1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What does it take to be "Famous" in the Brony community?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Wisdom Pen, 30 May 2013.

1. Wisdom Pen

Wisdom Pen Residential Philosopher and Wizard of Lincoln

oh yeah if you were wondering this is the original song that i copied off of

Sethito he's a hero's got a super-blog
    And I hear that Living Tombstone is a Brony God
    And Eurobrony gets views of millions
    And I just get viewed three
    Oh everybronies makin' it big but me

Oh, everybody's makin' it big but me
    Everybody's makin' it big but me
    Wooden Toaster sings for Toasters
    And here's toast-fork me
    Oh everybronies makin' it big but me

Well I hear that AcousticBrony's got a Foxy Mare
    To wipe off his brow and make the other colts stare
    And (Mic the)Microphones got two fine fillies
    And Philsterman's got three
    And I'm still seein' them same old donkeys, that I used to see

Oh, everybronies makin' it big but me
    Yeah everybronies makin' it big but me
    I've got the software
    And creativity
    Oh how come everybronies makin' it big but me?

(What's wrong with that?)
    (I don't see nothing wrong with it Ray)

Well I make the grim-dark fics
    Just like Aurara does
    And I use the same program
    That Poniator does
    And I even put some Cosplay on
    But that just hurt my Dad and Mom
    And everybronies makin' it big but me

Oh, everybronies makin' it big but me
    Yeah everybronies makin' it big but me
    They got fans comin' over to their booths
    And noones come to shake my hoof
    And everybronies makin' it big but me

Everybronies makin' it, makin' it, makin' it
    Everybronies makin' it big x3

Everybronies makin' it big but me!

2. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Well-Known Pony

Greetings likes this.
  3. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

If there's ten people who you've never spoken to in person before who care about you then you've made it big in my opinion.
    Yeah that was an opinion, not a real answer. But you can't exactly answer a question like this, everyone wants to be famous. But if to be famous is to "have a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature;" then no one really is famous because nothing is really common, to use another term for widespread.

If you want to TL;DR that then, Who cares? Do what you like and Have fun while doing it, if you're not then take a break and look at yourself and ask if you're who you wanna be.

#43 Silvarrn, 1 June 2013
    Last edited: 1 June 2013
  4. TheDamnedScribe

TheDamnedScribe Royal Guard Armourer

Loving the Dr Hook reference.

As I know a few of the Pre-Readers, and other reviewers besides, I feel obligated to say this: They have very high standards regardless of what they're given. Several of them are doing English-based qualifications, and so want people to be writing "properly" (grammar, etc.). They give pointers, instruction, and in some cases flat-out teach people how to write. They get annoyed when they give feedback, explain how to improve the story, etc., and the author comes back having ignored them/told them where to go, and simply re-submits something that is, frankly, utter rubbish (not saying this is everything, but it has happened). They are primarily american, and so don't get a lot of our humour (this is something that has affected my own fic-related encounters with them), so we should look to generalise, to a certain extent, to the wider audience. Remember that we are the smaller contingent of pony-fans.

5. Ripp_

Ripp_ Now in Smoky Bacon flavour.

Hmmmm no, If you can't get famous doing what you love there is no point trying.
    You really want to work hard doing something you don't like just so other people will like you?
    (Ok yours is a lesser case but my point is valid in more extream situations)

6. Wisdom Pen

Thanks I actually showed it to all the Bronies referenced in it and alot of them liked it especially my Elton John/Mic the Microphones reference
    and yeah they should probably get some British pre-readers to do the British stuff it would help with the deviations in grammar as well, and the cultural references.

7. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

The person I'm talking about is American, and only submitted it once. I guess he caught one of them on a bad day.

I don't mean to be overly negative about EQD (it's mostly a solidarity thing) but yeah.

8. Hazzat

Hazzat Nothin' wrong with lookin' good while doin' good

This is basically it. Be really good at something, stick ponies in it and bronies will lap it up.

The problem arises when the market you're entering is already oversaturated. If you're gonna do something like make music, do art or make animations there's a lot out there already and you'll find it impossible to get noticed. The way to crack it is to find a creative and original spin on whatever it is you're doing and you'll take the world by storm.

If you look at the most popular brony media today, that's what they've done. Name any really "famous" brony and chances are they were the first to do what they did. PONY.MOV is arguably the most popular thing the fanbase has seen, and it's because no one had done anything quite like it before. Eurobeat Brony was the very first pony-related musician, and he had a sound many of us had never experienced. AcousticBrony had their big break when they were the first to a unique theme tune for each pony. Ask Princess Molestia introduced a whole new brand of lewd humour. Friendship is Magic Bi*** was completely nuts and out of the blue, got over a million views and has left a banana-shaped mark in its wake.

Bring something new to the table. Everyone wants to see it.

#48 Hazzat, 2 June 2013
    Last edited: 2 June 2013
  9. TheDamnedScribe

So, where exactly did I write "Betray yourself and pander to people"...?

I meant that, if you want to reach an audience that isn't solely the UK ponyfans (which, frankly, if you're submitting stuff to EQD then you are certainly aiming at worldwide exposure), you may [MAY] need to change the wording slightly, or alter the joke slightly, so that more people get the joke. You won't need to do it with everything, but some things you will. People from other countries just plain won't get every bit of british humour, colloquiallism, or whatever . Prime example was when I was having some excerpts from my fic looked over, and the phrase "Oh, we're in the s**t now..." was flagged. Some of the them just didn't get it, because they just don't see/hear that phrase on their side of the pond.

10. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Which does, of course, stop you doing anything too original. The one thing I ever submitted was turned down -- now, had it been turned down purely on quality grounds I'd have had no cause for complaint. What I'd written was good, fun and enjoyable, but it wasn't going to win a Nobel Prize. And when I asked for clarification (as you're entitled to do) the reply I had then was very fair-minded. I was irritated, though, that the original reply turned down what I'd done simply on the grounds that "we're not interested" in the style I'd used -- something which hadn't come across very well at all from any of the reams of guidance I'd made very sure to read first. Which is a long-winded way of partially agreeing with you, ie saying that if you want to do something truly different, I'm not sure EqD is likely to be the best place to submit it.

11. TheDamnedScribe

As I said before, when I said generalise, I meant the language used to get the point across, rather than writing unoriginal stories.

Out of curiosity, what was the fic about? I know that they did go through a period of... disinterest... in human in equestria/pony on earth-type stuff, because they were getting large quantities of bad quality fics (both in terms of english used and subject matter).

12. Wisdom Pen

My friend wrote a fic which was litterally a written version of this but he made it about 5 months before this which makes me think they got the inspiration from his fic,

but it was rejected because he thought the duesl were too complex and people wouldn't follow the storyline (basically saying that hed never watched yugioh) and therefore rejected it but my mate put it in again and a different pre-reader loved it and let it through even though my mate didnt edit it one iota

13. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

It was a Mane Six adventure told as a four-part epic poem. As there are hardly any of those around, I guess I might as well come right out and say that basically, it was what's now The Ballad of Wyverns' Rock. Although I'm quite proud of it, it's not pro-standard writing -- in fact, I don't think it's even the best-written thing I have up on FimFiction -- which is why I said a quality-based rejection would have been fair enough. My disappointment wasn't at being rejected per se; it was at being rejected primarily, or so it appeared, because it was a long(ish) poem and (so I was told) EqD readers weren't interested in poetry. The follow-up I got after requesting clarification explained things better, and I have no complaints about that.

14. EileMonty

EileMonty Pony

I am here! Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa! ... Tehee :p

15. Wisdom Pen

*squee* :) i love your work

EileMonty likes this.