1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

UK PonyCon UK PonyCon 2018 (Nottingham, 13-14 Oct) -- Info and Discussion

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Loganberry, 7 April 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Important: I am not UK PonyCon staff. This thread is being posted here as a convenience to UK of E members.

The full details for this year's UK PonyCon have now been announced! They are as follows:

Venue: Nottingham Conference Centre (Google Maps)
    Dates: Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th October 2018
    Theme: Crystal

Tickets are not yet on sale -- they will be made available at midday UK time on Sat 28th April. However, those all-important prices have been released, and for those please see the official website's tickets page. You can find that here:

http://www.ukponycon.co.uk/tickets

Note that there have been a few tweaks to the ticket structure since last year, so it's worth reading that tickets page carefully. And if you're thinking of purchasing the VIP upgrade, bear in mind that VIP tickets completely sold out in six hours last year!

Further information about the convention, including visitor information, rules etc can be found on the official UK PonyCon site, which is here:

http://www.ukponycon.co.uk/

If you need an official answer to something, please use the con's official Contact page.

Please use this thread for general discussion about UK PonyCon. Thank you! :)

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  2. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Awesome.

I did Ponycon for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.

Nottingham isn't to bad, it is a slightly longer drive than Bristol was but nothing I can' handle.

I'm glad that it isn't the week straight before London MCM as well and that I should be paid before then.. (Doing both those events last year left a massive hole in my bank account >. <)

None the less I will try and pick up my ticket as soon as they come on sale. :)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  3. Cheese Sandwich

Looking forward to this as it will be my first pony convention. Really wanted to go last year but unfortunately they had sold out by the time I got around to buying tickets.
    Thankfully I get paid on the day before tickets go on sale this year so I'll buy my tickets as soon as they are available.
    With it being in Nottingham it's further away from me than Bristol was last year so me and my friend will end up having to say somewhere locally for the weekend.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  4. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

How quickly do tickets sell out, usually?

5. Loganberry

It's been different every year, as venues have varying capacities, so it's hard to give a precise answer. Last year, VIP tickets sold out on the very first day, but from memory, normal tickets were available until about six weeks after they were released. On that occasion they managed to get more space and so could reopen ticket sales later, but I believe this year the venue capacity is fixed and so it'll be a "when they're gone, they're gone" situation.

The con committee do let people know when stocks are running low, which is a very good idea. However, my guess would be that if you're buying a Standard/Supporter ticket, you should be okay if you need to hold off for a little while. A few weeks will probably be okay, but a few months probably won't. As I say, though, it does change every year, so please don't treat that as anything certain.

6. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Well my hotel is all booked so I'll be definitely going this year.

7. moody magpie

I have just booked my ticket. Going VIP this year.

Oilyvalves and DerpyWhooves like this.
  8. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

Nottingham's a wee bit too far for me unfortunately. I regret not going to the con in Bristol last year, it was practically right next to me. Oh well, have fun to those that are going!

9. Loganberry

Happened to be by a computer just after midday, so I thought I'd try to go VIP, just for once. And slightly to my surprise, I did! Never had a top-tier ticket at a convention before (after all, BUCK's Celestia tier was, er, not cheap :p) so it's quite exciting. Wouldn't at all have been the end of the world if I hadn't been able to get the VIP, though, as I would have been happy to go for the Supporter level.

Incidentally, the VIP upgrades sold out in half an hour this year. Watch your back, Glastonbury! :p

Oilyvalves likes this.
  10. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I've got myself a weekend supporter tier ticket again this year. Even if I'd wanted a VIP pass, by the time I remembered about the ticket sales yesterday, they'd already been sold out for an hour!

I'm still undecided whether I'll get a hotel or not, living within commutable distance. I don't know if they'd be able to hold my luggage during the day on Sunday (I definitely won't stay until the Monday).

11. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

VIP tickets (x2) bought.
    Hotel booked.

Just have to hope I can get myself properly employed again by then :mad:

Last time I was in Nottingham was at an academic conference[*] (late 90s, in other words :eek:), wherein I gave a presentation which precisely two people in the auditorium understood - I was one of them. I also plan to spend some quality time reliving my misspent yoof in the National Video Game Arcade and riding on trams. I may even find time to go to the pub ...

[*] - I did plan to go to Trent Bridge to watch the Test match a couple of years ago, but unfortunately England's batsmen put paid to that little jolly.

#11 Irregular Apocalypse, 29 April 2018
    Last edited: 29 April 2018
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  12. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Have booked a supporter ticket (forgot about VIP being on sale at the time) but not overly fussed, as I’ll get the t-shirt at the con anyway. Booked in for the Premier Inn as well. Really looking forward to this - Ponycon is my favourite con of any fandom!

Oilyvalves likes this.
  13. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

and Ponycon is good to go for me.

If all goes to Plan, I got Galacon and Ponycon confirmed now.. Hoping to get to Bronyscot and still not ruling out Griffith Isles.. Either way, staying in a Premier inn 0.9 Miles away, I don't mind the walk ;D

Either way.. See you all in 24 Weeks time ;)

Oilyvalves likes this.
  14. moody magpie

You know I'm quite curious to know how many VIP tickets were available before they sold out.

15. HypnoHooves

HypnoHooves Well-Known Pony

last year was 30

16. Loganberry

Just booked my hotel! :D Always makes the convention seem that little bit more "real" once I've done that. Went for the Travelodge (Nottingham Central) over the slightly nearer Premier Inn, largely for price reasons. The Travelodge is ten minutes' walk from the rail station and ten minutes' walk from the con venue, so I'm very happy. :)

There's a special UK PonyCon rate for this Travelodge, incidentally -- available via the UKPC site. I had a left-over discount that meant it was slightly cheaper for me not to use the special rate, but it might well be useful for some. :)

TheDashingJack and Oilyvalves like this.
  17. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

I've gone for the Crowne Plaza myself - not the cheapest (although split between two of us it's surprisingly reasonable for a 4* hotel) but I figure that after all the crap I've dealt with over the past 5-6 months I deserve to spoil myself a bit.

Transport will be sorted out nearer the time - the train trip is fairly straightforward; Nottingham is no more difficult to get to than Leicester was a few years ago.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  18. moody magpie

I'll be staying at the St James hotel which looks like pretty decent without breaking the bank. As for getting to Nottingham, it will have to be by train.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  19. Hawker Hurricane

Hawker Hurricane Well-Known Pony

Oilyvalves likes this.
  20. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I'll be commuting from home for this year's convention. Being as close as I am in Derby, I don't feel I can justify the hotel expense, or time off work on the Friday and Monday. Plus I wouldn't want to be carrying overnight luggage around the convention on Sunday.

It won't feel quite like the full weekend away experience, unlike previous years. But I'd already come to terms with that after Notts was announced, and I'm sure I'll have the opportunity again in future years.

Fortunately the train over is easy, and there's also a 24hr coach service allowing me to stay late on Saturday. I'll probably pop over for pre-meets on Friday as well.

I'm fairly sure there'll be fellow con-goers staying there, so hopefully you can meet up with them :). And besides, the con venue itself is not too far away.