1. Found a G1/G2/G3 Merch discussion in this area? Let us know so we can move it to the right forum - "Report" the thread to flag it to a member of staff.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

UK DVD release of MLP: FiM!

Discussion in 'Friendship is Magic - Merch & Toys' started by MrBaBa, 18 April 2013.

?

Will you get any of the DVD's?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. FXPON01

FXPON01 Spreads Peace Through Strength

Same here, preferably with a cover like the Elements of Harmony Guide Book. The only issue is Blu-Rays are expensive to manufacture so must either sell well or be sold at high prices. Would anyone here buy a full season box set with extras and snazy packaging even if it was £50 - £60?

(I would)

alexatkin and TibbsUK like this.
  2. TibbsUK

TibbsUK The pony formerly known as Insomnia

Day one purchase. No question.

Blu-ray isn't half as expensive as it used to be, especially for a company like Hasbro. Indie film makers are putting our their own movies on BD now.

I guess it's just a licensing issue.

A digital release would be something at least, but TV series tend to be unreasonably priced as downloads. A BD boxset would be the perfect solution imho.

electrokitty likes this.
  3. Flyingleaf

Flyingleaf MLP and Disney fan

Hell Yes.

I bet EQG gets a blu ray release...

4. TibbsUK

It will, already confirmed.

5. Flyingleaf

Flyingleaf MLP and Disney fan

Urgh. Then why can't we have MLP in all its blu ray glory!?

6. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Watching ponies in SD is a crime against fabulousity!

Leon K Fox, Flyingleaf and TibbsUK like this.
  7. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

You can, by buying the German Blu-ray. I know that only has 2.0 audio for the English language track, but I have to say I doubt the number of people for whom that's a deal-breaker are likely to amount to enough for a separate UK release.

8. TibbsUK

All on screen text is apparently in German too. Not that there is much text in MLP but that could also be a deal breaker for purists.

9. DannyB

DannyB Abnormal Pony

I wonder how well the german blu-ray sold, because that could affect the viewpoint of other comapnies particularly in Europe. If Edel's attempt at a Blu-Ray didnt sell well in Germany then Clear Vision aren't likely to consider doing a similar set for the UK, particularly since they are a budget DVD company in the first place. (Also we havent managed to get Transformers Prime blu-rays in the UK yet and thats released by Universal who are one of the biggest companies in the industry.)

The German Blu-Ray is really good in terms of quality, you just have to get used to the PAL speedup audio but you dont notice that after a few minutes.

10. TibbsUK

Are you kidding? They converted the show to PAL? I though the higher speed on that UK sampler DVD was a mastering error.

Why concert between formats on BD? All HDTVs have native support for NTSC, so why not just keep it in the original format?

Why is getting MLP out on home video so difficult?

On the usual places (you know where I'm talking about) you can find 1080p rips of all seasons, complete with improved colour correction and remastered audio done by fans. Fans have done all that just out of love for the show.

Why can't Hasbro do the same, just whack it on a BD and ship it out? They could sell it via their own website if they didn't want to spend money on getting out to retail.

Seriously though, if the UK DVD releases are sped up like the sample disc, then that's a deal breaker for me.

alexatkin and Pigasus like this.
  11. DannyB

DannyB Abnormal Pony

I imagine it would be because the German localised version with the altered text and such was only mastered in PAL for their TV broadcasts, and the company didnt have NTSC masters with the German text. Considering a UK release could easily use the same masters Shout Factory/Madman use then we would probably still get an NTSC Blu-Ray.

(Although I wouldnt hold out hope for the Clear Vision DVDs being NTSC, as I can think of very, very few TV shows released on UK DVD that don't have PAL speedup on them, even stuff like big US dramas and anime shows are often sped up slightly.)

12. Dylia

Dylia Jeune Fille Garnement

It can't be helped.

Trust me, I despise how PAL conversion speeds up the soundtrack, but it's just Region 2 encoding - I have to put up with it for my American TV Show DVDs after watching them in normal speed a few times, but it's not a big bother once you get used to it.

It's that, or import the Season One and Two boxsets, and a region code breaker from Amazon.com like I did.

13. GroundedPegasus

GroundedPegasus Active Pony

I've watched just about all of Season 1 on German TV (which I assume is in the same format as the German Blu-rays) and I didn't find the speeding up noticeable. Obviously I couldn't compare the speech as it was dubbed into German, but the music sounded the same to me. Personally, I'll take a PAL DVD over no DVD at all anyway!

Quick question, though: I thought things were slowed down when converted to PAL rather than sped up - I know that's what happened with old video games anyway. What's the reason behind the speeding up?

14. Loganberry

If it's any help to anyone, I believe XMBC has the option to play PAL discs at NTSC speed, doing the re-encoding on the fly. I don't have the program myself, though, so can't vouch for how well it works.

#114 Loganberry, 1 June 2013
    Last edited: 1 June 2013
    TibbsUK likes this.
  15. MrBaBa

MrBaBa Dibs

Pre orders are now ready for the DVD on Amazon and Clear Vision's official site.

It seems that the DVD will have 6 episodes that will be jumbled up.
    The episodes of the disc will be in this order...

Friendship is Magic P1&2
    Griffon the Brush Off
    Look Before You Sleep
    Swarm of The Century
    Owls Well That Ends Well.

Not really worth it if you want episodes in order, but hey! Lets be grateful that we're actually getting DVDs at all. :D Seeing as we don't have anywhere else to legally watch it here.

I could be wrong, but the truth is that if Hasbro sees how well the DVDs are doing here. They might put Ponies on other platforms like Netflix and iTunes.

You can pre order from Clear Vision: http://www.clearvision.co.uk/produc...ndship-is-Magic-Welcome-To-Ponyville-DVD.html

And Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Little-Pony-Friendship-Ponyville/dp/B00CS6AAMM

I'll polish this post up later. I did this on my ipad.

16. ZeroG

ZeroG Gamer Pegasi Extraordinaire

The US and Oz get the better deal and the UK gets screwed over.

17. MrBaBa

MrBaBa Dibs

In actual fact, I think the Malaysian DVDs are like this as well. Volumes of episodes shown out of order.
    So basically Malaysia has been screwed over as well! :p

18. ZeroG

ZeroG Gamer Pegasi Extraordinaire

I guess then we will just have to import them, I had to do that for Pony Tales

19. Dylia

Dylia Jeune Fille Garnement

America started off the same way and ended up getting the boxsets - don't lose hope. We could still get them if demand is high enough.

20. Loganberry

Hmmm... release date is listed as "July" on Clear Vision but 2 September on Amazon. If that's accurate and CV have a month and a bit's exclusive (I note the "Get it first" logo on their page) then that's worth knowing, depending on what CV's service and p&p charges are like. I imported the region 1 box set (mostly for the commentaries) but I would like to buy the UK releases to show support and (as Dylia said) hopefully improve the chances of better releases down the line.

It's a shame the choice of episodes isn't a bit more inspiring, though. The pilot is obvious, and "Swarm of the Century" is great fun, but the other three aren't exactly all-time favourites for most fans. I appreciate CV wouldn't want to put out all the best stuff first up, but compare it with what we would have got had they just done the first six episodes in order -- "Applebuck Season" and "Boast Busters" would have been in there. Not really a contest.