-24th have been announced as:

Schools Class no. 926 Repton (from the NYMR)
    GER Y14 no. 564 (from the North Norfolk Rly)
    SE&CR no. 323 Bluebell (from the Bluebell Rly!)
    Also, the Ffestiniog's no. 2 Prince will be in steam on a short length of narrow-gauge track.

Third, the first visitor for next year's Spring Steam Gala on March 16th-18th has been announced:

LNER B12 no. 8572 (from the North Norfolk Railway)

janglehooves and Oilyvalves like this.
  15. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

I am in that particular little niche! :D Annoyingly I'm on standby for work this weekend so I couldn't make it...:(

16. Zenfox

Zenfox Pony

0103 will see an end of an era as South West Trains will be no more after 21 years.

17. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Bachmann only brought out their SW trains livered class 450s last week =p and now they are historical rather than current lol.

Zenfox likes this.
  18. Zenfox

Zenfox Pony

#1878 Zenfox, 20 August 2017 at 2:56am
    Last edited by a moderator: 20 August 2017 at 8:05am