1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

UK PonyCon UK PonyCon 2017 (Bristol, 21-22 Oct) -- Info and Discussion

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Loganberry, 9 May 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Important: I am not UK PonyCon staff. This thread is being posted here as a convenience to UK of E members.

The full details for this year's UK PonyCon have now been announced! They are as follows:

Venue: UWE Exhibition and Conference Centre, Bristol (Google Maps)
    Dates: Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd October 2017
    Theme: Wild West

Tickets are now on sale! VIP tickets are already sold out (they all went in six hours flat!) but you can buy other types of weekend and one-day tickets from the official site, which you can find here:

http://www.ukponycon.co.uk/tickets

Please note that this year, as well as the ticket confirmation email (on paper or a phone screen), the person who bought the tickets will need to produce ID at the registration desk on the day. It does not need to be photo ID (though it can be) -- a credit/debit card is also officially acceptable. I don't know about other documents, so you'd be better off asking the con directly if you have a question about that: the contact link is below.

Further information about the convention, including visitor information, rules etc can be found here:

http://www.ukponycon.co.uk/

If you need an official answer to something, please go to the official Contact page.

Please use this thread for general discussion about UK PonyCon. Thank you! :)

#1 Loganberry, 9 May 2017
    Last edited: 9 May 2017
  2. Loganberry

Teamidris likes this.
  3. Loganberry

I've put together a "places to eat" guide, seeing as this year's venue isn't in the city centre. Of course, it's good to support the venue by using its café and bar -- but their opening times mean that you'll have to look elsewhere for breakfast, late-night food on Saturday and post-con food on Sunday. You may also feel like an occasional break from ponying in order to get you through two packed days.

I've already posted this on Louder Yay, but I thought it might be useful to copy it in here. :)

Hours are given in the format (Saturday / Sunday). The linked distances go to a Google Maps page with directions to the establishment in question.

At the venue

There are two options in the UWE itself:
    • Café (9am–7pm / 9am–4pm)
    • Bar (midday–10.30pm / midday–5pm)

I have no idea how good the café is, but if it's even halfway decent (read: stocks muffins!) and not stupidly expensive, I do recommend eating there at least some of the time. First, it supports the venue, which is always a nice thing to do. Second, it'll be full of con attendees, which will give it a special flavour.

However, this won't be an option for breakfast, late night Saturday or any post-con meals on Sunday. You may also feel that you need a brief change of scene to get you through two packed days. I know I have done at times. As such, some possible alternatives follow.

Unlike some other convention venues, the UWE does allow you to take your own cold food and soft drinks in. No hot food or drinks and definitely no alcohol! Obviously, if you choose to bring food in, don't then go wandering round the vendor stalls with mayonnaise or chocolate all over your hands...

Abbey Wood Shopping Park

This retail park (0.7 miles) has a number of places where you can get a snack or a meal:
    • Asda (supermarket open midnight–10pm / 10am–4pm; café hours unknown)
    • Bella Italia (9am–11pm / 9am–10pm)
    • Costa (8am–8pm / 9am–6pm)
    • Frankie & Benny's (9am–11pm / 9am–10.30pm)
    • McDonald's (24 hours / 24 hours)
    • Nando's (11am–10pm / 11.30am–10pm)
    • Subway (8am–9pm / 8am–7pm)

Other supermarket

Although not at Abbey Wood, there is one other supermarket with a café that's almost the same distance from the con venue. It is:
    • Sainsbury's (7.30am–7pm / 9.30am–3.30pm) in Fox Den Road (0.6 miles)

Local pub

Yes, singular I'm afraid. There is precisely one pub within a mile of the con venue, weird for an area full of students but there it is. I suppose they must all drink at the Students' Union. That one pub is not the cheapest, with the average main course costing £10–£12, but for those interested:
    • The Fox Den (midday–11pm / midday–10.30pm) (0.7 miles)

Hotel bars

The Holiday Inn bars are open to non-residents. These are as follows:
    • HI Express Bristol North (hours unknown) (0.7 miles)
    • HI Bristol Filton (hours unknown) (0.8 miles)

And that's the lot! Well, I think so, anyway. Let me know if I need to make any corrections. And no, your eyes are not deceiving you: all the options are pretty much the same distance from the UWE! If you happen to know of anywhere else to eat within a mile of the convention venue, then please tell me and I'll add it to the list. :)

4. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Thank you Loganberry for starting a thread for us :) I'm sorry I didn't do it myself, I was so busy tying myself up in knots over Twitter (don't understand it at all :eek: ) and FB, I forgot to come along here to make a thread.

I have come to make an announcement, and how nice to find a premade thread to do it!

Early Bird ticket sales end today, for anyone who hasn't yet bought tickets. We have all typs still for sale, apart from those super quick vanishing VIP ones. Our ticket store is here - https://www.freewebstore.org/ukponycon

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  5. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Pub-wise, I plan to tick the Bristol Brewdog off my 'list' ... anyone wishing to join me is more than welcome :p (may happen on the Friday night depending on how bagged me and SWMBO are from the train down ... and how good the transport into Brizzle city centre is)

6. Loganberry

Bristol's public transport setup is not its crowning glory, to be frank, and I have plenty of scars to prove it! If you're staying at the Holiday Inn Express, it's an easy bus ride: the 70/71/73 stop almost outside the hotel. Get off at Rupert Street (opposite an NCP car park) and it's about a five-minute walk to the Brewdog (Google map). The bus bit takes something like 32 minutes.

However, there's no direct bus into the city centre from near the non-Express Holiday Inn. The best option of a bad bunch is to walk to the UWE campus, as it happens, then pick up the 70 or 71 bus from Stop A there, again to Rupert Street. (Google map). Alternatively, you could walk to Filton Abbey Wood station and get a train to Temple Meads. Either way, you're looking at just under an hour to get into town.

More generally, Bristol buses are fairly frequent but often not very punctual. Most take cash and will give change, which is a bit of a rarity in big cities these days. First operate by far the largest number, with Wessex next. A BristolRider multi-operator ticket is £4.50, and a First-only day ticket is £4.00. Finally, "the Centre" is a specific place, a large roundabout/interchange/mess, so don't ask for that if you want another part of the city centre.

I have limited experience of taxis in Bristol, but the ones I've used have been reliable, safe and not terribly cheap. :p

7. Loganberry

I really should have posted about this earlier: as of now, sales of Saturday and weekend tickets are on hold pending a final review by the con committee of venue capacity. The reason is simply that a lot of people have bought them! There may be extra tickets released in these categories after the review, but nothing is certain. Sunday and stallholder tickets are still on sale. More details on the official UK PonyCon forum, here:

http://ponyconvention.proboards.com/thread/13608/important-ticket-information-read

#7 Loganberry, 13 June 2017
    Last edited: 13 June 2017
  8. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Hi everyone, I hope your all excited for PonyCon 2017!

As you all know PonyCon relies on the generously donated time of volunteers to help run the busy time table we have planned for you. This is your opportunity to get involved and help us out!

Yes, VOLUNTEER APPLICATIONS are now open!

Now some general information first.

1) All volunteers should hold an appropriate ticket for the day they want to volunteer on.

2) Ideally volunteers should be 16 and over and those under 18 will need a chaperone with them. Younger people wishing to volunteer will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

3) You won't be working the whole time you're at the con, we want you to be able to enjoy it as much as everyone else.

4) Volunteering opportunities range from helping with events, running merchandise stalls, errand running and various other jobs so if you are particularly interested in something then do say so but we can't make any promises that that is what you will be doing. Equally, if there is something really don't want to do, let us know. Again, we can't promise anything, but we will do our best.

Those wishing to apply should email us here at [email protected] with you ticket order number and a short piece about why you'd like to volunteer with us and what you might like to do. If you have any further questions before applying do let us know as well and we will answer as soon as possible.

In order that we can get everything organised in time, we would like to say that we'd like all c=vlunteer applications to be with us by the end of August.

Cheers everybody!

9. MachinePony

MachinePony Renegade Timelord

@Loganberry Are you going to let us know when the tickets back on sale on this thread? I'll be checking it everyday to see if the weekend tickets are back on sale.

10. Loganberry

Two points on this:

1) There's no guarantee that Saturday/weekend tickets will go back on sale. They said "may be (but will not definitely be)". The con committee can't make any promises now, because it depends on what they decide after their visit/review.

2) I will post in here when I can, but I have a lot of other stuff going on right now, so I can't guarantee to be ultra-quick. I'd advise you and anyone else interested to keep a close watch on the official UK PonyCon accounts, which are:

UKPC Forum announcements section: http://ponyconvention.proboards.com/board/23/news-announcements
    UKPC Facebook: https://en-gb.facebook.com/ponycon/
    UKPC Twitter: https://twitter.com/UKPonyCon

11. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Hi everyone.

if you have booked the Bristol Holiday Inn Parkway before June 10th by debit or credit card, please can you all check your bank statements for any unusual activity from the date you booked from to 10th June.

A number of credit and debit card may have been stolen and used fraudulently by a member of staff. The indivual concerned has been dismissed and arrested and a small amount of personal information was found in his flat. (The people's details which were found have since been contacted)

However it is unknown just how many people are affected by this indivual so if you have found any unusual activity please firstly contact your bank to report the activity then please can you contact me by private message and I will pass you the detectives number so it can be logged.

Any personal data held by the hotel is safe and that there is no need to contact them regarding the matter. It has been dealt with and was isolated to one member of staff. No other hotel is affected.

Please remember that no bank or organisation will ask you for your PIN number over the phone, if you are asked, do not disclose the information.
    Always flag and note any unusual activity immediately
    If you are unsure about any payment on your account, call your branch to get more information on the payment and if you still don't recognise it, report it.

Thank you!

Guiding Breeze likes this.
  12. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

We are now accepting submissions for this year’s Con Book!
    We are looking for articles, art, games and puzzles that fit with this year’s Wild West theme to include in the 2017 conbook! This is a great chance to see your work in print, and we’ll also include your name and web link (if applicable) in the conbook, so Ponycon attendees will be able to find you for commissions and stuff!

Submission Guidelines
    Any artwork must be created (or scanned) at 300dpi to be suitable for printing.
    For text documents, please save as DOC, DOCX or PAGES - or copy the text into the body of an email/PM.

Please send any submissions to [email protected] before August 31st 2017 and feel free to PM @Sparkler with any questions!

We cannot guarantee that everything submitted will make it into the final, printed con book but we really appreciate your work and look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Please be aware that certain lengthy things might be impossible for us to include - in the end it is the UK PonyCon 2017 conbook with all the info around and about UK PonyCon - to help you when you visit us on the day!
    Please send only 2 artwork max. per person.
    Thank you! <3

fiddlepony and Loganberry like this.
  13. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Hi guys and gals!

This is an important announcement, so please do read it carefully.

We will be releasing a second wave of tickets on 14th July.

YAY!

Demand for tickets this year has been higher than ever before, with all ticket sales much faster than ever before across all ticket types. It caught us out which is why tickets were taken off sale.

We really don’t want people to miss out.

We have taken on additional venue space and are rearranging our plans – it’s more work but we are now putting on the largest UK PonyCon ever.

We will be offering only Weekend and Sunday tickets in “Wave two” for Adults, Children and Families, Supporter and normal.

There is a third type of ticket that will also be on sale - the Sunday to full weekend upgrade. This will only be for people who purchased after the 4th of June to 13th July and will allow an upgrade to a weekend ticket for the same total price as original weekend price. Please see the ticket site for details.

A few stallholder tickets are also remaining and once these are gone no more will go on sale.

There will be no more VIP tickets.

Thank you all for your patience while we sorted things out with the venue. It was a hard thing to get as many of us available on the same day for a site visit, as we wanted to all be able to discuss things with the staff, and each other, there, but we managed it in the end.

Thanks for your continued support, and we look forward to seeing even more of you at UK PonyCon 2017!

Loganberry likes this.
  14. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Loganberry likes this.
  15. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

and weekend Tickets purchased.

Yay me!

With Galacon and hopefully Bronyscot also on the agenda, that's 3 Pony conventions to look forward to ;D

Oh yeah and MCM Comi Con in London is the very next weekend... My poor Bank account >.<

Why do I have to have such expensive Hobbies? :p

fiddlepony likes this.
  16. MachinePony

MachinePony Renegade Timelord

I had purchased the weekend tickets last week. Now I got something to look forward to after the summer.

Maz likes this.
  17. Loganberry

Quick reminder to people that the Wave 2 weekend and Sunday tickets are still available! :)

http://www.ukponycon.co.uk/

Also, some news on the trains: there will be engineering work that weekend between Cardiff and Newport, which will affect some trains to Bristol. More details here. Most lines seem to be running as normal that weekend, though.

18. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

For those of you who bought a VIP or Supporter Ticket, you may want to check your spam folder for an important email (con book name)

Guiding Breeze and Loganberry like this.
  19. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Hi everyone!

Things have been busy here at PonyCon HQ, preparing for the biggest UK PonyCon to date - over 800 pony fans will be in attendance over two days. Whilst we’re not yet ready to release any content schedules, trust us that we’re getting excited at all the panels, events, stallholders, and singing, we are hoping to bring you!

And if you need any further hyping up, we have put together a teaser trailer from last years con to remind you of all the pony based shenanigans:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtI0n80aBQ

(We can guarantee that Pinch-a-Parcel will be making its annual showing, but we can’t guarantee the weather will be as nice as last year!)

If you haven’t yet bought a ticket, today we are releasing the final phase of ticket sales, which includes Saturday Day tickets back on sale. All types of tickets:

Weekend
    Saturday Day
    Sunday Day
    Stallholders

are reaching our final capacity and once they are marked as out of stock, no more will be going on sale. This will be the last update regarding ticket sales so if you want to buy a ticket, now is the time to do so.

If you have purchased a ticket, keep an eye out on your email, and your spam/junk mail folder, for updates - Stallholders, VIP and Supporters would have recently received links to surveys so if you haven’t completed this, please do so.

Also keep an eye out on our social media pages, as we will shortly be giving out details on:

This years customs,cosplay and other competitions
    The official UK PonyCon Dinner (A separate ticketed event)
    Rosette and Con Book sponsorship
    Our Venue and Accessibility Guide

We look forwards to welcoming you all to UK PonyCon in a little over two months (Eek!)

Keep your eys peeled for another announcement (coming really soon) with information that some of you have been asking about

Oilyvalves and Loganberry like this.
  20. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Hi everybody.

We know there have been a few requests for the contest categories at the con this year. I am happy to now announce them for you all.

We will be awarding prizes in the following creative categories!

General custom
    Themed custom (Western/Rodeo)
    Kids custom (must hold child ticket)
    Newcomer custom (adult, not to have won 1st or 2nd place at PonyCon before)
    Adults artwork
    Kids artwork
    Pony crafts (including Pony Scenes)
    Destroy a Fakie
    Cosplay Adults
    Cosplay Kids
    Cosplay Groups

There will be one or two other awards also, but as those are not creative ones, they have not been put onto this list.

Please note thatwe are not asking for rosette sponsorship at this time. That will be coming soon though [​IMG]