1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

US Presidential Election 2016

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Wisdom Pen, 8 December 2015.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

"Calexit" really doesn't have the same ring to it, at least it doesn't sound like a breakfast bar though.

SRainboom likes this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Not going to happen; not a chance in a million years. This Vox article gives a detailed and very clear run-down of why it's virtually impossible, but in brief:

* Trump's margin is 73 (306-233) -- so 37 "faithless electors" would have to switch directly from Trump to Clinton. The total number in the whole of the past century is nine. Clinton would need 400 years' worth in one go.

* The vast majority of Republican politicians who detest Trump also detest Clinton. One or two might conceivably vote for a third-party candidate like Gary Johnson, but Clinton? No way.

* A 19th-century law says that if there are multiple conflicting sets of electoral college votes, the final decision must be made by Congress -- both Houses of which have Republican majorities.

* Clinton herself has officially and publicly conceded. There is precisely zero indication that she would support a move like this. Indeed, she might well refuse to serve under such circumstances anyway.

So... it's technically possible. But only in the same way that it's technically possible for me to be ennobled and immediately made Prime Minister. :p

3. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

It does! New Brexit bars, now with 68.48u3kb% more fibre and hydroneuroelectrolites to really schmingle your... shleeb receptors.

Parthidens and Cloudane like this.
  4. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

This is one of the weird things in America. The Electoral College.

If my memory serves me correct, they vote on the 18th December (could be wrong, don't quote me on that date). Only some states have laws that say that their delegates must vote the way that their state voted. In such a situation, some delegates can vote however they like. This, however has not been done in a very, very long time though. I can imagine the outcry from Trump and his supporters if Electoral College does block him out in December. What's more interesting is how they deal with Trump after having been declared President Elect. He's already had his tour of White House, he's already been let into military secrets, he's already gotten Chris Christie in Obama's cabinet to overlook what they're doing and facilitate transition to a Trump cabinet.

Not to mention, how does Trump deal with the fact that he's now going back on his election promises? He's already declared that Obamacare is brilliant after claiming it'd be the first thing he abolishes...

I'm stumped as to how this guy is operating, and what on earth he's doing.

On some other news, German media is producing headline after headline of how the West is over, how America is now dead and now Putin takes over Europe... No surprise considering many German newspapers actually printed for Wednesday morning that Hillary had made history. I guess it's the problem with having to go to print before the first results are in from the US...

Parthidens likes this.
  5. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Ah.......:)