1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What annoys you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Blaze_Midnight, 3 May 2012.

1. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

The whole Nintendo Switch Online debacle. In two ways, my own personal view on it, and people's attitude towards others.

Firstly my personal take. I'm a Nintendo fan, I love their games and their characters. Nintendo's always been one of my favorite game companies, right next to Sega. I'm also a PC gamer. I love PC games, and enjoy them. So as a PC gamer, my opinion is that I paid for a game, I have every right as a consumer to use it. PC gaming online is free, just buy for the game and you're good to go. You don't have to pay Steam or GOG a monthly or annual fee just to play online multiplayer. Having to pay an monthly or annual fee is anti-consumer as it stops the consumer from fully using a product they bought. I hold this opinion strongly, and if anyone disagrees I'm sorry for that.

Nintendo was the last console manufacturer who did not do "paid online." On DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U, you simply bought the game, went online and played without having to worry about paying a monthly or annual fee. Looking at the like/dislike ratio on the Nintendo Switch Online video on YouTube, 7.9K likes, and a massive 36K dislikes. Honestly I can't blame people for not liking this, Nintendo did not require people to pay for online multiplayer, and now you have to pay to play games that you already paid for and bought. As of 11 PM last night, I could not go online in Puyo Puyo Tetris or DOOM. Games I paid for, but couldn't use their multiplayer unless I paid up. As a consumer, it feels like a rip off. I pay for a game, and can't fully play it anymore. I did buy a Nintendo Switch Online subscription this morning for 1 year, $20 a year is easy for me to afford. I can see why people are upset, and why I'm a bit upset too. Right now, the only place for free online multiplayer is PC.

Having to pay to play an online game I already paid for is more of a personal annoyance. What annoys me more are people's attitude towards others. Lurking Twitter I've seen remarks like "If you're too poor to pay $20, you should not even have bought a Switch," or "It's only $20," or even "You bought a $300 game system, a $60 game, you can afford $20." These kind of comments annoy me. Reality is people do hit hard times. Maybe they bought a Switch last year when they were stable, and maybe they hit hard times. Maybe it's a kid who makes an allowance and really can't afford said service. For real, some people have to make the decision "do I pay a bill, or pay to play games online." Just because people are in a tight bind, does not mean they weren't in the past. These people making these comments do not know what kind of situation people are in, they could have been fine yesterday, in hard times today.

Just venting some annoyances I've on this thing, so posting it here. Yeah, it makes me sad Nintendo went the paid online route, but it's more annoying to see people in defense of Nintendo's paid online service lash out at others in such a horrible way.

Robshi, Bexy164 and sten whik like this.
  2. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

McDonald's WiFi. First you have to type your phone number in, then you get a code, type that code, and have to enter your address and name...it's ridiculous...

3. sean retro

sean retro Honorary Pony

When the printer doesn't want to print black. :mad:
    The AVGN put it best about printers.

4. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

The fact that Impact Wrestling PPVs appear to be impossible to view in the UK in any way or form now. How am I supposed to watch and support your show if you give me nothing? The UK is a really strong fanbase for Impact too, so it's baffling they wouldn't give a clear way to actually watch their PPV events. :(

5. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

This is summing up my current little annoyances quite nicely. :p

[​IMG]

6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Not a new complaint/rant, but the fact that it's pretty much impossible to take a reasoned, nuanced stance on certain political issues on Twitter. Brexit is one of course, as is Jeremy Corbyn, but another is Scottish independence: while I strongly suspect that 98% of people are willing to listen to viewpoints that aren't exactly their own, sadly it's the other 2% who spend their time yelling on social media.

I saw this happen in both directions the other day: a person who'd posted a balanced tweet mentioning that not all parts of Scotland were the same when it came to supporting independence* got pretty much simultaneously insulted by someone who took the view that only "sheeple" (they actually used the word!) supported Scotland being in the UK and by someone who took the view that an independent Scotland would quickly become a bankrupt failed state.

* Generally speaking, people living at either end of Scotland (the Borders/the Northern Isles) were much less likely to vote Yes in 2014 than people living in the Central Belt.

Both these attackers were personally unpleasant and aggressive. I don't know what the original poster did as I closed the window in distaste. But you can see what this leads to -- increasing numbers of people who do appreciate shades of grey vacating the field entirely and leaving the fray to the most intense hardliners, who then just proceed to shout abuse at each other and make the place even more miserable for the ordinary people who remain. I mean, what can you do? :(

electrokitty, Robshi and Parthidens like this.
  7. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Xmas trees with flashing lights in shops/restaurants etc. They're so distracting and unpleasant to look at, why can't they have lights that just stay on?

8. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants MagiKing Crimson

in an unusual turn of events, I'm finding myself quite fancy a cup of tea. Weird.

EDIT: When I post in the wrong thread!

#12728 Princess Demandy-pants, 5 December 2018
    Last edited: 5 December 2018
  9. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

The local council sending folk out with chainsaws to work on the trees just over our garden fence - AT 8:30 A.M. Chainsaws.