1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

West Midlands Brony Meetup?

Discussion in 'Proposed Events and Requests' started by Squall, 17 April 2016.

1. Squall

Squall Silly Pony

This is a call for anyone within the West Midlands or surrounding areas, who are willing to gather for regular meetups monthly in a variety of locations.

Now, I particularly wish to gauge interest for those who live in Shropshire and Staffordshire, though of course folks from Wolverhampton, Birmingham, and the like are also encouraged if they wish to.

Having discussed with local friends, we feel there are three good central locations for a meet within these counties. Any more suggestions are also encouraged!

Stafford, Telford, and Wolverhampton appear to be good choices.

If anyone knows of any groups that already exist for these ranges, do inform me so I know.
    Otherwise, post your ideas and proposals below!

View the confirmed post here: http://www.ukofequestria.co.uk/threads/west-midlands-brony-meet.17666/

We now have a Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690698851203805/

#1 Squall, 17 April 2016
    Last edited: 27 April 2016
    Medley likes this.
  2. Medley

Medley Habitual Pony

yes

Squall likes this.
  3. Squall

Squall Silly Pony

Your contribution is greatly appreciated Medley XD

4. Fridge

Fridge Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.

You know I'm happy to be involved.

Personally I think Stafford could be good for a change of pace, But Wolves is easy for most people to get to through public transport etc.

Squall likes this.
  5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Keeping half an eye on this one myself -- yes, I live in Worcestershire, but I'm only about a mile from the Shropshire border, and I was born in Wolverhampton (which is in Staffs traditionally!). Never made it to the old Shropshire meets, but that was mostly because they were on Sundays (= no early-morning trains from here).

All the three places mentioned by @Squall in the original post have their merits. Won't state a preference here as it's only fair that you guys who may become regulars decide that.

I'm more than happy to give you a mention at the Worcester meet, though I think most of our regulars are from south of BIrmingham so I don't know how much interest there'd be. I hope you do get something up and running, though, as it would be great to see more Midlands representation on the meet scene! :)

Squall likes this.
  6. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

All those places are relatively easy to get to for me as well (shorter than going to Worcester at least).

Maybe a Worcester-meets-on-tour could be in order?

Gyroprodius and Squall like this.
  7. Squall

Squall Silly Pony

Ah I see, could be a good idea there @Oilyvalves!

It sounds like Wolverhampton is a good idea, as it has the most to do, and a better transport link. I should ask @Fridge of his expertise, knowing the area more than the rest of us.

And yes @Loganberry, the meets will definately not be on a Sunday :p

Speaking of, which day of the week shall we settle on? Saturday? The only other option I really have is Thursday unfortunately ^^;

8. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

Leicester here
    I think we should take all the meets on Tour :D we could go to All the meets

Gyroprodius likes this.
  9. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Hello Leicester.

I agree, all the meets go to all the meets! :p

10. Gyroprodius

Gyroprodius Actually Supernothing.

Hey there! Another West Midlander (Solihull) and wondering Worcs Brony here. I've had a look at some if the transport links and all three are easily accessible from New Street- at most 50 minutes out and ~£10.50 ret.
    I'd really consider coming along to one of these since it is a little closer to me than Worcester. I'll keep and eye on developments here for sure!

Squall likes this.
  11. Squall

Squall Silly Pony

@vcgriffin @Oilyvalves , that's actually not a bad idea, for those that can afford to! Get to go around england and visit every group with every group :p

Goodness, I didn't actually expect a turn out for this on a first try, to be honest. You'll certainly be more than welcome to meet us there! People seem to prefer this over having to go to Worcester, and I'm glad there's now going to be somewhere else a little easier to access.

With the arrival of good news, I think it's onto arranging when and where we meet. Suggestions everyone?

12. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Hey, I hope they don't stop coming to Worcester, since we'd really miss them if they did! It wouldn't be much of a result if the result of adding a new meetup was seeing another one wither away. :(

I think there's room for both, though. Leicester and Nottingham are a pretty good example: less than 30 miles between them, but both are active. So hopefully both the West Mids one and the Worcester one can thrive in, well, harmony. :)

13. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

My free weekends are sadly very few and far between, so I unfortunately can't commit to being a regular attender, but I'm certainly willing to give this one a go some time.

With regards to attending lots of meets, I do enjoy getting to visit different parts of the country, but I'm conscience there's also a limit to the amount of people one person can reasonably handle meeting and getting to know. I don't plan on giving up on the people I've already established connections with any time soon.

14. Squall

Squall Silly Pony

@Loganberry @Oilyvalves , Oh of course, I would never dream of replacing other connections or anything like that. And I was merely mentioning that it's good to hear these locations I have planned are a little easier to trek to for some. It means it won't be just me there alone :eek:

Anyways, Saturdays in Wolverhampton are the best bet, and I think we should start it up early May? May 7th perhaps? Then we can go monthly from there. I'll just drop @Fridge a message to see where we could visit and meet up in Wolverhampton.

Loganberry likes this.
  15. Nytheris

Nytheris Honorary Pony

I like the sound of this. I should be free on the 7th :D

16. Gyroprodius

Gyroprodius Actually Supernothing.

7th sounds really good. I should accumulate sufficient funding and free time by then.

17. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I'll have to pass on that unfortunately, May's not a good month for me in general.

18. Squall

Squall Silly Pony

@Oilyvalves, we'll have it on the first saturday of every month. If it doesn't suit enough people, we'll move it to another week.
    @Fridge will not be able to attend this one either it seems.

Would another Saturday be better for everyone here? Or is current attendance enough? We likely have me, @Medley , @Gyroprodius , @Nytheris so far.

@Loganberry , @vcgriffin , shall you be attending this one?

Apologies if I may overuse tags. I like to ensure everyone gets the notification. Many times people won't check back on threads I seem to make :p

19. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I based in Coventry (currently, at least) and would be interested in this. Wolverhampton shouldn't be too difficult to get to. Possibly decide nearer the time depending on how busy I am.

Squall likes this.
  20. Squall

Squall Silly Pony

Ah, hopefully we'll see you there then! The more the merrier ^^ Please remember to let us know if you're coming for sure

In a few days I'll put information about us in the confirmed thread, make a facebook group, and gather some contact details about you all, if I may. We'll wanna make sure no one gets lost or can't find us.