1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Found a G1/G2/G3 Merch discussion in this area? Let us know so we can move it to the right forum - "Report" the thread to flag it to a member of staff.
  3. Hi Guest, Mista Squishy is running a fundraiser for Children In Need this year. Check out this thread for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A few users have been reporting problems receiving emails from us. Please read this for more info.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What do you do with your merch?

Discussion in 'Friendship is Magic - Merch & Toys' started by Equinox, 1 January 2018.

1. Equinox

Equinox Pony

A bit of a weird question, I know, but I wasn't sure how else I could phrase it. It's something I've been curious about for a while now - the purpose that others in the fandom buy merchandise for. If anyone can think of a better way to say this... feel free to suggest.

By the titular question, I mean: do you tend to keep the items in the package for collecting, open the packaging, give them to your younger family members to play with, play with them yourselves?... et-cetera. And also whether it's more common to buy "useful" items like stationary and clothing, or "recreational" items like plushies and toys.

Apologies if something like this has been asked before - I found threads asking similar questions, but not exactly what I was thinking of (they centred more around what and how much people liked to buy, and not why they were buying it or what for, which is what I'm asking here)

siacool likes this.
  2. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

i typically keep them all boxed up, they dont get damaged or lost as easily that way.

Equinox likes this.
  3. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Depends on the merch. I usually keep most of it in their boxes, but some (like the EQG minis) I take them out of the box and stack them up. Although for a while I've ran out of shelf space and most of it is still in the bags of the shop I bought it from :p

Equinox likes this.
  4. siacool

siacool New Pony

if the toy is made before 2014 or from America I do not open it but I pretty much open all other ponies :)

Equinox likes this.
  5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I've never been a "mint in box" person, so everything I buy will at least be unpacked, even if it's going to spend most of its time in a display box (eg the big Funko vinyls). Besides, a lot of my stuff is made up of books and comics, and there's not much point buying those if I'm not going to read them!
    I don't buy many of the "traditional" toys like brushables, though I have quite a few plushies which get taken to meets and cons quite a bit. I'm not really interested in collecting for its own sake, and while I can admire a wall full of mint brushables or something it doesn't have personal appeal. I mostly prefer merch I can use or do something with -- books, pens, DVDs, calendars, T-shirts etc. Those bags they had in Tesco (may still do) are ideal for me.

Equinox and Cendaquenta like this.
  6. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

I definitely unpackage everything - I may have watched Toy Story a bit too much, I feel like they'll get sad if they're trapped in the packaging. :p That said, since moving house I don't actually have room to unpackage stuff, so the very few items of pony merch I've bought since (mostly proper collectibles, not toys) are still in box.

Equinox likes this.
  7. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I unpack pretty much everything, but I do keep my toys on some shelves for the most part. My Twilight wall would be about 10 times bigger if I kept everything in the package. :p

Equinox, HappyGoLuckyPone and Robshi like this.
  8. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Light

nice question. I don't leave any merch in its box intentionally

with my dvds/comics I let my sister's kids play with them and listen/read them with the kids

with my huge expensive Pinkie plush I jealously guard it from all kids. thing is not a cuddly toy. I hoof bump it continually :3

with the 5k + CCG cards I get a lot of play out of them myself :oops: some of them have travelled across the globe with me and are pretty foxed. I try to protect the expensive cards though and have a few £20+ ones. These are also protected from kiddies, but more because they tend to disorganise em

my pinkie mug, vinyls and such are just ornaments that lie about the house

Equinox likes this.
  9. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

All my pony stuff is unboxed and all my little figures are on display on a shelf in my room. I have a pile of comics in sleeves in a box that I enjoy reading, with some comic anthologies on my book shelf. I also have a Tempest Build a Bear plushie who is stood up on a rocking chair surveying the room.

Equinox likes this.
  10. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Varies with me. I tend to keep them boxed if they look nicely displayed that way. Other times, I'll take them out of the packaging and display them, or even use them for pictures. Most importantly, plushies get snuggled. :3 I do keep the tags on the Ty ponies. I have doubles of those, one to collect and keep the tags on, and one for what I usually do with plushies, snuggle them, or take pictures of them in cute scenes.

Clothing, I tend to wear my shirts a lot. Sometimes, I may get an extra of the same shirt if I wear it a lot. They're mostly sold online, so I can't just go to my local store and buy another shirt, so for ones I wear a lot, I keep an extra on hand for that reason.

Equinox likes this.
  11. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

I unbox everything and throw the packaging away. It's a collection but they're also toys - they should be handled and displayed and appreciated without constraints. Lol.

My collection currently consists of brushables, fashion styles, equestria girls dolls, Funkos, plushies, gen 1 and 3 brushables as well together with comics, blind bags and some other odds and ends. (Other fandoms are sharing space with them all too.) I don't usually go for "practical" items as never seem to use them.

I have a 6.5-7 foot cupboard where I keep my collection. (It's my version of a "man cave" or shed as it keeps the rest of the house tidy and minimalist and the non-brony-non-disney husband free from rainbow coloured toys!)

I'm actually trimming my collection again so feel free to look at the traders' section... The cupboard is getting full! I'm deciding which collections to focus on and where I see my collection in the future which is tough but important. I only want to keep items that speak to me.

#11 Bronydiferous, 1 April 2018
    Last edited: 1 April 2018
    Equinox likes this.
  12. Cheese Sandwich

Cheese Sandwich New Pony

I tend to take my Guardians of Harmony figures out of their packaging and have them on display on my cabinet in the living room. The accessories they come with usually stay in box so they don't get lost or because they're too big and take up too much room on the shelf. I then keep all the boxes safe in a cupboard. I first started displaying them in their packaging but as my collection grew I ended up running out of space so I decided to take them out.
    My books and Tales of Equestria RPG things I keep on my bookshelf with my other non-pony books.

Equinox likes this.
  13. Equinox

Equinox Pony

Thanks everyone for your replies! I suppose I should have expected that there wouldn't be too much of a consensus, though I'm getting that most of you prefer to unbox your merch.

I just realised I should probably also chime in considering I asked the question in the first place.
    I keep my brushables in two boxes (the original box got filled up) but I plan to make a display shelf for all my favourite figures. I have a box full of CCG cards, but I hope to trim that down so that I only have a handful, since that was what I intended to have in the first place and I don't even play the game. I also have various other things such as stationary items, mini comics, posters and figures... but listing all of them would take forever, so I'll spare you the reading.
    Same here, actually, might do what you did and hit the traders' section too. I like all of my merch (which is why I bought it in the first place) but I don't know what to do with a lot of it.

14. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

I never really play with them and mainly just display them on my trusty wooden shelf.

Equinox likes this.