1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

UK PonyCon UK PonyCon 2018 (Nottingham, 13-14 Oct) -- Info and Discussion

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Loganberry, 7 April 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Quite a few people, I'd guess, since it's one of the hotels with a special UK PonyCon rate. Also within walking distance of both con venue and rail station! It's why I chose it, anyway, and I doubt I'm the only one.

2. Loganberry

3. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Loganberry likes this.
  4. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Ordered two (one for me, one for SWMBO) as soon as the announcement was made - I already have a couple of similar Shapeways prints (small Lyra, big DJ - I can provide pics on request) and the quality is very good - for a 3D print in that particular material the price is very good, so I suspect they had a fair few of each design made. Economies of scale, and all that jazz.

The only thing to remember is: they're not toys - they'll withstand a certain amount of handling, of course, but they're not indestructible and are meant to be displayed and admired.

Oilyvalves likes this.
  5. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

The competition Rosettes are also available for sponsoring. The details were posted on Facebook, but I'm not sure where else. @daisyd @Guiding Breeze @Hampshire Brony we could really do with one of the committee posting this sort of thing on here.

6. Archer

Archer Derpy's number 1 fan :D

Can't wait for ponycon this year :) Though i need to start on my cosplay T-T I think info about the rosettes was also posted over on the ponycon forum as well as facebook :)

Loganberry and Oilyvalves like this.
  7. Loganberry

Unless things have changed in the last few days, UK PonyCon is rather short of volunteers this year. If you can manage even a few hours of your time, I'm sure the con would be very grateful! After all, without sufficient people, it won't be possible to run all the hoped-for events! Volunteers are needed for pre-con setup and post-con takedown, registration, events, operations, merchandise, etc.

Given my personal circumstances at the moment, which some will know about, I'm simply not able to commit to anything myself, right now not even whether I can make the con at all (though I hope I can). Therefore, the least I can do is a bit of signal boosting! Here's the link to the official UKPC volunteering page:

http://www.ukponycon.co.uk/volunteering

Reminder: I am not con staff. This post is made on my own behalf only.

8. Loganberry

9. Equinox

Equinox Pony

I am going on Sunday (last minute decision, only tickets left were Sunday ones) as my first ever convention visit. Any tips and could someone brief me on what to expect? The events page seems to be empty on their website.
    I also might have a few more questions so is there someone I could ask or should I just throw them all at you here? (As I said, first ever convention after all!)
    Thank you!!

10. Loganberry

First up, sure, feel free to throw questions at us here :) -- though bear in mind most replies here will be unofficial; there are some UKPC contacts if you want official answers, or you can ask on the UKPC forum linked from their website. As it happens, I wrote this series of tips before last year's con -- most of them are still pretty relevant, except that this year there is an ATM in the venue, but (sadly) you can't take your own drinks in this time. It's still fine to go out of the venue to buy lunch and then come back, you just can't bring food or drink into the venue. The "comfortable shoes" one is really, really important -- every experienced con-goer will tell you the same thing!

Here's Sunday's events timetable from 2017. The one this year won't be exactly the same -- after all, it's a different venue -- but this should give you an idea. Sunday is usually a bit quieter than Saturday (and doesn't go on into the evening), but there's still plenty going on. The Charity Auction is the centrepiece here, really, and it's a fun experience even if you don't bid on anything. Note the colour code at the bottom. "Britannia's Buddies" last year organised a few ice-breaking sessions for first-time or shy attendees.

UKPC2017Sunday.jpg

As well as the above, there'll also be a large area for vendors. There seem to be about the same number of stalls (~50) as last year, which can be a bit overwhelming the first time you see it! G4 is easily the most represented generation, but all the others are there too. There'll be something to suit all budgets, from fun badges for as little as a quid or two to high-end plushies at... more than a quid or two. ;)

A couple of extra tips: if you have a chance to buy an "upgraded lanyard" in the queue, at registration or at the con merch table, take it. It's only a few pounds and it makes a nice souvenir as it's decorated with con designs. And expect a wider age range than you might imagine for this fandom -- UKPC has many families with kids and older collectors in attendance, as well as all the bronies.

Like I said, feel free to bombard us all with questions! And welcome to the UK PonyCon herd, too! :)

#30 Loganberry, 2 September 2018
    Last edited: 2 September 2018
    Equinox, Oilyvalves and Candy Yunagi like this.
  11. Equinox

Equinox Pony

Thank you so much, Logan! You actually answered a lot of the questions I had and even some I hadn't thought to ask :')
    Good to hear about the age range thing as well, I've only really seen young children interested in the show, even my local game store is discontinuing the CCG because I'm the only person who still buys it...

If you don't mind, though, I do have just a few more. Sorry if this information had been stated somewhere and I just missed it.

- Does the no drinks rule include just plain water?

- I noticed there'll be a CCG tournament. I have never played it but somehow now have a collection of probably around 1000 cards (a lot of duplicates I'd quite like to get rid of though, mind you), would there be any sort of tutorial thing going on?

- On that note, how can I find people that might be willing to trade with me? I only started collecting recently and could do with some of the older ones, even if they aren't all that rare.

- When reading through the thread I saw you mentioned a discount at the Travelodge. Is there a list of where I can find the participating hotels In that discount scheme? I'm thinking of driving there the day before.

- What's the price range of the charity auction, and what sorts of things are available?

- Finally, I gather there will be some sort of security check? I'm going dressed in costume, so would I have to take off the wig and whatnot and then put it back on after the check or would it be okay as long as they see my face?

Sorry for all the bother and thank you! Looking forward to the event!

PS: my browser suddenly decided to quit and I am very grateful for the autosave function

12. Loganberry

Yep, conventions are a bit of a world of their own, especially this one! The specifically brony-focused cons (outside the US) tend not to have many families at all, but UK PonyCon has quite a few. Don't expect 90% kids, though -- part of it will depend on which events you attend, as some are more family-focused than others. It doesn't apply to you as you're only going on Sunday, but Saturday evening events like the pub quiz tend to be a little more... well, pubby. :p
    I asked about this over on the UKPC forum, and Maz (con chair) replied that plain water will be okay to take in. Nothing else, though. Also, it looks like there should be water coolers available as well. Here's Maz's full reply to me:
    I don't play the CCG at all, so I can't be all that helpful here. Whether there's a tutorial will probably depend on whether anyone has volunteered to run one, which we may well not know until much closer to the event. Same goes for trades. Bear in mind that small-scale impromptu swaps are fine, but only stallholders are allowed to advertise so you may need to ask people around the card games area.
    Yes -- see the top of the UKPC website's Accommodation page. That said, the discounted rates may or may not be cheaper than booking direct; I'm at the Travelodge Central and it was actually slightly cheaper for me not to use the UKPC rate, thanks to a discount code I had left over.
    Prices vary hugely, but usually items go for between £10 and £200. It partly depends on whether there's a bidding war! Items in this year's auction include artworks, signed IDW comics, plushies, postcards autographed by show VAs, WeLoveFine figures and a collection of 152(!) blind bag figures. Last year lots also included models, cross-stitch works and the big UK PonyCon banners themselves. (Those tend to be at the upper end of the price range!) As with the vendor stalls, G4 is most common but there's a fair bit of G1-3 stuff as well.
    For fairly obvious reasons they don't publish all their security measures, but in my experience the staff have always used common sense and discretion. Bag checks are mentioned on the website, so be prepared if you get one of those, but there are heaps of cosplayers so that won't faze them. :)

13. Loganberry

The Events Schedule is up! :D It's got a lot of stuff on it this year, more than I can ever remember. Panels, events, karaoke, the Crystal Ball music event, the all-important pub quiz, the classics like the cosplay contest and the charity auction... the lot. Sadly, @Equinox , the beginners' CCG tutorial/events are all on Saturday, though you may still find people for informal swaps on the Sunday. However, the "Britannia's Buddies" thing for newcomers will be happening on Sunday too.

http://www.ukponycon.co.uk/events-schedule

#33 Loganberry, 7 September 2018
    Last edited: 8 September 2018
    moody magpie likes this.
  14. daisyd

daisyd Honorary Pony

Thanks @Loganberry and @Oilyvalves for keeping things going here!

I have honestly meant to look in more than I have done but busywithconstuff :D

(Technically still busy right now, as I have a panel to finish writing and a Thing To Make that needs to be handed over to its new owner at the con)

I really should update my con staff banner at some point, shouldn't I??

15. Loganberry

Crystal Ball update! We've now been told three of the four acts who will be performing, and they are:
    • Steely Hooves
    • PrinceWhateverer
    • EileMonty
    Not a bad line-up, eh? :D I've no idea when the fourth name will be revealed, so keep your eyes peeled.

Edit: the fourth act was announced tonight! It's BassPon3. I'm not familiar with him, but maybe someone else here is?

#35 Loganberry, 1 October 2018
    Last edited: 1 October 2018
    Oilyvalves likes this.
  16. Loganberry

As I've done before, I intend to post a weather forecast for UKPC, updated as we close in on the weekend itself. Rather than clutter up the main thread here, I've posted it in this specific forecast thread. I'm no pro weatherman, but I hope it helps some people. :)

17. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

Well UK Ponycon is only one week away! Is everyone ready for it? I know I am. The hotel is booked the transportation is organised (even if I have to a coach home due to engineering work) and spending money is nearly sorted out. Just a bit worried about bringing my Dash in a Newcastle shirt plushie to Nottingham due to Forest knocking out Utd of the league cup (again!). Just out of curiosity I know there's a pre meet up on the Friday evening, but is there one going on during the day?

#37 moody magpie, 6 October 2018
    Last edited: 6 October 2018
  18. Loganberry

Apart from the bit where I run around in small circles wondering how in the hay I'm going to get everything ready in time, you mean? Oh yes. Definitely. :p
    Hey, from a distance people will probably think it's a Notts County shirt. Same colours! :D In any case, unless you rub your allegiance in people's faces or go into a specifically Forest pub, I doubt anyone will care. If they can deal with a large plush pony, they can deal with a stripey shirt.

19. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Bring it on.

This will be Pony convention 4 of 5 for me this year ;D

I have a 169 mile drive next Friday :p. Although looking at it that's only 19 more than it was to Bristol last year..

I hope the journey is a lot kinder to me this year.. A big crash on the M4 last year meant it took me nearly 8 hours to get to my hotel last year -.-

Either way let's get this week over with then fun fun fun ;D

20. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Really looking forward to this and seeing people who I've not caught up with since Bristol last year - my only worry is that the pub quiz and crystal ball are on at the same time. Nonetheless, I hope Team Custard are back for our usual, honourable next-to-last place! I've been reluctantly persuaded to cosplay as EqG Twilight on Saturday morning, so you may not spot me (or look for the terrible Twilight cosplay...)