1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Undertale [Steam]

Discussion in 'Games' started by May, 28 September 2015.

1. May

May hOI!!

[This game is very story heavy, so please tag your spoilers.]

Undertale is an interesting and very well done RPG where you have the choice to either kill or spare every enemy, including bosses. It's also unique in that defending involves moving a heart around while bullet-hell like projectiles attack said heart.
    Killing is easier to do, but there's a lot of repercussions to doing so.
    It's an incredible game where every element is fantastic, from the soundtrack, story, humour, gameplay and graphical style.

It can be bought here for £6.99.

2. Pinwheel

Pinwheel Memes of Dreams

hOI!

I am determined to bring this thread to life as Undertale is possibly the best game I have ever played. If this thread does become bustling I expect a LOT of spoiler brackets.

bOI!

3. Magpie

Magpie Burd, Wielder of the West Country Logic

*Begins shoveling dirt on top of Pinwheel and the thread.

I am not willing to love this game until I beat the final boss of the genocide route, on four hours now of attempts and I still have not got the pattern worked out. :(

4. Pinwheel

Pinwheel Memes of Dreams

Are you having... a bad time? Hope you've done a pacifist run first.

5. Magpie

Its my final run: Neutral -> Pacifist -> Genocide
    I feel my sins crawling on my back. :(

6. Pinwheel

Pinwheel Memes of Dreams

NOW YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK

Magpie likes this.
  7. Magpie

I will use the save functionality to reset the timeline and stop myself from making such a grave mistake. ;)

8. Pinwheel

Pinwheel Memes of Dreams

Even after a true reset the pacifist ending is permanently effected

9. Magpie

Not if I give up and retreat from my battle with Sans by using the reset. :p

10. BLame

BLame That Devonshire Mug.

So I got given this on Steam by a friend for Christmas, haven't gotten around to playing it yet as I already have tons of other things to be playing and limited time currently. Can someone explain to me why it's so popular? Every time I've asked elsewhere, I typically get told "omg it's sooooo good you need to play it" which isn't terribly helpful as an answer to that question.

I'll probably make a start with it once I have space to myself in the new year, am I likely to have much joy with it if I'm no good with bullet hell games? I heard some parts of gameplay were similar.

11. Magpie

It's easy to pick up, has clever writing and it has quite a bit of humour embodied in the gameplay. Its a classic example of an indie game doing it right hence why it is so popular.

Unfortunately like you've been told you really need to play it yourself as otherwise it is like explaining a joke to someone who doesn't get it.

Also technically it is a bullet storm but it's not on the level you're expecting, there were only a few occasions I struggled and even then it was just a matter of practicing the stage enough times.

12. Pinwheel

Pinwheel Memes of Dreams

It's difficult to tell you why I love it without spoiling parts, the more blind you go in the better. I fell in love with every character I met, it's clever, it's self aware, it breaks the 4th to the point where it lies in tatters. It's also a game in which combat is a test, "how hard are you willing to try to save everyone?". I recommend avoiding killing everyone on your first run and I recommend you go through and kill no one (which is very doable) before, and if, you decide to kill everyone. A "genocide" run will permanently effect your game.

I can't say more without spoiling but I recommend it strongly if you're a fan of interesting stories, emotional rollercoasters and skeletons.
    In terms of gameplay length, it's about 6 hours long.

13. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

Well, this is bloody good.

Removing my Steam copy from the cursed Genocide Run is harder than it sounds. Any other ways to start fresh?

Update-- found the solution.

#13 Corduroy Road, 3 February 2016
    Last edited: 3 February 2016
  14. Magpie

Oh dear you took that route, well you were warned that you would have a bad time.

Corduroy Road likes this.
  15. BLame

BLame That Devonshire Mug.

I got started a little while back, played for a couple of hours, the game seems kind of neat so far although I haven't been able to bring myself to launch it again to continue. Confrontations are more annoying than enjoyable though so far.

I'm being a pacifist, and end every encounter with 0XP (presumably because nobody is killed), is this normal and to be expected? Will I be getting more HP further down the line to go with the increasing damage of enemies?

16. Corduroy Road

Does 20 kills astute a bad-ish ending? Now I have the files cleared, I'm morbidly curious about taking the game to its extreme. I'll spare everything on the third go.

17. Pinwheel

Pinwheel Memes of Dreams

The only way to gain XP is to kill a monster. You can increase your health beyond the max by resting in an inn/hotel.

18. Corduroy Road

I felt like I missed something after my recent playthrough...

...of my genocide run of killing all the key characters and finishing off Asgore as my 50th victim. I should have spared him and watch the first mercy ending that would have given an interesting outcome than meeting that pansy Flowey again. Too late for that as I am going through a pacifist run for the true ending now. Don't tell me how to make Sans fight me because I'm figuring this out for myself.

19. Magpie

Let's just say you have not gone far enough... ;)

20. Corduroy Road

Moar kills?

But it takes a couple of hours to get that far. T-T