1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

UK PonyCon UK PonyCon 2017 feedback thread

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Loganberry, 23 October 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

UK PonyCon 2017 is over, so here's the usual feedback thread. :) The con will be publishing an official feedback form in the near future, so make sure you fill that in when it appears! This thread can be used for general thoughts that you don't mind saying publicly.

I'll try to write a proper feedback post later, but in short... That. Was. Awesome! :D

Eliki and Oilyvalves like this.
  2. MattBas

MattBas Well-Known Pony

It was a nice con.

One thing I have to say though is that during the closing ceremonies, they were giving awards for artwork, customs and stuff while just saying the name of the thing that got the award without pictures or anything so it was kind of confusing and I could not really tell what won those awards.

3. Teamidris

Teamidris Engineer, Writer & Cosplay

That was a nice venue. All open with plenty of room and a great restaurant.

Eliki likes this.
  4. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

This was my first Ponycon (Not Pony Convention but UK Ponycon) and all in all I really enjoyed it.

My weekend didn't get to off to the best of starts, left nice and early with the intention of getting into Bristol at a decent time.. However a big crash on the M4 ruined those plans so was stuck in traffic for hours instead so arrived at my hotel late..

However the rest of the weekend was good.. It's funny how you always see familiar faces at these things, Makes you wonder if they remember you.

Purchased items from the likes of Jowy, Limeart Profuctions, Mad Munchkin, Stormblaze, the main UK Ponycon stall and others (Sorry I can't remember everyone)..

This is the first convention I've been to that ford focuses on all Generations of MLP and not just G4, a lot of the stalls made me feel old seeing Items I have not seen since I was a kid like the 3D thing you stick to your eyes, old Videotapes (Must have been alien to little kids.

I took part in the speed drawing and whilst I didn't win I think a lot of people liked my stuff ;D

Also attended Mad Munchkins Panel on Saturday which I found quite helpful and made me want to push harder on my artwork.

I met a few people I knew and even met some forumers for the first time so that was nice.

All in all it was a nice fun Convention and one I certainly would not mind attending again..

Bristol UWE was a nice locations and a nice 1.4 mile walk from where stayed. Weather wasn't great but it could have been worse :p

I know this convention rarely stays in the same place but I would not mind if it stayed in Bristol again, On a good clear run It would probably have been just over 2 hours but nevermind.

So yeah this is my first UK Ponycon... and I hope it wont be my last :)

Now if you'll excuse me I have MCM Comi Con this weekend.. My Poor Bank account :(

Teamidris and Oilyvalves like this.
  5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

It may be a little quiet here nowadays, but I'll still share my thoughts.

This was another terrific UK Ponycon weekend! I can't imagine anything that would stop me going to another one of these next year.

This year was my first time volunteering, and it really was good fun. If you're considering having a go at volunteering next year, I'd highly recommend it. The committee were all an absolute pleasure to work with. I was made to feel very welcome, and giving ample support on the jobs I was tasked with. There was also no pressure whatsoever to do anything I wasn't comfortable with. Plus the other volunteers were all great company.

My utmost respect to the committee for all the hard work they put in before, during and after the convention.

This UK Ponycon was a welcome change from the previous 2 years I attended, and contained quite a number of 'firsts' for me personally:
    • First time helping to set up a convention
    • First time helping to register people into a convention
    • First time manning a merchandise stall
    • First time exhibiting a LEGO model at an MLP convention
    • First time singing solo karaoke in front of people
    • First time contributing an item into a charity auction
    All these added up to an unforgettable experience. Getting to hang out with so many pals and meet new people as well was the icing on top.

Eliki, Teamidris and Guiding Breeze like this.
  6. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

It was fun, even though I wasn't in a particularly good head-state for much of the weekend (there are Reasons) - being there with my BFF made it a lot better, though.

Most of my time was spent doing CCG stuff (including possibly the most shambolic draft ever) but I did manage to do the customary laps of the merch hall - picked up a couple of beanie plushes (Thunderlane and Night Glider) that I commissioned a few months back and a few other bits and bobs and completed my collection of Night Glider pics by my favourite artists thanks to a rather lovely sketch commission from Jowy. Sadly, though, my quest for a G1 Night Glider in semi-decent condition remains ongoing ...

It was also nice to see Lego Dash for real - she really is rather impressive.

The venue worked, largely because everything was more or less in one place although taking three attempts to get out of the main hall was somewhat embarrassing (you had to be there) - that being said, experience has shown that universities are well set up for holding events like this, since conferences and such are a major source of income out of term time. Would have been nice to have a bit more time to explore Bristol itself, but you can't have everything.

UKPonyCon #3 for me - can't wait for #4 (but I'll have to)

Teamidris and Oilyvalves like this.
  7. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I really enjoyed the convention, even though I spent most of it really tired. :p (I should have given myself more time to adjust from sleeping during the day, to sleeping at night again before the convention.)

The venue was really nice. It was big enough to hold everyone without feeling cramped, but yet it also felt like everything was "right there" and easy to get to.

There was this strange incident, though, in the merch hall, where money just sort of disappeared from my wallet and I found myself in possession of more Twilight plushies... :p

Already looking forward to next year's, wherever it may be. :)

Eliki, Teamidris and Oilyvalves like this.
  8. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

It sounds great, I should really make an effort to go to this next year...

Teamidris, Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  9. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

My third Ponycon, and another great one, even though I had to shoot off early on the Sunday. The venue was great - I wasn't convinced that the side rooms would be insulated from the main stage sound, but they were. There was plenty of space for chatting, and the cafe was actually reasonably priced! The negative was how far it was from restaurants and the city itself, which meant that I didn't get any feeling for Bristol in the way I did for Leeds and Leicester.

The only thing that didn't really work brilliantly was the con meal, and that was in no way Ponycon's fault - glacial service at the restaurant suggested they'd taken on too big a booking without thinking about how to cater for the group size. Maybe for next year it would be better to choose somewhere with a more limited set menu in order to speed up service? It was a shame to miss the live music and karaoke due to this, but it did leave plenty of time for chatting and meeting new people, so it was hardly a major problem.

Thanks to all the team for making it another great con - I'm already looking forward to next year!

Oilyvalves likes this.
  10. Loganberry

Right, now for the promised longer post! But first, huge, huge thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make UK PonyCon 2017 so fantastic.

Seconding @Aldersgate about the venue: the main hall was wonderfully spacious and that led to a really nice, laid-back atmosphere with plenty of space to sit around and chat while not interfering with stage events. The side rooms were just the right size, and the big screen in the Vampire Bat Sanctuary room was a brilliant feature for the karaoke and games. Also seconding Aldersgate in that it didn't really feel like we were in a big city, more in our own little bubble -- though perhaps there's something to be said for complete escapism for a weekend! It's a pity it wasn't closer to any hotels (JD Fox and Micro's resulting absence was a shame) but no venue will have everything.

The events schedule was very good, with lots of fun stuff going on, and nearly all of those I attended were free from people chatting away to each other while the speaker was talking. It was certainly better than 2016 in that regard. When I first saw the schedule I wondered whether there might actually be too much karaoke, but it worked out pretty well on the whole. People seemed slightly less inclined to sing along with the karaoke than last year, though, which personally I was sorry about. It didn't stop me! Rainbow Dash Attack could perhaps have done with people putting their name down (as was done with the karaoke) rather than just people putting hands up, as it was a shame that not everyone got a go in their chosen session.

I didn't attend the con meal, but I was pleased with the café, especially considering the out-of-town location and often poor weather meant we were rather a captive audience. Not only were the prices reasonable, but there'd clearly been some effort with the snacks: having stuff like "Spike's Double Chocolate Muffins" and "Sunset Shimmer's Lemon Drizzle Cake" was really appreciated, at least by me. A little thing, but it made the place feel that bit more Pony. The café did seem to close down on Saturday somewhat earlier than the advertised 7pm, but since the bar sold sandwiches and snacks, it wasn't a huge deal. Alcohol was fairly expensive, and served in those annoying flimsy plastic glasses, but both those were expected.

Some general thoughts: I've always loved the multi-gen focus of UK PonyCon, and I'm glad that's still strongly in evidence. The huge number of stalls was great and the stallholders had clearly worked very hard. An extra compliment for whoever designed the UKPC T-shirt -- I really like this year's design. The con book was nicely designed and generally very informative, with a really nice and clear colour-coded timetable, though it might have been better for the floor plan to have been printed the other way up, with the entrance at the bottom. The chill-out room was quite quiet anyway so I didn't sample the quiet room. Happy to see a number of events for kids -- always good to see UKPC taking "all-ages" seriously. And of course the charity auction did fine work yet again.

I was absolutely delighted by UK PonyCon 2017, which had the most wonderful atmosphere throughout. On the way home, @Eliki and I ran across a couple of other attendees at Bristol Parkway station. We had a very brief chat, and one (whose first con it was) said "Everyone was so friendly!" So I guess that would be my one line assessment of this wonderful event: "UK PonyCon -- The Friendly Convention" :)

11. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

This was my 4th Ponycon (and eighth 0.o MLP convention) and it was the Best Ponycon by far, because although Isolated it made it feel more enclosed and didn't let you break the magic of immersion in Pony! because with everything on site (the cafe and bar were super reasonable) there was no need to leave anyway.
    So A++ for venue,
    It was also well laid of, The dealers area, the main stage, the cafe, tables and three side rooms worked well together, there was a lot going on, and the hall was not eecoy so you could have your own table even if you were sat right next to the wall for the dealer area, or in the cafe
    Layout A++
    There was a massive range of overlapping events, with always something going on, each super awesome, from DR Kirkland's panel, AJ Through the Ages, Team Idris on writing, The Quiz... (I could go on) I was even impressed about the things I count get to and wish I did (Big thanks for getting Steely Hooves to play!)
    Events A++
    Somehow I managed to spend most of my dough on books (How many people bought a complete set of RPG books?) and less on ponies (though I am sorry to have missed out on Silly Lyra and a new tie (how I could ever get away wearing one though?) )
    Suff A++
    A shout out to evryone who worked on and helped out at the convention is is order, you all were awesome and must have worked super hard! and it paid off. (whomever thought to get the security guards to judge the competitions was a stoke of genius),
    Staff A**********

What Keeps this con magical is how it is a con for all fans, and I loved seeing all pony represented (G1 rock!) and every year I worry that the bronies weigh things too heavily in one direction and its always good to see that a con such as ponycon is there for evryone

12. daisyd

daisyd Honorary Pony

Ah, thank you guys.

I have the link for the online feedback here, in case any of you wish to fill that in - goo.gl/MPx7Ab

@Loganberry, the con t shirt was designed by @Sparkler, who did all the artwork for the con :)

Loganberry likes this.
  13. Loganberry

Yes, I realised after I posted that that it was Sparkler's design. So the extra yay goes to her. :)

Sparkler likes this.
  14. Sparkler

Sparkler Honorary Pony

thank you all for your lovely feedback.^^

15. Eliki

Eliki Element Of M&Ms

Right then, this was not only my first visit to Ponycon but also my first convention ever. To cut straight to the point, I don't think I could have hoped for a better first convention, so thank you to everyone involved! I'm not going to lie and say everything was flawless, because I was more nervous than a donut in a police station, and that wasn't the best start to the Saturday. Also I don't deal with queues very well at all, and there's no way around the fact that... well, you have to queue!

But that's not something I'll dwell on, simply because that wasn't a reflection on the convention itself or any of the staff. Quite simply, once past the registration, I was pretty much okay for the rest of the time there, and the Sunday was better still due to less queueing. My only gripes - I didn't find a £500 note on the floor to spend on the giant Pinkie plush. And nowhere near enough Songbird merchandise. (Though I did get a very very nice Moonbreeze sketch of Songbird and had a photo taken with someone cosplaying as her.)

I was really impressed by the use of space. One thing I'd been stressing about was how packed it would be there, and it turned out that despite being busy, I never felt crowded. There was always plenty of room, and (importantly for me) I knew I could reach the exit easily if needed.

The range and number of stalls was just breathtaking, and the amount of merchandise was incredible! All that colour - I still can't get over seeing those stalls for the first time. I even found a Nightmare Moon brushable that I'd wanted for ages but never thought I'd find. And the Tails Of Equestria stall was a really nice addition - they must have sold a heap of goodies! Also, most of the stall holders were extremely friendly and helpful. The facilities (loos, the bar, the cafe etc) were very well placed, and it was great to know that essentially everything needed was in one place. The pony themed muffins were a very nice find too.

@Loganberry has mentioned already about the friendliness of the convention, and I'd have to agree totally. That was one of the most notable things, and it was such a nice feeling, as a bundle of nerves, to simply feel "safe" there. And to know that everyone else felt the same. I didn't attend many of the events, mostly because there was so much to take in and it was still quite overwhelming, but in a good way. And the range of different events, panels etc was very impressive - I can't imagine anyone had any excuse to be bored there. I also had chance to meet a bunch of friends I'd known for a while, or in some cases years, for the first time. I'm glad I got to see the opening ceremony and the auction, as those were two events I didn't want to miss.

So yeah, I absolutely loved it and wouldn't have missed it for the world. Would I go again? Well... that depends on money and where it is next year, partly. And also, whether I feel I can cope with the stress involved during the build-up. (It's not enough to know "it went okay once you were in the convention" unfortunately. That doesn't really help because I am a knucklehead.) But if it was just about Ponycon itself, then yes, I'd have no hesitation at all in returning there and no hesitation in highly recommending it to other peeps.

16. Teamidris

Teamidris Engineer, Writer & Cosplay

This was my third and the nice atmosphere Eliki talked about has been there all the time :D

Eliki and Oilyvalves like this.