1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

UKofE Site Updates!

Discussion in 'Official News' started by Alteran, 6 September 2016.

1. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

The Introduction
    Greetings, fellow forumites! It's time for an update about some updates! They've been pretty long overdue, but as I'm the only one who can actually action most of these changes, I have to find a time when I'm not at work, looking for new employers, feeding my dog, or playing Overwatch (you can join me on Battle.net if you like) in order to implement these changes.

[​IMG]
    Forum Upgrades
    Holy gee willikers, Batman! There are some improvements to the forum that you should definitely know about.

Profile Post Comment Likes
    You can now like comments that are added to your profile posts - profile post comments now actually behave much more like other content types across the website - that they can be edited, soft-modded, reported and deleted as you would expect.

Thread Tagging
    You can now tag the discussion threads you create, to make them easier to search and sort through. Like everything else, tags are user-submitted content and unsurprisingly, follow the house rules same as any other content you post.

Post Edit Alerts
    To further our efforts of transparency, our moderation staff now have the ability to send you an alert if one of your posts is edited, explaining why. Most of the time, this will be something trivial such as merging double posts. But if it's anything else, we'll be able to tell you what and why.

Link Title Conversion
    When you use the [url] tags, we will try to get the destination's page title and show that instead (similar to what Twitter, Facebook and Slack do), but if we can't do this (or you don't use the tags), we'll just leave the URL hyperlinked as-is.

Two-Factor Authentication
    We've had this before as an add-on form, but it was mostly used internally by moderators to protect the more sensitive features of their accounts. This feature has now been re-released as a core feature of the forum software, and will allow you to secure your account either in the form of emailed single-use codes, or by using codes from an authenticator app on your phone. You can set that up here.

We haven't figured out any official policies or procedures for recovering accounts locked-out of Two-factor authentication, but we will try and help on a case-by-case basis if this happens.

Again, this is an extension of an existing feature. You can already see profile updates in the sidebar, but there is now also a stream of latest posts in the sidebar.

Tapatalk Integration Updated
    Our Tapatalk integration has been pretty out of date for a while now. We've fixed that now. Although, we think our mobile experience in the browser is pretty good now!

Theme Improvements
    You might have noticed when you came back today, that the forum's design looks like a little bit different, but you can't place your finger on it, right? Well, we have updated the foundation of our forum's themes. This has fixed a number of cosmetic and readability issues in the design, as well as fixing a few other bugs in the design.

Administrative Improvements
    There are some other changes that predominantly benefit our moderation and administrative staff, such as user notice improvements and the ability to broadcast custom alerts for things that might not warrant a news thread (unlike this) or a conversation.

Other Changes
    In addition to the above, there have been numerous bug fixes across the software, and some notable fixes for recent issues including:
    • Perma-links are now being generated correctly.
    • The infamous uploading bug has now been fixed.
    You may have also noticed (depending on how you arrive at the website) that you went straight to the forum list, rather than the home page. The extension that our home page was dependent on was no longer being supported and was causing us some technical issues that were becoming hard to manage. Because the content on our home page was being skipped over and provided little benefit, we have taken the decision to cut our losses and retire the home page portal.

Feedback
    Give it to us. We want it. Assuming it is constructive, of course!

2. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

It works, it's nice. That transparent avatars are now purple is odd, though. Is it still the case that every single comment on a profile post will give an alert (rather than, as with regular threads, the 'there may be more posts after this' message for the oldest unread message)? That gets messy when a large conversation occurs, infrequent though that may be.

3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Thanks Alteran. Is this the final look or are there more tweaks planned? Because at the moment some links are a really light shade of grey which is kind of difficult to read (for example on the alerts menu).

Also is there a link to the "recent activity" page? Used to be on the menu to the left of forums that isn't there anymore. I found that page useful to scan through from time to time to see if any topics had become active that I wasn't aware of. - EDIT: never mind I've found it under members. :)

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  4. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

RIP needing to click the Forum button every time I visit. :p

Nice, though I didn't notice it changed until I checked notifications and saw a different link color, and noticed the news page was gone.

5. Alteran

Nothing is ever final. I can tweak around with things like this if they're proving an issue. I'm not trying to boast, but the monitors I work on tend to have significantly better colour reproduction than some other monitors out there, so while I won't notice a problem between two different shades of grey (lol), it might pose a more significant problem if your monitor is tuned differently or has a lower contrast ratio.

If you could show me some examples of offending colours, I'll do what I can to re-tune them.

6. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

I'm having this problem too, mainly noticable with the links in the alerts menu. Everything else is good though, liking the upgrades :) *goes to like a load of profile post comments*

7. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

On first glance, the changes look very nice; it all looks and feels like a slightly more "modern" version of what we had before, and that's okay by me. Also, really nice to see the site mascots again! :)

On the contrast thing, I can see where the others are coming from. They're okay with me except when you first look at the Alerts and there's a blue background -- the light grey against that is very hard to see. But here's how they look to me otherwise. I can read all of those fairly well, but (for example) the "your comment" text in the top notification would be tricky with smaller fonts.

For what it's worth, I'm using an AOC i2369vm monitor that I very rarely need to alter display settings on.
    [​IMG]

8. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

On the whole, it does look very nice and clean, and I like it.

I can't add much that hasn't already been said. I do find the animated "sonar" effect on the online icon slightly distracting, but I'll probably get used to it. :)

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  9. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

That's the one, it's also the same on the links to posts from the main page (e.g. the 'latest: threads' for each subforum, and in the new post box), the user links on the last message column in the subforums, as well as the links in the 'Members Online Now' box, and to an extent the 'marked forums read', 'search forums', etc.

I can provide screenshots if any of that description isn't clear - on my less than great monitor that shade is a touch too light, you can read it, but not from a distance. I guess it's a small thing.

10. DerpyWhooves

I think it's the same colour for me, only I'm looking at it at half the size. I can read it, it's just harder to do so.

11. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I must admit I'm not keen on the grey text that shows in your notifications when you use the drop down list in the top right corner. It is a bit hard to read.

The rest just sounds like a bunch of minor updates to make things run smoother, which is good. The rest of the sites look is cool too. It's not so different as to be jarring, but it does look neater and more modern. Good work guys!

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  12. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

I must say that I do love the fact that you can now see more than 5 alerts at once on the mobile website!
    The rest of the forum looks good too. However I do also agree on the dropdown alert things colouring being a bit hard to read. The text in this box is also a little hard to see due to the colouring, buts those are minor details and I think it looks great overall!

13. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Yeah the grey notification text looks awful and it quite hard to read, but I am assuming that is due to in progress site changes rather than a new status quo? The same for clear avatars no longer working and the background showing up purple?
    Also I think the Tapatalk app link thats on by default now on android\itunes platforms doesn't look tidy and makes the site feel a little cluttered.

14. Alteran

I tried to turn that off, but they always try and sneak this in anyway. I'll rip it out of their code manually if they're not going to make it easy for me.

I've also swapped out those grey links for purple ones like before - hopefully that will fix the readability issues.

#14 Alteran, 6 September 2016
    Last edited: 6 September 2016
  15. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

That's perfect! :)

16. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

I just noticed. It have no homepage. It's just straight to the forum list. Huh, interesting

17. Alteran

Also just noticed that changing the link colours seems to have changed the colours of the bubbles on the forum index, making me think every section is unread. Will fix that.

18. DerpyWhooves

Yeah, that's great, much easier to read, thank you :)

19. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

On the mobile browser version of the site, the alerts text is now coloured/formatted such that it's hard to see where the links are to click on:

image.png

20. Alteran

I haven't changed that part, so I believe that is "working as designed".