1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

#Twitterponies: Why It's The Worst Thing I've Ever Done

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rare80, 16 September 2015.

1. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

Let me be clear, to call it the WORST thing I've ever done is a little extreme even with all I've had to deal with in the past couple of months. Still, I'd like to give everyone in this roleplay section a fair and serious warning.

DO NOT GO ON #TWITTERPONIES!

Here's my story.

Several months ago, I joined #Twitterponies and created an account on their Wiki. I also created an account on Twitter for Rose, one of my OCs that I use on this forum. This was mainly because roleplay on here had slowed to a crawl, and I wanted to further define my characters and give them depth. Eventually, I created seven #Twitterponies: Rose, Risky, Romero, Lechuza, Lady, and Calm Waters. Good times we had at the beginning, and I had established each of my characters roles within the #Twitterponies Universe. I thought I had done all of the hardest work, and it seemed to be all downhill from there.
    I was wrong.

Canon Characters:

One of the things that #Twitterponies offers is the opportunity to not only live alongside, but even interact with a large number of canon characters. The canons usually have extremely good roleplayers, and are good at crafting scenes. However, #Twitterponies, more specifically the writers within it, exploit this. Everyday the canons are bombarded with requests for scenes day in and day out. I remember one scene were a character had barged into Fluttershy's cottage when she was asleep, demanding a scene. Things like this are common, unfortunately. So, to keep things in some kind of order, the canons usually stick to a tight-knit group of roleplayers who they know are good writers. Because of this, the roleplay experience suffers. Want to have a quick scene with one of the manes? Good luck. You're lucky to get a smile and a wave, much less a scene. I never really bothered, and eventually started avoiding them altogether.

Popular OC Characters:

Popular OC Characters have much of the same problem as the canons do. They're good writers with great ideas, and make wonderful scenes when given the chance. However, they also tend to form cliques within the #Twitterponies universe. Although I never could understand why, they seem to not have to deal with "scene-crashing" the same way the canons do. Why they keep their roleplays centralized within a group of five or six characters is unclear to me. It may just boil down to ego. Most of the writers of popular OC accounts I've talked to are very egotistical about their roleplay abilities, and the number of followers their character has. If you don't have a fair amount of followers yourself, they do not recognize you. For example, my Rose account has over 400 followers, so I got mostly positive interactions with this character. However, if I roleplayed as Risky who has about half the amount of followers, my interactions with the same characters was very different. I was the same writer, but because I lacked followers I often got the guillotine.

Ponyville.

Ponyville in the #Twitterponies Universe to me, is the root of all evil. Y'see, because everyone so desperately wants to roleplay with the canons, especially the manes, 90% of all the characters in #Twitterponies is in Ponyville. The notion that Ponyville is this quiet sleepy town like it is in the show has gone out the window. Whatever is left of the #Twitterponies characters are either in Canterlot or Cloudsdale, because that's where the other canons characters are. Even Everfree Forest is overpopulated with characters dashing about. Everfree is pretty much Ponyville Jr., and is the base of every OC villain character there is. I didn't even bother mention Everfree and Ponyville as separate entities. Everfree IS Ponyville, a victim of it's urban sprawl. Roleplaying out side of these three cities is pretty much impossible, and you have a character that likes to travel, good luck. If you're not a pegasus, you're doomed to ping-pong in between Canterlot and Ponyville indefinitely.

Roleplay Style.

Those of you that know Twitter know that each tweet sent of limited to 140 characters of text each and no more. Also, Twitter is very fast paced and everything comes and goes in an instant. The roleplay style is built around this is and is pretty much the polar opposite to what happens on here. Here, you can upload paragraphs of text and go into minute detail about everything you character is doing. How he thinks, how he feels, everything! Also, you have hours, and sometimes days to think about where to go with the scene next. There is unlimited power and fun to be had, you mustn't squander it. #Twitterponies, however, happens in real time. You are giving no time to think and react in character in an acceptable manner. I understood this before signing up, and was ready for the challenge, what I didn't know was is that very, very few of the writers here do any improvising of any scenes. Most scenes are planned out weeks ahead of time on chats rooms or via direct messaging. I am an improviser, I love the unexpected and seeing what others can do with whatever I type up, and vise-versa. However, most of my attempts to improvise has been meet with negative reactions. Most writers claiming that I'm trying to "hijack" or "derail" scenes. I've also been accused many times of "scene-crashing" because I'm doing something that was not discussed and okay'd weeks ago. This started many of my heated confrontations with other writers, and ruined what I had thought were budding friendships.

What's Real And What Isn't. (And My Major Gripe About #Twitterponies)

Yes, even in a world with magical pastel-colored talking horses, the line that separates real from fake is somehow blurred. Don't ask me why or how, but it is. For some reason, everything a character does in a #Twitterponies roleplay is an extension of the writer. No characters actions or ideas are independent. That brought about great problems for me, as really none of the characters are copies of me. I have no pony-sonas. However, this makes some roleplay scenes difficult, if not impossible. Portraying a villain, for instance, is particularly difficult. Every evil action or thought is tagged to his/her writer, and if a character is bad, takes makes his/her writer a bad person as well. Explaining what it's like typing "in-character" always ends in arguments. It almost makes me wish I would've lied and said that my characters are tulpas and are completely out of my control. However, negative relationships aren't the only ones that are taken way too far.

This brings me to one of my LEAST favorite things in the fandom. -- Shipping.

I understand that shipping happens in every fandom, and is inevitable. I've learn to deal with it.

However, shipping in the #Twitterponies Universe is on a whole 'nother level. Shipping of OCs is taken WAY too serious. I specifically remember getting RIPPED by a writer because I didn't end a scene quickly enough so that one of the other characters could go home and cuddle their waifu. Shipped characters rarely spend time with anyone else but each other, and your timeline is bombarded with hours upon hours of snuggling and making out. If all you do is roleplay with the same pony over and over again, why bother following anyone else? And if you don't support a ship, all hell will break loose. The writers will take it as a personal attack. I've gotten insulted, yelled at, criticized, and even a few death threats because I didn't support a ship.

The absolute worst thing I was told, was that I "don't care about anyone", but myself.

This was not only hurtful, but it was blatantly untrue. If anything, I cared too much about others. In order to keep people happy, I often had to change story arcs several times within minutes. Keeping scenes alive was a real shore. Like I said, I love improvising. However, when you have to think, re-think, then re-re-think, and re-re-re-think every scene you're in; it really takes the air out of roleplay and it starts to feel more like a job. I was doing more in-flight adjustments than Julius Erving.

[​IMG]

Eventually, I had to rethink my characters and my approach to roleplay in general. This turned into many lengthy hiatuses. Slowly my characters were turning into something I couldn't recognize anymore. My villain character had turned into a loveable klutz. My grumpy royal guard mare had turned into a depressed recluse. Everything I built had fallen apart. Sadly, there was nothing I could do to undo the damage.
    I was miserable.

I went as far as to saying so right on my character bio for Lechuza. I got two kinds of responses. First, people telling me I was a drama-queen prying for attention. Second, people telling me that they were just as miserable as I was, but didn't have the gall to say anything. Soon after, I drew a line in the sand. I didn't want to be tortured anymore, and I didn't want to see my OCs die to themselves. All of my accounts are now inactive, with two exceptions. Lechuza now has a new writer. Rose has a big following and I don't wish to upset people by suddenly dropping her. (Again, another example of me not caring for anyone else but myself.) Although, I hope someday I can get to the point to where I can "kill her off" soon.

#Twitterponies has no mod team, no character applications, no groups to join, and only one rule: "Have fun."
    Unfortunately, I've broken this rule many times, and my unhappiness is why I bring this warning to you all.

If you like to roleplay, love your OCs, and want to have fun -- DO NOT GO ON #TWITTERPONIES!

#1 Rare80, 16 September 2015
    Last edited: 16 September 2015
  2. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

Wow... that really sounds very chaotic. (Glad I don't actually use twitter). If a roleplay is going at the quick a pace then there doesn't seem to be very much control over what happens so it ends up with things going from bad to worse as time goes on.

If I could find a way, I would love to bring back the roleplay interest on here. I have considered bringing back the thread I started last year called 'Seasonal RP' Kinda wish that had taken off and many adventures each day could have been done. From simple snowball shenanigans from the start to traveling around places and exploring new locations.

Hmmmm. @Rare80 how do you think things could be done on here to make it as enjoyable as what you started with on TwitterPonies? It seems you enjoyed it at the start but the chaos kinda took over and ruined what seems like an enjoyable experience.

(I am so sorry I didn't notice this thread get posted. I didn't get any alerts for it and kinda shows that I'm not doing my thing properly and checking each day)

3. Sir Dave of Dave

Sir Dave of Dave I'm not Dave!

That was an unexpectedly painful read, I've not heard of #Twitterponies before, nor am I an avid user of Twitter, but I know how fast paced Twitter can be, and I can't imagine trying to build Shyss or Ani up into the characters that they are on such a fast platform. It's true I'm not a big fan of waiting days, or weeks, for a new RP post on here, but at least I can think about building my Mane Two up as ponies. I also highly doubt that during my first RP with Shyss I would have been able to make friends, both in and out of character. I don't think Shyss would have been given a dragon egg, but on the upside, I don't think her house would have been destroyed so many times.

As for the scene-crashing/stealing abuse. I've had people accuse me of doing the same thing, because I got my post out a few seconds before they got theirs ready (caused an interesting little "fight" in one of my OOC's if I recall correctly). Like you I firmly believe in improvisation, the purpose of roleplay isn't just to tell a story, it's to portray a character, and a character will react to the unexpected in unexpected ways.

As for the characters on #Twitterponies just being ponified versions of the writers, I have no real words. What's the point in roleplaying, if you're only going to be yourself? If Ani was asked how she was feeling by somepony, she wouldn't be sad because I am (It'll pass, don't worry), she'd be happy because the sun is shining, Simon didn't wake her up in the middle of the night begging for booze, and more importantly, she's happy because she's just bought herself a bag of liquorice to eat on her way to her friends. My emotions are not Ani's.

I will admit though, some of my characters are based off certain aspects of myself, but they're still very different.

Shyss based off my interest in philosophy and religion (even though I'm not religious, and I am more than content with my views on the meaning of life)
    Ani is based on my love of chemistry (which I failed in sixth form, also I really don't like liquorice)
    Vanth is based on my love of music (but unlike him I can play an instrument, I'm just not a very good composer)
    Cally is something completely new and unexpected. (Tomb Raider maybe?)
    Dave is Dave (a character I originally created on WWE 2K15, and then recreated on Mount & Blade: Warband)

What I'm trying to say, roleplaying is all about developing a character into somepony who is almost real, somepony who seems to have a life outside of the RP's they actively take part in.

Blaze_Midnight likes this.
  4. Aethelberdia

Aethelberdia Returning Pony

Wow, that sucks.

I don't like paragraph roleplays (ironically :p) but at least on other websites you have a couple hours between shortish posts. I like waiting in anticipation for replies, not trying to keep up with them.

I respect you quite a lot, though, because you've handled it a lot better than I would. I can barely keep up characters here, much less there, and at least you didn't fly off the handle and yell at everyone like I know I would have at some point.
    In short, don't let this discourage you from roleplaying with those characters! Or at all!
    Motivation!
    Yeah!

5. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

Y'know, I tried thinking about it for a long time, but really couldn't think of anything. The chaotic experience I had on #Twitterponies clouded my memories so much that I could only recall all the painful experiences and nothing else. Recently, however I did come to a conclusion.

On #Twitterponies, scenes usually tend to be within a few hours of roleplay time, (maybe a day or two in real life) scenes are short, quick, and to the point. Also, you are usually spending the majority of your time cataloguing your characters day-to-day activities. Those things, if done in this form of roleplay would be considered very "boring". However, this accomplishes one major thing: somepony's is always doing something. That's the biggest change. The roleplayers there are encouraged to start up scenes despite what level of intrigue is. Here, it seems no one wants to post anything because they believe their idea's may not be "good enough". Therefore, activity comes-and-goes. At least, that's what I've noticed.

ALSO: If you haven't noticed, I'm not dead. I have a couple of ideas brewing. I hope to have them up and running by the end of this week, if not, then before New Years Day.

6. Aethelberdia

Aethelberdia Returning Pony

Hoorah!
    Also, Lord knows we need a bit of the old Rare80, our RPs are deader than disco.

7. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

Truth is, I can start up all the Roleplay threads I want. If the level of intrigue isn't there, then I'm not going to accomplish anything.

8. Sir Dave of Dave

Sir Dave of Dave I'm not Dave!

Well I just noticed the new thread in the RP section, so I'm going to read through that and hopefully I'll be able to bring something to it, and help revive the only part of this site I ever really payed attention to.

- EDIT- I have never seen any episodes of The Twilight Zone, my only real knowledge of it comes from the Rush song of the same name. So I may need to do some research

#8 Sir Dave of Dave, 13 December 2015
    Last edited: 13 December 2015