1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

UK PonyCon UK PonyCon 2017 (Bristol, 21-22 Oct) -- Info and Discussion

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Loganberry, 9 May 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

If anyone's still thinking about going, you'll need to get in quick! According to the ticket store page, both weekend and Sunday tickets have sold out. Only Saturday (and stallholder) ones left! Impressive.

2. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Here is YOUR chance to sponsor one (or more) of our absolutely fabulous ROSETTES given to the contest prize winners!

All rosettes are £5 EACH and you can sponsor as many as you want . Every rosette you sponsor will have your name of choice on the long tail ribbon, so everyone knows who the awesome person was who sponsored their prize!

If you would like to sponsor a rosette or two, please email us at [email protected] with what category and placing you would like to sponsor and also the name you would like on the tail ribbon and I shall double check that one is free before giving you the payment details. PLEASE DO NOT send payment until your rosette/s has been confirmed!

The rosettes to choose from are listed at the bottom of the post - they shall be crossed off as soon as they have been sponsored:

Apart from sponsoring a rosette, we are also opening advertisements in our Con Book. We've fixed the prices for advertisements in this year's con book at last year's prices:
    - £20 half page
    - £38 full page
    - £50 inside back cover
    - £60 inside front cover

Spaces are limited and will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. If you wish to advertise, please email us at [email protected] with your request details and somebody will be in touch. Please note that art will be needed by mid-september so please consider

And talking about the conbook - we are still open for Conbook submissions for the con book. We are looking for articles, art, games and puzzles that fit with this year’s Wild West theme to include in the 2017 conbook! For more information, please see our original post here but note that entries will need to close soon! ponyconvention.proboards.com/…/searching-contributions-year…

The UK PonyCon Committee

Rosettes:
    General custom - 1st, 2nd and 3rd
    Themed custom (Western/Rodeo) - 1st, 2nd and 3rd
    Kids custom (must hold child ticket) - 1st, 2nd and 3rd
    Newcomer custom (adult, not to have won 1st or 2nd place at PonyCon before) - 2nd
    Adults artwork - 1st, 2nd & 3rd
    Kids artwork - 1st, 2nd & 3rd
    Pony crafts (including Pony Scenes) 2nd & 3rd
    Saturday Cosplay Adults - 2nd & 3rd
    Saturday Cosplay Kids - 1st 2nd & 3rd
    Saturday Cosplay Groups - 1st place Only
    Sunday Cosplay Adults - 1st 2nd & 3rd
    Sunday Cosplay Kids - 1st 2nd & 3rd
    Sunday Cosplay Groups - 1st place Only

3. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

fiddlepony likes this.
  4. Loganberry

And even more info, from the front page of the official website: UK PonyCon 2017 is now sold out! That's the third year running, which is really impressive considering how big this year's con will be! :D

fiddlepony and ponePete like this.
  5. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Hello everyone!

There are just seven weeks to go until PonyCon 2017!

This is a reminder message for all the holders of stallholders, VIP and supporters tickets. You'll all have received a survey via email from us. If any of you who have not yet replied to it could please do so soon, we'd be grateful. Your responses will help us to make PonyCon even better grin emoticon:D Some people have said that they found their surveys in their spam folder, so do please check in there also. Thank you!

Also, if any rosette sponsors haven't yet paid for their rosettes, it'd be lovely if you could do that soon too. Almost all the rosettes are now spoken for (from memory, we have just four left unsponsored, a great result! Thank you to you all) and once that's done, we can get them made and ready to hand out to the lucky winners.

Thank you all. Have a great weekend

fiddlepony likes this.
  6. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Good afternoon PonyConners!
    This our official call for donations for the annual UK PonyCon Grand Charity Auction which will be taking place on Sunday.

UK PonyCon needs YOU and your generous donations! The Convention just wouldn't be the same without our fabulous GRAND CHARITY AUCTION!

100% of the funds raised from the Grand Charity Auction goes straight to our adopted charity which is the Riding for the Disabled Association (RDA), who will have a stall at the convention (www.http://ukponycon.co.uk/charity. Thanks to the wonderful VIPs and Supporter ticket purchasers, we have raised over £700 this year already!

So if you have any awesome items to donate please complete this form to let us know:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScrguhtMQk4BBuafYxPpad5WgUjdrWOwN2aky52QCO9IYdwdA/viewform

All donators to the auction will be given credit during the auction and on our website after the convention.

Please can you advise on your entries by Friday the 6th of October, to allow us time to prepare listings and organise the auction. We will of course love to accept donations at any time but last minute donations may not make the auction in time.

All items donated must be somehow My little Pony related and if we receive too many items to feature in the auction, we may decide to hold a silent auction to make sure everything sells.

2016 was a record breaker for us, but let make sure 2017 is going to be the BEST AUCTION EVER!

#26 daisyd, 5 September 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: 5 September 2017
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  7. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Come and join the new Facebook PonyCon group!

www.facebook.com/groups/1838788259693548/

As suggested by StrawberryMeadow (great idea! Thank you!), we have now got an official place for people to come and chat about all things PonyCon. Show off your cosplays and art, make some new friends, share travel plans and fnd travel buddies, arrange pre and post con meets....everything!

Just to say though, the group is being moderated by ME [​IMG] I may find more mods later on, depending on how many people join. BUT it is up to you to be safe online. Remember, especially those of you under 18, to use caution if arranging to meet up with people that you have not met previously. [​IMG]

8. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

We are very pleased to announce that the sign ups for this year's cosplay parade are NOW OPEN! That way, you're all sorted for the parade well before you even get to UK PonyCon. Twilight Sparkle would approve of your efficiency [​IMG] .

This year we are running two cosplay competitions and both days will be judged
    Adults Cosplay (1st, 2nd and 3rd)
    Childrens Cosplay (1st, 2nd and 3rd)
    Best Group (1st only)
    Are you cosplaying both days? Awesome! You're more than welcome to be in the parade both days.
    However, you can only enter a contest for one day, although you can still parade on the second day - please enter the relevant details on the form.

To sign up, please follow this link:
    docs.google.com/forms/d/1S5FhfBh6HvwE8UPwBxU0OdbNskGNR5uFG3LheLB88_U

Please can you submit your entries by Friday the 6th of October, to allow us time to prepare for the contest. Last minute signups and alterations for the parade are likely to be allowed, but you may not be introduced properly.

Have any questions? Let us know! We're really excited to see what you come up with this year!

We would also take this opportunity to remind everyone of our cosplay rules www.ukponycon.co.uk/rules#cosplay-rules

All unrealistic and toy weapons are strictly forbidden. This is a new rule for UK PonyCon 2017 and was decided upon after last years convention. It is not in response to any particular known threat, but under the current climate it is a rule we will be strictly enforcing.

Guns, swords or other props representing known weapons or of any kind, even if obviously a toy, are strictly forbidden.

Please do not bring any such item to the venue or its premises - you will either need to surrender the prop to committee with no guarantee of its return, or will need to leave the convention and take the object off the venues property. This applies to adult and children, so please do not cause any issues or upset by allowing toy weapons to be brought.

Shields are permitted, providing they under 1.2m in any dimension and are safe to carry in a busy convention. Armour is also allowed as long as it doesn’t look like real 20th/21st century armour, is clearly a costume and is safe for use in a busy convention.

Lassos and whips may be worn as part of a costume, but under no circumstances should be swung.

The chairperson decision is final in all these matters.

UK PonyCon reserves the right to grant exemptions to the prohibited items list for specific items to specific people for specific purposes in exceptional circumstances.

Also, we still need a few more volunteers to help fill our rota. Work on the rota is shortly going to start, as the event rota is now just about ready to goo *woo*

Please refer to this post if you would like to volunteer some of your time to help make PonyCon extra special [​IMG] PonyCon cannot happen without lots of help.

ponyconvention.proboards.com/thread/13614/ponycon-searching-volunteers?page=1&scrollTo=150011

Thanks everyone, and have a great weekend!

fiddlepony likes this.
  9. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Hey everyone.

I'd like to please gauge the interest of putting together a pre-meet for the Friday evening. This would be a casual non-official get-together, in a similar style to previous years. I've had a look around to see if there are already such plans, but haven't found anything firm. Apologies if I've missed something!

I've seen the suggestion of maybe heading into the city to find Brewdog etc, which would involve an approx. 30 min bus ride. If that's the consensus with everyone then I guess I could go along with it. However I'd rather suggest something a bit closer to the convention venue, to be more convenient for people staying in that area.

I think our best bet might be one of the hotel bars, most likely the Holiday Inn Express Bristol North. I'm staying in the Bristol Filton one, which is a little further from the UWE and about a mile's walk to the Bristol North one. The Premier Inn Bristol Filton is also a similar distance away. Would be happy to hear alternate ideas though.

fiddlepony and vcgriffin like this.
  10. Loganberry

I honestly have no idea at this point, since I'm travelling down with a friend who hasn't been to UKPC before and hopefully meeting up with someone else once we arrive in Bristol, so I'll be most likely to go along with what they want to do. I doubt that will be certain until very close to the con weekend itself -- we may even decide during the train journey.

I'm not a huge fan of Brewdogs (not great for non-alcohol drinkers, which I may or may not be depending on health) and didn't feel that comfortable at the Leeds one last year, so if it's at one of those I'm likely to pass anyway. Don't let that influence your decision, though, as it wouldn't bother me at all if others wanted to go for that. :) A hotel bar I might have a bit more interest in, especially if it's the HI Bristol North as that's walkable from where I'm staying (Filton Premier Inn) if the weather's dry.
    The area is a bit of a wasteland with regard to meeting/eating places, unfortunately. There's that shopping centre just off the roundabout where the HI Bristol North, which has a few, and there's the Air Balloon pub on the Filton PI roundabout (part of the Flaming Grill chain) but not much else. Cribbs Causeway shopping centre has plenty of places, but most buses to there go from Filton, which is convenient for those at the PI but a pain for the majority staying at the HIs.

Okay, textwalling a bit here! Summary version: I'd like to keep an eye on what you decide, but given I really don't know whether I'd be able to attend at all I don't think I want to push for any particular venue myself. It'd be great if there was something for those who could/wanted to attend, though. :)

11. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony

Hi all! Hope your weekend is going well [​IMG]

The con committee just wanted to remind you all about some of the important things going on at the con (now just five weeks away!).

Most importantly, do remember to bring your ID and a copy of your confirmation email. ID does not need to be photo ID but will need to have your name on it. The email can be either a printed copy or viewable on your phone or tablet.

Other Things to bring

•Pinch the Parcel entry – if you want to enter a PonyCon tradition, remember your Pinch the Parcel entry. To play you need to bring at least one (more if you wish) wrapped parcel of pony items, any gen, but should have a value of £5 minimum. Again, you can put more in there if you wish to. No parcel, no play! We will be watching out for this.

•Money [​IMG] many vendors can and do accept card payments, but some may not, so it's worth bringing cash and card with you. There are cashpoints on the uni site, about 5 minutes walk from the hall we are using. Committee will familiatise themselves with their locations before the con starts, so if you ned to know where they are, feel free to ask once at the con.

Things not to bring

•Cosplay Weapons – Our policy for cosplay accessorises has changed this year, please make sure to read our policies www.ukponycon.co.uk/rules#prohibited-items

•Unnecessary baggage – we will be operating bag searches on entry, so to speed up your entry it will be best not to bring unnecessary items. Of course bring lots of empty bags to fill with new merch, which will be able to be stored in the venues cloakroom for the rest of the day (£1 per item)

•Electrical items – attendees are not allowed to plug electrical items into the venue sockets. You might want to bring a portable battery bank to keep mobiles/cameras charged up.

•Open bottles of drink – we are allowing cold food and drink to be brought to the venue but bottles must be sealed on entry. Outside Alcohol is also prohibited.

•Spoilers – we are making UK PonyCon spoiler free for the Movie, Season 8 and any episode aired over the weekend. The committee will be working hard to set up the convention and will not have time to see the Movie.

Things to do

•Review the timetable – Prepare for a packed weekend and make sure to leave time to eat &drink!

•Got an artist flair, or just want some fun? Finish up your Contest Entries and maybe you’ll win one of our fabulous rosetttes - ponyconvention.proboards.com/thread/13651/contest-categories-uk-ponycon-2017

•Enter our Cosplay contest or parade – We love seeing your wonderful outfits, for full details for the contest and the rules, see ponyconvention.proboards.com/thread/13676/ponycon-cosplay-sign-rules-remi

•Sign up for the free wifi in advance (Free wifi provided by a 3rd party) - service.thecloud.net/service-platform/login/

PonyCon is nothing without you!

PonyCon relies on the support of the wonderful community to keep going, and this year is no exception:

•Auction Items – we are always after interesting, unusual or rare things from any generation, or special one-off creations. And 100% of the proceeds are for charity! ponyconvention.proboards.com/thread/13669/uk-ponycon-2017-charity-auction

•Things for things in a jar – a PonyCon classic is nothing with things…it’s called things in a jar for a reason! ponyconvention.proboards.com/thread/13628/time-again-jar-returns

•Volunteer some time to help out – even if you could spare an hour or so to help out, it will help allow the committee a bit of a breather (or time to shop!) ponyconvention.proboards.com/thread/13614/ponycon-searching-volunteers

Thank you everyone!

[​IMG]

12. daisyd

daisyd Active Pony