1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What annoys you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Blaze_Midnight, 3 May 2012.

1. YourElectricityBill

When someone is bragging. No matters what about but it's always anoying.

2. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

When I’m just about to leave work and someone says “Oh, can you just do this real quick?”

It’s never quick. :p

5L0TH likes this.
  3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

People being vague so it feels like they are simultaneously insulting and complimenting you!

4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

1) Alleged transaction fees (for the retailer, as it's illegal to pass them on to the customer now) on contactless payments. I thought the whole point of contactless cards was that for small amounts (<£30... or more if using Apple / Google Pay) even like 50p, you have an alternative to cash. Yet I had a shopkeeper complain at me earlier for using contactless to pay £1 as it eats into their profits. (She "let me off just this once" but wasn't happy). It's no good if you have to find some magic number between x and 30 for it to be acceptable to use. If we end up seeing the "£5 minimum transaction" signs popping up everywhere again then I'll have to seriously question the point of it.

2) The manflu. Just get over one, and another one flares up, over and over, for so far getting on for 5 months. I'm sick of the coughing, the sniffles, the sore throats, the shivering and the headaches... for goodness sake a break would be nice :(

5. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Bexy164 and Robshi like this.
  6. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

For some reason 5Spike aren't showing GFW's Redemption event anywhere, which is the first time one of their events hasn't been broadcast on free UK TV a few days after the live event. It irks me that I'm having to miss out with no real explanation being offered.

I was also at a Magic release draft this weekend and was annoyed that one of my opponents was hurrying me. I felt that it affected my decision making, and it's an event where there are one or two newer players, and is supposed to be casual. The round had not long since started too, so it was completed unnecessary.

7. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

When you see an item on eBay where the product is cheap, but the postage is expensive. I know why sellers do it, but it's annoying.

8. Cendaquenta

It's been about 2 years since we moved in and we're still getting post for the guy who lived here before us. :rolleyes:

9. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

We’ve lived in our current place for nearly 10 years, and we still occasionally get stuff for previous residents. :p

10. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I nearly ended up crashing into someone today because they clearly didn't look before pulling out onto a busy high street. Thankfully there was no harm done.

Also, taking old rubbish to my local tip is a lot more complicated than it has any right to be. It would've helped if there was some clear lists of examples of where to put various objects. I was practically asking the staff there about every single item I took because I was that confused. :confused:

11. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

“Are you still watching the ITV Hub?” :rolleyes:

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  12. Recurrent Trotting

bits of my body not accomodating my addiction to making a computer horse jump over obstacles

friggin ultimate chicken horse game :p due to weekend of addiction I can barely click a mouse now

13. ConfusticatedPony

ConfusticatedPony Active Pony

bronies..................

14. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

You're in the wrong neighbourhood here brah :p

Mild irritation: pub guy just drops his dog's lead to let it roam about. So it's wandering around a laminate floor with the (metal chain) lead dragging around behind it all evening. Argh just take the lead off!

15. Cendaquenta

Poor puppy, that's a recipe for injury. :c

16. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Had to deal with the "we don't do receipts anymore" guy again, and he started to grumble about having to "override the system" to print a one-off one, while still everyone else who works there prints them without asking.

17. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

A little thing, especially as I'm not much of a football fan... but the constant complaints about the word "soccer" being an Americanism when, er, it isn't. It comes from late 19th century English public school/university slang for "association football" -- it's the same thing that led to "rugby football" being called "rugger" in similar circles.

Yes, it's true that nowadays "soccer" isn't used that much in Britain, but it was very widely used in this country up to the 1970s or so -- for example, Danny Blanchflower published a book in 1955 called Soccer My Way and Ray Wilson's 1969 autobiography was called My Life in Soccer. Nobody at the time thought those titles were American.

So no, the word "soccer" is absolutely not an Americanism. It's one of ours.

DerpyWhooves and Cuttleshock like this.
  18. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

The term Soccer is also used in countries like Australia and even Ireland as they have another version of football which is more popular (Aussie Rules and Gaelic respectively). Honestly, speaking as someone who loves the Association version, it doesn't annoy me at all that some people call it Soccer and we use in this country for the highly popular Soccer Saturday show on Sky Sports and I've never seen anyone complain about it!

19. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I have a slight problem with that reasoning, although I agree it's generally silly to complain about these things when everyone knows what 'soccer' means, surely though it only matters where a particular term is used now rather than where it originated. Plenty of '-isms' come from a particular word falling out of fashion in one area and not another. I would still call it an Americanism on the basis that right now it's used in American English significantly more than here.

Loganberry likes this.
  20. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Yeah, that's reasonable. After all, "diaper" is used in Shakespeare (in The Taming of the Shrew) and even as recently as Orwell (in 1984) and probably most people would consider that an American word nowadays. So I think I should modify my whinge a little and say that what specifically irritates me is when people imply that the word "soccer" comes from America. That's an actual factual error, so I think I'm justified in moaning there. :D

Of course usage does change, as you say. "Period" in the sense of "full stop" is an interesting example. In 1800 it was fairly common in British English, but it died out to the extent that for the next two centuries it was pretty much exclusively an Americanism. Just in the last decade or two, probably largely due to the internet, it's come back into British usage a fair bit, especially with younger speakers -- saying "it's wrong, period" instead of "it's wrong, full stop" was a full-on Americanism in 1990 but isn't really now.

I really do need to post this comment now, since English usage fascinates me and if I'm not careful I'll textwall for days! :p